• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Two movies- Pain & Gain The Company You Keep

Thank god you were able to understand it and explain it to us mere neanderthals.

Haha, it's pretty comical how you have a snarky comment to make every time I post. Literally every review I have read has also pointed to it being a satire. Some say it succeeds, some say it doesn't. RJ didn't mention it being a satire at all, and I was just adding in that I thought the was reading it wrong. Get over your inferiority complex dude.

Haha, it's pretty comical how you have a snarky comment to make every time I post. Literally every review I have read has also pointed to it being a satire. Some say it succeeds, some say it doesn't. RJ didn't mention it being a satire at all, and I was just adding in that I thought the was reading it wrong. Get over your inferiority complex dude.

Satire= fanatic's excuse for bad film

I feel like every movie that sucks just gets billed as satire, some movies just suck.

Yes they do. This movie though is a pretty clear satire. Michael Bay, one of the most over-the-top, bombastic filmmakers of all time, makes a movie about three dumbasses chasing down the "American Dream," while in the process making fun of his own directing style. I'm not sure how it could be construed as anything other than satire.

Satire= fanatic's excuse for bad film
So, even though the Rotten Tomatoes blurb, which takes into account every review and tries to sum up the general consensus, says "It may be his most thought-provoking film to date, but Michael Bay's Pain & Gain ultimately loses its satirical edge in a stylized flurry of violent spectacle" I'm just making the satire thing up out of thin air? Half of the reviews think it succeeds in being a satire, half don't. Yet you seem unable to conceive the possibility that someone could like the movie, and god-forbid someone actually read into it as a satire of American excess.

It doesn't suck. You just have to take it as separate from the true life events on which it was based. I really liked it. My brother really liked it. RJ is the first person I've heard that hated if so much.

I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it very much.

It reminded me of a weird hybrid of Very Bad Things (one of my favorites) and Magic Mike, cribbing more of its tone from the latter rather than the former.

I didn't mind watching utterly unlikable protagonists as much as I hate the casual homophobia, cardboard characterizations, and Michael Bay's trademark contempt for both his characters and the audience.

If the premise interests you, and the trailer interests you, go watch the damn movie and stop worrying so much about what every wanna-be siskel & ebert think. It's a movie not a damn blender, what kind of nutless brain dead life are you living where you need the world to approve everything first before you try it.

So ... you can't?

So, even though the Rotten Tomatoes blurb, which takes into account every review and tries to sum up the general consensus, says "It may be his most thought-provoking film to date, but Michael Bay's Pain & Gain ultimately loses its satirical edge in a stylized flurry of violent spectacle" I'm just making the satire thing up out of thin air? Half of the reviews think it succeeds in being a satire, half don't. Yet you seem unable to conceive the possibility that someone could like the movie, and god-forbid someone actually read into it as a satire of American excess.

Anyone who thinks this is works on any level is mistaken. To be a satire it has to have a significant amount of humor. There isn't.

It seems like if a movie is bad enough you automatically call it a satire rather than that it sucks.

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks this is works on any level is an idiot. To be a satire it has to have a significant amount of humor. There isn't.

It seems like if a movie is bad enough you automatically call it a satire rather than that it sucks.
Nothing more to be said. This sums up why everyone hates you.

Anyone who thinks this is works on any level is an idiot. To be a satire it has to have a significant amount of humor. There isn't.

A lot of the satire has to do with the gym culture and from what I gather that has never been your preferred method of strength training.

For me the best example of the satire was when Mark Wahlberg "needs to get a pump" and the Rock is having a very serious discussion on God's forgiveness while intermittently critiquing his form and encouraging him as he lifts.

A lot of the satire has to do with the gym culture and from what I gather that has never been your preferred method of strength training.

For me the best example of the satire was when Mark Wahlberg "needs to get a pump" and the Rock is having a very serious discussion on God's forgiveness while intermittently critiquing his form and encouraging him as he lifts.

Hahah, that was hilarious. "Yeah get it. There you go." Wahlberg playing basketball with the kids was also very funny.

Three short semi-funny scenes in a 129 minute movie doesn't make it funny. There was no set up for the bball scene and it wasn't funny. It could have been funny, but it wasn't and was disjointed.

Three short semi-funny scenes in a 129 minute movie doesn't make it funny. There was no set up for the bball scene and it wasn't funny. It could have been funny, but it wasn't and was disjointed.

So, you're saying you didn't like it?

Is it because you're offended that The Rock tried to "save" Tony Shaloub?

No set up? The whole movies portrayal of these characters was a set up for that scene. These guys, much like Bay, don't know what restraint is. Bay was making fun of that, he was poking fun at himself.

So, you're saying you didn't like it?

Is it because you're offended that The Rock tried to "save" Tony Shaloub?

I never said anything like that. Why would that upset me?

That's really a personal insult.

No set up? The whole movies portrayal of these characters was a set up for that scene. These guys, much like Bay, don't know what restraint is. Bay was making fun of that, he was poking fun at himself.

Oh please.

I never said anything like that. Why would that upset me?

That's really a personal insult.

You frequently get upset when the Jewish faith is demeaned in any way. I personally thought their treatment of Judaism was somewhat offensive (the same as their treatment of Christianity).

Back