• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ukraine is game to you?

I butchered the first quote by getting it out of order. Can't edit it due to no text to edit.

Correct.

On a practical level I grasp his problem.

But his rhetoric is so frustratingly butt stupid. i.e. - the way he frames this problem as if his nation faces some existential threat is just dumb. The reason all these nations have turned towards towards the West is bc of . . . Russia. When Putin says Russia could cease to exist if NATO continues to expand East, what he really should be saying is my regime could cease to exist (or my world view where the dissolution of the Soviet Union was a great calamity released upon the planet would be proven completely bankrupt).

Agreed. At what point do the Russian people get tired of it? Is this the time?

Still hard for me to believe that with the level of nuclear sophistication there is today, anyone who sends any type of device on a Super Power wouldn’t themselves face total destruction whether it’s from land, sea or air or all three.

They would in theory. It's called MAD. Mutually Assured Destruction.

They would in theory. It's called MAD. Mutually Assured Destruction.

That only works when the leaders of the country care about their citizens and don't believe that they, themselves, will survive and come out on top of that destruction.

Looks like China might start being involved. I've seen reports that they feel lied to by the extent of the invasion by Russia.

Looks like China might start being involved. I've seen reports that they feel lied to by the extent of the invasion by Russia.

So now we can worry less about them just going ahead and taking Taiwan and then the whole end of the world thing, right?

So now we can worry less about them just going ahead and taking Taiwan and then the whole end of the world thing, right?

I don't think that's realistic. China wants Taiwan, but they also want to play all sides and not be a global pariah like Russia is.

I don't think that's realistic. China wants Taiwan, but they also want to play all sides and not be a global pariah like Russia is.

Yeah. They saw how it’s going and it looks bad for them moving into Taiwan so they’re playing the other side.

Maybe a bit. Cutting China off from the rest of the world strikes me though as much harder to pull off than with Russia. Russia's economy is smaller than Italy's.

Not to mention the amount of Chinese investment in other countries to facilitate belt and road has those other countries beholden to them.

its funny that we are all going to die in a nuclear war after all and all that money the greedy fucks have been fighting and suppressing large swaths of the population over means dick now. nice job, assholes

Im glad I partied like a fucking rock star all these years and banged as much pussy as I could and drank and smoked and generally had a blast. suck it puritans

Not to mention the amount of Chinese investment in other countries to facilitate belt and road has those other countries beholden to them.

Yeah, I'm less worried about that honestly. They've already been burned more than once on that front and if countries are freezing assets they'll have little compunction about saying fuck the debt.

its funny that we are all going to die in a nuclear war after all and all that money the greedy fucks have been fighting and suppressing large swaths of the population over means dick now. nice job, assholes

Im glad I partied like a fucking rock star all these years and banged as much pussy as I could and drank and smoked and generally had a blast. suck it puritans

Word.

That only works when the leaders of the country care about their citizens and don't believe that they, themselves, will survive and come out on top of that destruction.

I don’t think that the Russians think in that scenario they will come out on top. Their policy is something more of there is no point in a world where Russia is not, or can no longer become a super power. So in that scenario total destruction would be preferable.

they just suddenly came to that feeling? maybe one guy does but I don't believe the rest of russia believes that at all.

putin's gone nuts

Does anyone have a scenario in mind where this ends well for the rest of the world? Sanctions aren't going to go away, and Russia isn't going to sit idly by and accept these sanctions.

Back