• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNC @ WFU – Sat 11/12 – 7:30 ESPN2

I just watched the replay of the holding call on the big pass play to AT Perry on Wake's last drive. Clearly a pretty egregious hold on the LT. Hate to say it - but it was really bad and had to be called. The offensive lineman had his arm wrapped around thd DE's neck even while the DE was spinning.

That Sam INT was so bad though - particularly at that point in the game. Just staring down one receiver and never looking at the coverage. Wake just can't afford to make mistakes like those.
I watched it multiple times too and agree it was definitely a hold....

And agree on the INT being so bad considering there was a huge hole he should have handed to the RB on the rpo

I've never been more certain that the fix was in after watching: (1) the missed facemask, (2) the multiple attempts to throw our players out for targeting, (3) the refusal to call PI when our receiver is being tackled, (4) the blatant PI call that was initially called and then picked up, (5) allowing Downs to repeatedly get a head start and only calling it once, (6) consistently spotting the ball a yard behind forward progress, but only on our running backs, (7) Sam making the first down but the ball getting spotted a yard short and never reviewing it, and (8) my personal favorite - UNC never gets called for holding (aside from one that was declined where 40 is being tackled while making a tackle) and we get called for multiple crushing holding penalties including with the game on the line. That hold on the last drive stole the game from us and should never have been called in that situation.

As for the incentive and the logistics, well let's see. How much money do you think the ACC has riding on the ACC Championship game being between two one-loss top-10 teams with an (admittedly outside) shot at the Playoff at stake? How many millions of dollars would a Wake win on Saturday have cost the league?

I know it sounds crazy. I know I sound like a conspiracy loon. But I was there, I've watched the tape, and this was the most egregious one-sided officiating I have ever seen. We were better and deserved to win. Yeah, Sam made a big mistake. So did UNC. So did Mack Brown. Running shotgun on the 2 inch line? Thanks for the opportunity for a goal line stand. But we should not have to play perfectly to win. We should not have to beat both UNC and the officials to win. We got hosed. The refs wanted UNC to win - for whatever reason - and got what they wanted.

Well said. There are now MILLIONS of dollars riding on these conferences getting eyeballs and praying to be in some CFP conversation, even if remotely possible. Some conferences realize their very survival may depend upon it. There was absolutely no way in hell the ACC was going to have Wake Forest fuck up a potential CFP bid, as remote as that might be (remember we're talking UNC here). They sure as hell weren't going to have them fuck up any ACCCG between Clemson and UNC.

I re-watched much of Saturday's game. The officiating was borderline criminal and probably is just that. I don't think officials personally are pulling for UNC. However, I think it is made more than clear that if they wish to continue employment as an official, the benefit of the doubt needs to be given to the golden goose. The call in this year's UNC / Duke game was as close to a thrown game as I've ever seen. It was just unbelievable.

The first holding call on “Braveheart” was complete bs, and cost a first down thus possession.
The no face mask, cost first down and possession.

down 14-0 damage done. Just like at Clemson last year. Get the screw job in early.

have to kick fg

really really bad pick by Sam. Gee whiz dude.

@3:42

Just can't believe Hartman didn't throw the short pass to the RB. And then to still have the lead later on and throw the pick. Damn we had those fucking bastards.

I mean if your 5th year QB just throws it to a wide open RB we’re praising Clawson’s aggressiveness. Why is this even a conversation? If you’re going to be critical or Clawson, be critical of running it 3 straight times. Not going for it on 4th and 2 or 3.
Yup.

I just finished the replay. The officiating didn’t seem particularly bad. Some missed calls but that’s normal. But certainly not like the State game where I think we did get materially bad officiating luck. I suppose as the home team we should expect to get a few more calls, but this one felt within margin of error (the most egregious call was calling a batted pass by Maye a fumble, which was quickly reviewed and corrected).

O-line is just a weakness, I think we underrate the loss of Zach Tom and maybe Brandon Chapman’s blocking (much better than Whiteheart imo). At LT, Nash is now in a rotation with Clapp at LT and both of them get beat consistently. And Gordon lost out for that position in the fall.

Defensively, Smenda continues to be a liability to the naked eye. I know he brings other positives but he never seems to be able to deliver the high-leverage play. I know the staff likes Slocum as well, but he doesn’t seem like he can play nickel.

Always love seeing QC and will clamor for him to get more carries.

The INT, so awful. Just not a well-run mesh, Hartman almost always leaves it in there until he’s ready to thrown. Maybe his throwing lane got blocked at the last second, but he pulled and then held the ball which allowed the UNC guy to drop back into coverage after initially coming to play the run. This is exactly what the slow mesh is supposed to do well when run properly.

(whether the RB had a hole is not germane since that’s not what the QB is supposed to read)
I don't disagree here, but the OL allowed the RBs to rush for 4.6+ yards a carry (would have been more without a couple holds) and only gave up one sack. They weren't really an issue compared to the last 2 weeks, other than the holding penalties, which are just a total crapshoot with today's officiating.

@3:42

Just can't believe Hartman didn't throw the short pass to the RB. And then to still have the lead later on and throw the pick. Damn we had those fucking bastards.

Is that ball not over the line to gain when it's fumbled?!

I just finished the replay. The officiating didn’t seem particularly bad. Some missed calls but that’s normal. But certainly not like the State game where I think we did get materially bad officiating luck. I suppose as the home team we should expect to get a few more calls, but this one felt within margin of error (the most egregious call was calling a batted pass by Maye a fumble, which was quickly reviewed and corrected).

O-line is just a weakness, I think we underrate the loss of Zach Tom and maybe Brandon Chapman’s blocking (much better than Whiteheart imo). At LT, Nash is now in a rotation with Clapp at LT and both of them get beat consistently. And Gordon lost out for that position in the fall.

Defensively, Smenda continues to be a liability to the naked eye. I know he brings other positives but he never seems to be able to deliver the high-leverage play. I know the staff likes Slocum as well, but he doesn’t seem like he can play nickel.

Always love seeing QC and will clamor for him to get more carries.

The INT, so awful. Just not a well-run mesh, Hartman almost always leaves it in there until he’s ready to thrown. Maybe his throwing lane got blocked at the last second, but he pulled and then held the ball which allowed the UNC guy to drop back into coverage after initially coming to play the run. This is exactly what the slow mesh is supposed to do well when run properly.

(whether the RB had a hole is not germane since that’s not what the QB is supposed to read)
This. I think this kid is a stud. The other guys are fine, do some good things and have their moments. Cooley just seems to be a little different.

Back