• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Two words

Fuck, even Scotty Montgomery's team has 50 plus points and 630 yards In their first freaking game in his first year at ECU.

What a win for a really good Richmond team. First time beating the Wahoos in 70 years

Great night

Cheater Hill falls in the chicken bowl to UGA. :thumbsup:

Fuck, even Scotty Montgomery's team has 50 plus points and 630 yards In their first freaking game in his first year at ECU.

Big time win against Western Carolina. Lol

But ECU has been better than us for awhile now. Just reality

Big time win against Western Carolina. Lol

But ECU has been better than us for awhile now. Just reality

TM, point is we're on year three and our O is pathetic and Montgomery in 6 months puts up 650 yards of offense and 50 plus points in game one of year one. I don't care if they played North Pitt HS.

UVA football is in a similar situation as Wake hoops. UVA is traditionally a football school. They've only been good in hoops in the 1980s and 2010s. And most UVA folks historically would acknowledge being more into football than hoops (and frankly, the fan base is much more knowledgeable on football than hoops). But this is what 2 successive bad football coaches will do for you. Groh actually started out okay, but then his abrasiveness, amongst other things, pissed off VA HS coaches, and in his last few years, he couldn't recruit the state of VA (which is a pretty good state for recruiting). And London didn't recruit the state that well, and he was probably the worst clock manager I've ever seen. Mendenhall is a really good football coach and did great things at BYU. But he took over a total shite program with little talent to work with. It'll take a few years to get back on track, and I don't know that they will get back on track. Add to that ODU has moved to 1A and will be vying for some of those top 30 VA recruits along with Tech, UVA and UNC and will probably entice some of those 757 folks to stay close to home. UVA and Mendenhall have a tough row to hoe. I'm not sure if either Wake hoops or UVA football will ever get back to where they were.

They made the NCAAs like 2-3 times in the 90s I think. The early Jones years were pretty good, but between the late Jones years and the Gillen and Leitao years they had mostly bad teams. But Staples was fun to watch. He was only like 6'1" but had a quick and high release and could get his shot off unless you were right in his face. And he had about as much of a conscience as Richard Morgan did a few years before him. Two fun 2Gs.

Those teams were pretty good in an absolutely loaded conference.

UVa football will be fine. Way too many resources at their disposal (financial and otherwise) for them not to be good again.

UVA football is in a similar situation as Wake hoops. UVA is traditionally a football school. They've only been good in hoops in the 1980s and 2010s. And most UVA folks historically would acknowledge being more into football than hoops (and frankly, the fan base is much more knowledgeable on football than hoops). But this is what 2 successive bad football coaches will do for you. Groh actually started out okay, but then his abrasiveness, amongst other things, pissed off VA HS coaches, and in his last few years, he couldn't recruit the state of VA (which is a pretty good state for recruiting). And London didn't recruit the state that well, and he was probably the worst clock manager I've ever seen. Mendenhall is a really good football coach and did great things at BYU. But he took over a total shite program with little talent to work with. It'll take a few years to get back on track, and I don't know that they will get back on track. Add to that ODU has moved to 1A and will be vying for some of those top 30 VA recruits along with Tech, UVA and UNC and will probably entice some of those 757 folks to stay close to home. UVA and Mendenhall have a tough row to hoe. I'm not sure if either Wake hoops or UVA football will ever get back to where they were.

You're more in tune with UVA athletics/fanbase but I've always thought of UVA as more of a basketball school.

Both sports have a similar history......they sucked for most of the early ACC years until hiring a coach (Holland/Welsh) that built a successful program over a 15+ year tenure. That coach's successors (Jones/Groh) had similar results over the following 5 years before leaving. Spotty success with next coach.

I guess the difference for me is that UVA basketball has accomplished more. UVA's glory days in football consists of a bunch of 7-9 win seasons & trips to Independence/Peach/Carquest Bowls. Never finished a season ranked higher than #15.

This is just wrong. The fans may prefer football but UVa was nothing in football until hiring George Welsh in 1982. They were bottom of the barrel. From the founding of the ACC to the hiring of Welsh (almost 30 years later), they only had 2 winning seasons. But they did have some good basketball teams in the 1970's, winning the ACC Tourney in 1976.

UVA hoops wasn't good in the 90s? They had the Staplegun!

Bryant Stith, John Crotty, Junior Burroughs, The Alexanders (Corey, Chris), Harold Deane, & Norman Nolan also played for UVA in the 90's. In 95 they were one of the 4 teams to tie for 1st place along w/ WF/UNC/MD. They made the E8 that year.

Meal Ticket, here's someone who agrees with you ... (Paul Woody, columnist, Richmond paper): http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/football/article_d9fb9479-1674-520a-b979-a773c8e88201.html

As for UVa being a football school, devi8 is correct. The Hoos sucked royally in football until Welsh came. LOWF was actually pretty even with UVa in head up matches until Welsh came and beat the Deacons something like 17 straight. Hell, Wake beat UVa when Chuck MF Mills (!) was coach 66-21 ... in Charlottesville ... after leading 50-6 at the half. UVa was really terrible for much of its ACC tenure.

They sucked in both sports till Welsh and Ralph came. They were consistently good in football till about 2005 or so. Hoops were good in the 80s to early/mid 90s. And they've just gotten good in the last few years again. But yeah, most UVA grads and folks I know have been more into football over the years, and I've lived here since 1995.

Back