• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

U.S. to Be World’s Top Oil Producer in 5 Years, Report Says

Frank Luntz is behind "clean coal", right? He has to be, that evil fucking genius.

I mean "Democrat." As some here want to believe...

So, we should shut down coal energy. Even plants that have modernized to reduce emissions. How do you intend to power your Volt?

I suspect his point is more about the fact that coal is ever considered clean. Of course plants should modernize and lower emissions, this is true for EVERY industry. However, making coal pollute less doesn't make it clean anymore than filtering 50% of the dirt out of muddy water makes that clean water. Shit is still dirty, just less so.

I suspect his point is more about the fact that coal is ever considered clean. Of course plants should modernize and lower emissions, this is true for EVERY industry. However, making coal pollute less doesn't make it clean anymore than filtering 50% of the dirt out of muddy water makes that clean water. Shit is still dirty, just less so.

That is true. So, maybe we move more to nuclear to power our little electric cars. Solar and wind isn't going to get it done.

I think this is great news on many levels. Should be great for job placement out of Wake.

But for real, to be energy independent, don't we have to socialize the oil industry?

Nah, the idea of energy independence is fleeting. The private sector can produce enough from now until sustainable technologies are affordable.

Nah, the idea of energy independence is fleeting. The private sector can produce enough from now until sustainable technologies are affordable.

But implicit in your response is an acknowledgement that to be independent, it would require government control, right?

But implicit in your response is an acknowledgement that to be independent, it would require government control, right?

Not so much, if you look at the marginal cost of producing a barrel in the US v Saudi Arabi, you'll see that as long as gas prices are at record highs, we'll see domestic production. The government may or may not incentivize it.

Not so much, if you look at the marginal cost of producing a barrel in the US v Saudi Arabi, you'll see that as long as gas prices are at record highs, we'll see domestic production. The government may or may not incentivize it.

Hmm. Not quite what I'm meaning to say. The energy indipendent folks believe that oil made here, stays here. Doesn't that basically require significant government intervention.

Hmm. Not quite what I'm meaning to say. The energy indipendent folks believe that oil made here, stays here. Doesn't that basically require significant government intervention.

o yea, the idea that the oil "made here, stays here" is total horseshit. I had a couple freakouts on the debate threads about it. Oil is fungible, though light sweet crude is uber tasty.

I believe my ultimate "I'm not voting for Romney" shit-hits-the-fan came after he explicitly shit on the idea of basic FX trading. I ultimately didn't vote because of that. My idea that Romney had a better economic plan was just totally destroyed by his total lack of understanding of simple macroeconomics.

Back