• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tunnels Gun Rights Thread

My wife and I are currently considering buying a gun. I would like for her to take a safety class with me (I had a CCP in VA) and it's amazing how many 90 minute "safety classes" there are in this area.

I personally feel that to buy a weapon it should require a safety class that lasts longer than an episode of The Walking Dead.

I also support a ban on high capacity magazines.

A friend of mine (a lefty, FWIW) made an interesting observation: so long as the United States maintains its firearms policy, it is unconquerable by an outside power. The only way America ends is by consent or WMD.

Isn't one of the main rules of gun ownership that you're not supposed to pull it out unless you are ready to kill someone?

I always felt that if a veteran wanted to go out and buy a low capacity semi-auto version of the full auto weapon they used in the service (or a retired LEO, etc.) so they could take it to the range, why shouldn't they be able to do that if they pass the background check? I know several vets who have bought semi auto AR's and rigged them up the way they liked them before, but they just target shoot or use them on nuisance animals like coyotes in rural areas. I don't own one because I feel like they're a waste of money and I also feel that if I walked around with an AR I'd just look like a GI Joe wannabe, which a lot of AR-15 owners are. I was never in the military, have no idea how to operate those weapons and would feel like a douche strutting around with one.

Last edited:
A friend of mine (a lefty, FWIW) made an interesting observation: so long as the United States maintains its firearms policy, it is unconquerable by an outside power. The only way America ends is by consent or WMD.

lulzzzzzzzzzz

no

I always felt that if a veteran wanted to go out and buy a low capacity semi-auto version of the full auto weapon they used in the service (or a retired LEO, etc.) so they could take it to the range, why shouldn't they be able to do that if they pass the background check? I know several vets who have bought semi auto AR's and rigged them up the way they liked them before, but they just target shoot or use them on nuisance animals like coyotes in rural areas. I don't own one because I feel like they're a waste of money and I also feel that if I walked around with an AR I'd just look like a GI Joe wannabe, which a lot of AR-15 owners are. I was never in the military, have no idea how to operate those weapons and would feel like a douche strutting around with one.

Don't sell yourself short. I think you can get there without a gun.

Pretty good track record of foreign powers toppling the United States?

thank two giant oceans

and the last time a nation invaded, they burned our capital and ended the war because they were too busy fighting napoleon

Last edited:
Pretty good track record of foreign powers toppling the United States?

Well with logic like that....

BGysLK.gif

My wife and I are currently considering buying a gun. I would like for her to take a safety class with me (I had a CCP in VA) and it's amazing how many 90 minute "safety classes" there are in this area.

I personally feel that to buy a weapon it should require a safety class that lasts longer than an episode of The Walking Dead.

I also support a ban on high capacity magazines.

They aren't perfect, but here are Florida's education requirements for a CWP. I took the hunter's education course as a teen, which was a week with a field day. Unfortunately these half day gun show classes also seem to qualify and I don't like that.

Florida law requires you to submit proof of competency with a firearm in order to qualify for a concealed weapon license. A copy of a CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION or similar document from any of the following courses or classes is acceptable:
Any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency in another state;
Any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
Any firearm safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
Any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
Any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association.
The copy of the training certificate/document must be clear and legible and must include:
Your name,
Your instructor's name,
Your instructor's qualifications/credentials (National Rifle Association instructor, law enforcement firearms instructor, Class "K" Firearm Instructor licensed by the State of Florida, etc.), and
Your instructor's license/certification number.
Other acceptable forms of training documentation include the following:
Documentary evidence of experience with a firearm obtained through participation in organized shooting competition;
Active-duty military personnel may submit copies of any of the following documents that confirm your experience with a firearm gained during your service:
Military orders including call to active-duty letter;
A statement of military service signed by, or at the direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters which identifies you and provides your date of entry on your current active-duty period;
Former military personnel can submit a DD Form 214 reflecting honorable discharge from military service.

Right but anybody in FL who doesn't want a CWP can still buy a gun.

I 100% agree with this. I would love to hear why, outside of military usage, anybody needs large capacity magazines for civilian life.

Doesn't matter. Constitution doesn't limit magazines.

I'm pretty anti-gun, but would totally fine with using "ARs" or whatever to shoot at the range if the weapons were required to be left there.

Right but anybody in FL who doesn't want a CWP can still buy a gun.

Yeah but you can't walk out the door of a gun store with it. Three day waiting period.

Gunshows are a problem down here though. They are basically gunrunning bandits who often sell defective products and don't follow any background check requirements. I have gone to several out of curiosity but never purchased a gun at one. Both the crowds and the vendors seem shady AF.

My parents have an AR-15 that my brother used to use to maintain his marksmanship while in the reserves.

Back