• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

TX Gov Perry thinknig about running for POTUS

Good article about Perry in the WSJ today. I had no idea that he started out as a Democrat and supported Al Gore in 1988.

Also surprised that Perry and TX lawmakers are pushing through $4 billion in education cuts despite TX having one of the lowest HS graduation rates.

And of course, "Mr. Perry would face questions about whether the country is ready for another Texas Republican after eight years of George W. Bush."

A lot of Democrats swapped parties when they saw the writing on the wall for the future of Texas. That happened throughout the south, really, but especially in Texas, where the state politics are either conservative or more conservative.

Graduation rates in Texas are the way they are because of immigration.

A lot of Democrats swapped parties when they saw the writing on the wall for the future of Texas. That happened throughout the south, really, but especially in Texas, where the state politics are either conservative or more conservative.

Not sure what you are referring to here, but most of the party swapping (Dems becoming Pubs) happened in the '60's as fall out from Civil Rights.

Graduation rates in Texas are the way they are because of immigration.

All 11 of them...

From Gore to far to the right of W. He makes Romney's opportunism look like a piker.

Another example of Perry, and conservatives/teabaggers, being morons.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/20/texas-tsa-bill-groping-_n_880978.html

"Texas Gov. Rick Perry on Monday added to state lawmakers' special session agenda a measure that would criminalize "enhanced pat-downs" by Transportation Security Administration agents at airports in the Lone Star State.

The bill died during the regular session of the Texas Legislature, which ended May 30, and the Republican governor -- who is thinking of running for president -- has been under pressure from conservatives and Tea party groups to ask lawmakers to reconsider the measure. During special sessions, the Legislature may only consider items that the governor puts on the agenda."

These folks won't be satisfied until every Muslim takes a loyalty oath or his hanged from a tree, but God forbid a TSA agent brush their delicate buttocks in an effort to protect the safety of Americans and apprehend actual terrorists.

Also, I've been informed recently on these board that teabaggers are rightly refocusing the party on fiscal issues and not caring a whit about social issues. Yet another example of that claim being bullshit.

In any event, Texas has no authority to do this and Perry should probably know this. But since he dislikes America and wants to secede, let's just grant his wish and he can be the President of Texasland.

Last edited:
Not sure what you are referring to here, but most of the party swapping (Dems becoming Pubs) happened in the '60's as fall out from Civil Rights.

It was a bit later in Texas, where Democrats were the dominant party into the 70s and 80s and even some of the 90s.

All 11 of them...

I'd be surprised if the number is that low. Are you looking at Congress only or also including state reps? And as I said just now, the transformation was slow in Texas, happening over decades. Bush was really the final nail in the coffin for Dems in the state of Texas.

I really don't understand the fascination with a Perry candidacy. He has never been even close to as popular as Bush was when he sought the nomination. Republicans grudgingly vote for him because he's the candidate, but I have never met anybody whose nads are pumped by Perry. Bush, believe it or not, was well liked by folks on both sides of the spectrum as Governor. Perry is just a douche with pretty hair.

I'd be surprised if the number is that low. Are you looking at Congress only or also including state reps? And as I said just now, the transformation was slow in Texas, happening over decades. Bush was really the final nail in the coffin for Dems in the state of Texas.

I was referencing the populace. I've been to Texas, the only people voting democrat are illegal aliens before they are deported. :) and some dude in Galveston.

I really don't understand the fascination with a Perry candidacy. He has never been even close to as popular as Bush was when he sought the nomination. Republicans grudgingly vote for him because he's the candidate, but I have never met anybody whose nads are pumped by Perry. Bush, believe it or not, was well liked by folks on both sides of the spectrum as Governor. Perry is just a douche with pretty hair.

ELC, we disagree on certain things, but this is right on.

I was referencing the populace. I've been to Texas, the only people voting democrat are illegal aliens before they are deported. :) and some dude in Galveston.

ah ok...thought you were talking about converts

ELC is right about state pols. Only 6 Of 47 governors have been pubs including 4 of the last 6. I also agree as one of the few texans on here perry is a douche.

I heard this morning that TX made up for 48% of all new jobs and added more than all states combined and due to tort reform added 20K more doctors. I got to think he at least has the record on jobs which will be important in the 2012 election with the terrible numbers.

He was also for making women look at a sonogram before having an abortion. He was for Texas seceeding if they didn't get their way. He's for an AZ like immigration bill.

Texas also has the next to the worst edcuational system in the cuntry. They have the highest rate of poverty.

If he's on the top of the ticket, Obama may get 75% of the Hispanic vote.

He was also for making women look at a sonogram before having an abortion. He was for Texas seceeding if they didn't get their way. He's for an AZ like immigration bill.

Texas also has the next to the worst edcuational system in the cuntry. They have the highest rate of poverty.

If he's on the top of the ticket, Obama may get 75% of the Hispanic vote.

I doubt social issues will really play into this election. It's going to be JOBS, JOBS, JOBS which he has a tremendous record on.

sorry, Hispanics will not vote for a guy whose anti-imigrant rants are many.

Also what good is a job if it still puts you in poverty? #1 state in the union for poverty.

Here's an ad:

Texas created the most jobs of any state.

Texas created the most poor people of any state.

Do the means justify the ends?

Back