• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNC Game Review / N.C. State Game Week Thread

Top 5 Defensive Players:

Chubb
Lee
Janvion
Ejiofor
Banks

We looked legit against the ridiculously easy early schedule but just so so in the losses to UL and VT.

Offense: IMO, our best player, RB-Shadrach Thornton, ran out of excuses for being a dumb ass and was kicked off the team. We still have a good running game and talent at that position. The H back/FB/utility player, Jaylen Samuels is very productive and used in a variety of ways (although not enough touches). freshman receiver Hines is speedy but isn't playing "tough" yet. OL has been all over the place as far as personnel as well as performance. QB, Brissett looks a step slower this year but is still big and strong. He can't throw the deep ball well. Our TEs seem to have been forgotten this year. Grinnage looked like a real threat last year but is invisible this year. Pack fans want to blame play calling for the losses but I tend to see a lack of execution against the better defenses.

Defense: D has actually been pretty good overall with strong DB play but the Linebackers are young and often out of position. The VT QB threw against the LB coverages successfully. DL is pretty good. We tend to give up a few big plays every game. IMO, usually it's a lack of containment. If Clawson will call it you'll score on that double pass trick play that you always use against us.

Special Teams: Hines has had one spectacular return and a few that looked close to breaking but if you breathe on him he goes down. Cherry also returns punts and has done well. No turnovers there so that's good. Kickers are all young but kick offs are almost always touchbacks and FGs are getting better in the last 3 games. Punting has been solid.

If you don't think you have a good chance is this game, you're high. We haven't won in Winston Salem in like 14 years. Home team usually wins this game. Do we have better players? maybe. But we've been out coached in the last 2 games by more experienced coaches and are very young all across the 2 deep. I actually have no idea what to expect on Saturday.

I like ridiculously easy schedules since that helps get closer to 6 wins. We should try that one year. State had what, 4 cupcakes to start the season? They don't necessarily look like cupcakes, but they are/were.

Since we're at home, and for the better part of a decade now it's been cow college's house of horrors at our place, hopefully we suck less on Saturday. :)

Some snap count observations from the UNC game:

Matt Colburn was limited to 5 snaps - his lowest total since the Syracuse game. Isaiah Robinson got 34 snaps – his highest total since the Syracuse game. So Robinson was clearly the #2 RB for the UNC game.

With Dylan Intemann back, Ryan Anderson assumed his role as a rotation player off the bench. Anderson played 34 snaps (roughly 50% of the offensive plays) between RG and C.

Cameron Glenn did not play due to injury.

With Glenn and Janvion both out it looks like Thomas Brown and Zach Dancel both played 100% of the defensive snaps.

Dionte Austin (43 snaps) got more playing time than Devin Gaulden (30 snaps). However, Gaulden continues to be listed as first team on the depth chart.

Tabari Hines and Chuck Wade were evenly split at slot/flanker. Same with Kemp and Williams at Rover.

Lots of DL rotation to keep players fresh. Only Josh Banks (47 snaps) and Duke Ejiofor (43 snaps) were asked to play more than 50% of the defensive snaps.

Rashawn Shaw did not play. That’s two weeks in a row.

We looked legit against the ridiculously easy early schedule but just so so in the losses to UL and VT.

Offense: IMO, our best player, RB-Shadrach Thornton, ran out of excuses for being a dumb ass and was kicked off the team. We still have a good running game and talent at that position. The H back/FB/utility player, Jaylen Samuels is very productive and used in a variety of ways (although not enough touches). freshman receiver Hines is speedy but isn't playing "tough" yet. OL has been all over the place as far as personnel as well as performance. QB, Brissett looks a step slower this year but is still big and strong. He can't throw the deep ball well. Our TEs seem to have been forgotten this year. Grinnage looked like a real threat last year but is invisible this year. Pack fans want to blame play calling for the losses but I tend to see a lack of execution against the better defenses.

Defense: D has actually been pretty good overall with strong DB play but the Linebackers are young and often out of position. The VT QB threw against the LB coverages successfully. DL is pretty good. We tend to give up a few big plays every game. IMO, usually it's a lack of containment. If Clawson will call it you'll score on that double pass trick play that you always use against us.

Special Teams: Hines has had one spectacular return and a few that looked close to breaking but if you breathe on him he goes down. Cherry also returns punts and has done well. No turnovers there so that's good. Kickers are all young but kick offs are almost always touchbacks and FGs are getting better in the last 3 games. Punting has been solid.

If you don't think you have a good chance is this game, you're high. We haven't won in Winston Salem in like 14 years. Home team usually wins this game. Do we have better players? maybe. But we've been out coached in the last 2 games by more experienced coaches and are very young all across the 2 deep. I actually have no idea what to expect on Saturday.

Yea that pretty much sums it up for me. Until we connect on a few deeper passes opposing D's will stack the box and so far we haven't been able to rush it against legitimate teams. I expect a really close game on Saturday.

Notes from the Clawson press conference:

Clawson wanted to get through last week’s game without playing Hinton. Hinton was only 80-90% healthy and played more tentatively than previous games (note: Clawson didn’t use those words exactly).

Both QB’s were expected to practice today.

He was optimistic that Ryan Janvion would be back at practice this week, but the situation was less certain with Cam Glenn. He said they would love to have Glenn back.

He voiced his a lot of frustration about the fact that 3 ACC opponents have bye weeks before they play Wake.

Matt Colburn’s lack of playing time versus UNC was due to his not having a good week of practice leading up to the game.

He discussed a few of the big plays that I wrote about in the OP in this thread. It sounded to me like Marquel Lee was more at fault for the 2nd Elijah Hood run than what I wrote. Also I thought that the Zach Dancel was responsible for the 61-yard Austin Proehl run, but Clawson talked about how the corner (Dionte Austin) lost contain on the edge on that play.

Yeah. Austin was man handled on that screen pass when Proehl went for 60. The bigger he gets the less he will get pushed around like that.

Will this be a 31-14 type loss or can we do better than that?

NC State's favored by 10. Is that about right or is this more of a 34-17 type loss?

If we do not get a pass rush it could get bad because their guy can pass the ball if left unrushed. I just hope we can match them with some scores of our own and give Hinton or Wolford some time.

If we do not get a pass rush it could get bad because their guy can pass the ball if left unrushed. I just hope we can match them with some scores of our own and give Hinton or Wolford some time.

As compared to matching their scores, maybe we could score more points than them

Back