• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

U2 accused of ripping off song

This is odd. U2, the Edge specifically, has already admitted that the got most of their ideas for Achtung Baby from My Bloody Valentine's Loveless and from Nine Inch Nails.

The first 30 seconds of that dude's riff is pretty close

You could listen to Bullet the Blue Sky and conclude that this dude ripped his guitar soloing technique off from the Edge first, then the Edge turned around and stole it back.

Zzzzz. How is that guy's sound any different than Deep Purple's Hush? What a crock.

Not sure if this was intentional, but it reminded me of Bono's line in Rattle and Hum about Helter Skelter:

"This is a song Charles Manson stole from the Beatles. We're stealing it back."

It was intentional.

You must spread some Reputation around before you can negrep DirtySouthDeacon again.

All your negrep cannot make up for some tool naming himself "the edge" when he plays like a child with fat fingers. Just soft nothing.

Very hard to make the case that three notes in a major scale constitute theft, especially when those notes are consistent with what Edge had done in his career up to that point. I mean, it's a solo for fuck's sake. By its very nature you're going to hit quite a few notes.

Disagree with the bad assessment of Edge's abilities. No, he isn't a shredder and never has been, but he influenced a shitload of people with his simple, effects-driven approach to the guitar and he still sounds like nobody else.

The Joshua Tree is 30 years old this month, by the way.

Very hard to make the case that three notes in a major scale constitute theft, especially when those notes are consistent with what Edge had done in his career up to that point. I mean, it's a solo for fuck's sake. By its very nature you're going to hit quite a few notes.

Disagree with the bad assessment of Edge's abilities. No, he isn't a shredder and never has been, but he influenced a shitload of people with his simple, effects-driven approach to the guitar and he still sounds like nobody else.

nuf said

When U2 started, The Edge didn't really know how to play guitar. He taught himself as they went along. Was never really all that strong of a guitarist, but created a unique sound that lots of people have since sounded like. Also the band is a lot greater than the sum of its parts, which is to say there's not a lot special going on there, but they made some very good albums before it all went to shit.

U2 is the worst bad in history. Just garbage. Nothing new, nothing special, nothing hard, nothing.

giphy.gif

Maybe they'll tour

Back