• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ukraine is game to you?

That convoy north of Kyiv is now said to be 40 miles long and mostly packed tight together. Gotta hope Ukraine is just luring them into a massive ambush? No idea what Russia plans to do - full on assault of Kyiv or try to encircle it? Doesn't seem like they have enough troops to do either effectively.

That convoy north of Kyiv is now said to be 40 miles long and mostly packed tight together. Gotta hope Ukraine is just luring them into a massive ambush? No idea what Russia plans to do - full on assault of Kyiv or try to encircle it? Doesn't seem like they have enough troops to do either effectively.

I mean how long do you imagine a city lasting in a good ole fashion siege without supplies making it in?

I mean how long do you imagine a city lasting in a good ole fashion siege without supplies making it in?

Couple months? Everything here is bonkers but hard to imagine that’s the road this goes down. I guess Putin has been trying to (somewhat) target military and leave civilians out of it but that’s obviously not working. I really can’t formulate a scenario in my head on how this ends. I don’t think Putin will go all in on Kyiv / killing Zelensky and a whole bunch of civilians. Can’t imagine he’ll make a strategic retreat either. Long protracted siege seems unlikely. Anyone got an idea?

They have enough if they drop some well placed bombs beforehand.

Couple months? Everything here is bonkers but hard to imagine that’s the road this goes down. I guess Putin has been trying to (somewhat) target military and leave civilians out of it but that’s obviously not working. I really can’t formulate a scenario in my head on how this ends. I don’t think Putin will go all in on Kyiv / killing Zelensky and a whole bunch of civilians. Can’t imagine he’ll make a strategic retreat either. Long protracted siege seems unlikely. Anyone got an idea?

I think he's gonna step up the assault and there will be plenty of civilian casualties.

How do you expect the Russians to resupply effectively when they are that spread out? A couple drones could wreak havoc on that column.

Quick thread about Russian troll farms making up fake people to spread disinformation about Ukraine.

How do you expect the Russians to resupply effectively when they are that spread out? A couple drones could wreak havoc on that column.

And yet there has not been an assault on the column. It's what, 4 am there now? Just a matter of time now before a big assault is forthcoming is my guess. Let's keep in mind the Russians are likely willing to use tactics against civilians that other nations wouldn't.

Russia could absolutely destroy Kiev, but I dont think it gets them the bargaining chip they want. Maybe they can surround Kiev to some degree, but they wouldn't be able to defend the west from additional forces which are being armed from Poland. Ukraine just picked up a few dozen EU fighter jets today, but not sure they would put up a fight against decent anti Air. I hope they're just drawing the convoy in and will unleash hell once they're in range of some fortified artillery and then try to mop up during the chaos, but who knows.

Russia could absolutely destroy Kiev, but I dont think it gets them the bargaining chip they want. Maybe they can surround Kiev to some degree, but they wouldn't be able to defend the west from additional forces which are being armed from Poland. Ukraine just picked up a few dozen EU fighter jets today, but not sure they would put up a fight against decent anti Air. I hope they're just drawing the convoy in and will unleash hell once they're in range of some fortified artillery and then try to mop up during the chaos, but who knows.

Not sure what kind of ability the UAF has to suppress the Anti Air missiles the Russians have but deploying those jets against the Russian AF and their SAM's is a tall challenge. The Ruskies have some of the best SAM's in the world.

I think he's gonna step up the assault and there will be plenty of civilian casualties.

Agreed. Read about the Battle of Grozny during the Second Chechen War. That place was demolished.

God I wish a squadron of A-10's could be unleashed on that convoy.

Wow, an interesting and must listen. Putin's paranoia comes shining thru.
Not sure why any Nation who has nuclear capability is still concerned on what happens on their Borders.
Would we still be concerned if Cuba had nuclear weapons with the capabilities we have today? Not sure.
Interesting that Putin asked Clinton in a past meeting what would happen if Russia asked for NATO Membership.
He said Clinton was mum.

