• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNC Game Review / N.C. State Game Week Thread

Deac94: many thanks for your analyses. I especially appreciate the recruiting information for the guys that smoke us. Thanks for what you do.

Much appreciated. Happy to do it. I like the fact that there are others out there that like to get into the details.

Here is an interesting exercise: post who you think are the top 5 players on Wake's defense. In order. Based on current ability, not future projection. I'll post mine after I see what a few others have to say. Curious to see what people think.

Brandon Chubb, Zeek Rodney, Duke Ejiofor, Ryan Janvion, Josh Banks in no particular order. Admittedly I'm saying Ejiofor mostly from the Clawson praise and he did have a very good game against BC, but not against UNC.

Brandon Chubb
Marquel Lee
Jaboree Williams
Wendell Dunn
Zeek Rodney

Brandon Chubb
Brad Watson (he may be #1)
Marquel Lee

Big drop-off

Wendell Dunn
Cameron Glenn

Brandon Chubb
Brad Watson (he may be #1)
Marquel Lee

Big drop-off

Wendell Dunn
Cameron Glenn

Isn't Glenn the one Clawson was saying his friend on the Auburn staff said they almost offered and how good a player we got in him?

Chubb
Lee
Watson
Rodney
Duke

Just outside the top 5 is Glenn and Kemp

Didn't we schedule UNC as a "non-conference" opponent? Not until 2019? In response to Deac94's comment in OP.

For those of us who have not seen State yet this year, can someone summarize strengths and weaknesses?

Chubb
Lee
Watson
Rodney
Duke

Just outside the top 5 is Glenn and Kemp

I had the same top 5. In the exact same order.

Jaboree is hard to evaluate because he doesn't play enough. Janvion might deserve consideration based on how we looked with him out of the lineup. Kemp is ascending. So pleased with his development.

ETA: it's worth asking whether we have a good defense, or just good linebackers.

Last edited:
I had the same top 5. In the exact same order.

Jaboree is hard to evaluate because he doesn't play enough. Janvion might deserve consideration based on how we looked with him out of the lineup. Kemp is ascending. So pleased with his development.

ETA: it's worth asking whether we have a good defense, or just good linebackers.

Agreed.

Here is an interesting exercise: post who you think are the top 5 players on Wake's defense. In order. Based on current ability, not future projection. I'll post mine after I see what a few others have to say. Curious to see what people think.

Chubb
Chubb
Chubb
Chubb
Chubb

Very disappointed Saturday night. After going thru the tape Sunday, the program is definitely headed in the right direction. Around 3 minutes left in the third quarter, the score is 29-14 and Wake has the ball around UNC's 30. Wake didn't convert and the wheels fell off the wagon. With another year of S & C, a few more play makers, additional repetitions of proper technique and the experience of this year, I expect next year to be the breakout with a bowl trip. This year is not done by any means. Wake's run to a bowl starts Saturday with a victory over NCSUX.

Remember the four cycles that teams go thru:

Lose by a lot
Lose by a little
Win by a little
Win by a lot

This is the best UNC team in a while. Illinois is 4-2 with a win over Nebraska and they got beat 48-14 in CH. We are still a WIP.

I was very disheartened by the game, thinking we'd made one small step forward and then 3 giant steps back. But games like this happen even to the best teams sometimes. Last year OSU beat their opponent division winner Wisconsin 59-0 in the B1GCG. That too shouldn't happen. We've got a lot of freshmen playing and we're susceptible to routing when misfortune strikes, like against Syracuse. Important too not to let the holes beat us twice.

For those of us who have not seen State yet this year, can someone summarize strengths and weaknesses?

We looked legit against the ridiculously easy early schedule but just so so in the losses to UL and VT.

Offense: IMO, our best player, RB-Shadrach Thornton, ran out of excuses for being a dumb ass and was kicked off the team. We still have a good running game and talent at that position. The H back/FB/utility player, Jaylen Samuels is very productive and used in a variety of ways (although not enough touches). freshman receiver Hines is speedy but isn't playing "tough" yet. OL has been all over the place as far as personnel as well as performance. QB, Brissett looks a step slower this year but is still big and strong. He can't throw the deep ball well. Our TEs seem to have been forgotten this year. Grinnage looked like a real threat last year but is invisible this year. Pack fans want to blame play calling for the losses but I tend to see a lack of execution against the better defenses.

Defense: D has actually been pretty good overall with strong DB play but the Linebackers are young and often out of position. The VT QB threw against the LB coverages successfully. DL is pretty good. We tend to give up a few big plays every game. IMO, usually it's a lack of containment. If Clawson will call it you'll score on that double pass trick play that you always use against us.

Special Teams: Hines has had one spectacular return and a few that looked close to breaking but if you breathe on him he goes down. Cherry also returns punts and has done well. No turnovers there so that's good. Kickers are all young but kick offs are almost always touchbacks and FGs are getting better in the last 3 games. Punting has been solid.

If you don't think you have a good chance is this game, you're high. We haven't won in Winston Salem in like 14 years. Home team usually wins this game. Do we have better players? maybe. But we've been out coached in the last 2 games by more experienced coaches and are very young all across the 2 deep. I actually have no idea what to expect on Saturday.

Back