Yes. We would be facing some of the same fears/discussion that Putin has stated. A missile (especially hypersonic) would only take a few minutes to reach CONUS and would be very hard to shoot down with such little warning time. While I think Putin is crazy, I can understand his side of things as far as having missiles on his border.

We also can't fool ourselves into thinking that we wouldn't be worried if Putin deployed ballistic or hypersonic missiles to Cuba. Hell, they tried once and it almost started WW3.

Last edited:
Still hard for me to believe that with the level of nuclear sophistication there is today, anyone who sends any type of device on a Super Power wouldn’t themselves face total destruction whether it’s from land, sea or air or all three.

Yes. We would be facing some of the same fears/discussion that Putin has stated. A missile (especially hypersonic) would only take a few minutes to reach CONUS and would be very hard to shoot down with such little warning time. While I think Putin is crazy, I can understand his side of things as far as having missiles on his border.

We also can't fool ourselves into thinking that we wouldn't be worried if Putin deployed ballistic or hypersonic missiles to Cuba. Hell, they tried once and it almost started WW3.

Correct.

On a practical level I grasp his problem.

But his rhetoric is so frustratingly butt stupid. i.e. - the way he frames this problem as if his nation faces some existential threat is just dumb. The reason all these nations have turned towards towards the West is bc of . . . Russia. When Putin says Russia could cease to exist if NATO continues to expand East, what he really should be saying is my regime could cease to exist (or my world view where the dissolution of the Soviet Union was a great calamity released upon the planet would be proven completely bankrupt).

Why isnt' Zelensky using his close and personal relationship with Hunter Biden to get more support for Ukraine? Couldn't he use some of the blackmail of illicit under the table payments to force Biden to assist or he would be exposed as corrupt? If these things exist then he would surely be using them right now right? Right? I mean come on this couldn't have all been some made up conspiracy perpetrated by Fox News and the Trump White House to try and beat Biden? Those viewers are too smart for that kind of thing.

A couple of interesting articles:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/02/28/world-war-iii-already-there-00012340
" It’s reestablishing Russian dominance of what Russia sees as the Russian “Imperium.” I’m saying this very specifically because the lands of the Soviet Union didn’t cover all of the territories that were once part of the Russian Empire. So that should give us pause.
"Hill spent many years studying history, and in our conversation, she repeatedly traced how long arcs and trends of European history are converging on Ukraine right now. We are already, she said, in the middle of a third World War, whether we’ve fully grasped it or not...

Putin has articulated an idea of there being a “Russky Mir” or a “Russian World.” The recent essay he published about Ukraine and Russia states the Ukrainian and Russian people are “one people,” a “yedinyi narod.” He’s saying Ukrainians and Russians are one and the same. This idea of a Russian World means re-gathering all the Russian-speakers in different places that belonged at some point to the Russian tsardom."

https://apnews.com/article/russia-u...-moscow-nato-6abd03995b4d359ba194179d0b51b0de

"More recently, Macron went to meet with Putin and had several long phone calls before the invasion. A top official in Macron’s office said last week that Putin was “no longer the same,” had become “more stiff, more isolated,” and at his core had veered into the approach now playing out...

“He’s not had that many people having direct inputs to him,” said Sen. Mark Warner, a Virginia Democrat who chairs the Senate Intelligence Committee. “So we’re concerned that this isolated individual (has) become a megalomaniac in terms of his notion of himself being the only historic figure that can rebuild old Russia or recreate the notion of the Soviet sphere.”

Putin has long been committed to recovering lost glory, suppressing dissent and keeping neighbors in Moscow’s orbit. In 2005, he called the collapse of the Soviet Union “the greatest geopolitical catastrophe of the century.” Russia has fought a war with Georgia, annexed Ukraine’s Crimea, backed separatists in eastern Ukraine, and earlier this year briefly deployed troops to help quell protests in Kazakhstan."

Back