• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNCG beating Miami

I've been a Wake fan my entire life and I'm not a flaming idiot (for the most part)

So everyone whom thinks Bzz sucks and cant coach is a flaming idiot? Interesting. From my perspective anyone who can support this guy is a complete and utter idiot.

did RSF also hold up miami as an example that an empty arena against a bad mid-major doesn't signal apathy, when few fanbases rival Miami's apathy for basketball
To be fair, I was only trying to show that there wasn't always a connection between success levels and attendance. Obviously, I undermined that point by using Miami, and I probably shouldn't have tried making the point at all.

So yeah, that was a pretty stupid post. I'll own it.

Makes more sense to me now.
Oh. Awesome. I wonder why I didn't say that the first time!

Here, now it's my turn to be a flaming cockbag: You're a dipshit for even attempting to suggest that I had to be an undergrad under Skip or Staak or Odom in order to understand how far the program has fallen. I understand it perfectly well. I am also competent enough to understand that there is more than 1 factor in a program's descent. From what I've seen on this thread and elsewhere, you've probably been a Wake fan for a long time. Good for you. You're apparently also braindead enough to mistake realism and understanding of the big picture for lowered standards and acceptance.

So everyone whom thinks Bzz sucks and cant coach is a flaming idiot? Interesting. From my perspective anyone who can support this guy is a complete and utter idiot.

No...if you don't think he can coach it's fine.

People that jump all over his personality, clothing, family, and coaching are flaming idiots.

I knew this year would suck and knew last year would be bad. I was never under the impression that last year would be anywhere near as bad as it was, nor do I find it acceptable to lose to Wofford at home with or without CJ. I am not saying nor have I ever said that our shortcomings are all on bzz. Its pretty evident that the problems here go beyond just him. Looking at what he had done in his previous college head coaching stints is what had me skeptical at first. Seeing how we can somehow consistently be out rebounded by teams significantly smaller and less athletic than us has shown me more to solidify my stance that he just isn't a good coach/leader. I just see no how no way this guy can succeed given the current circumstances. I do not believe he could succeed if he were to walk into a squeaky clean situation. I sure as hell see no way he can do it with the current state of this program. Would love to be wrong, but the growing aggravation I get from watching his teams perform make me too fn pissed to deal with.

I used to be terrible at a lot of those, but now I really do try to restrict myself for attacking his coaching, and probably his personality as so far as how it relates to his handling of this team and previous teams he has been in charge of.

He wardrobe choices aren't even worth mentioning anymore as there is so much else to bash the man on as you research his coaching record more. He is simply terrible as a head coach. The numbers don't lie.

No...if you don't think he can coach it's fine.

People that jump all over his personality, clothing, family, and coaching are flaming idiots.

Ah I don't know anything about the guy personally, don't give a shit how he dresses, and don't know anything about his family. I do believe he stinks as a coach though.

Personality is part of being a head coach.

Your job is part CEO of the basketball program/part salesman.

Last edited:
I used to be terrible at a lot of those, but now I really do try to restrict myself for attacking his coaching, and probably his personality as so far as how it relates to his handling of this team and previous teams he has been in charge of.

He wardrobe choices aren't even worth mentioning anymore as there is so much else to bash the man on as you research his coaching record more. He is simply terrible as a head coach. The numbers don't lie.
I mean, nobody's operating under the assumption that he's a great coach. I don't think anybody's really saying that right now. But you've said it yourself- he knows his X's and O's, and probably basketball in general, really well. He's a great scout of talent (as evidenced by his NBA resume, and by his pretty solid recruiting record). He's done a terrific job in-game, save for the occasional questionable timeout call.

The problems you seem to have with him are... his teams' rebounding numbers, and his ability to motivate players. The former, I can understand completely, and its frustrating. The latter, I just am not sure I agree with.

But here's the thing (and I recognize my base assumptions above are putting some words in your mouth, and I apologize in advance for that): He's never spent more than 3 years at any stop. He's always either been playing with someone else's team, or gotten one season (you could argue he got two seasons at Colorado) with his own players. That's why it's so tough for Bzz-Waiters to make any concrete conclusions on him, one way or another. I do think he's done a decent job developing his talent here, and at Colorado. But I also think he had a generally untalented team there, and I think he has an incredibly untalented team here.

I recognize that his actual track record's bad. I recognize that he was dreadfully underqualified for this job. But now that he's here, and given the vast improvement we've seen just this year from last (with less raw talent, to boot), I'd like to at least see what he can do in terms of building a system. He's always left systems better than he received them. How can we really say that he wouldn't done as well with Colorado as his replacement did there last season?

What "vast improvement we've seen just this year from last" are you referring to?

Last year was one of the most unorganized teams I have ever seen.

What "vast improvement we've seen just this year from last" are you referring to?
Have you been watching the games? They've played better, at times overperforming. Offensively and defensively. There's been a big improvement. We're 9-5 against a more difficult schedule than we played last year, when we started out 6-8.

Last year was one of the most unorganized teams I have ever seen.
Yup. It was a trainwreck in every possible way. They played some of the worst basketball I've ever seen. This year, they have less raw talent, and they are worlds better. Is that really still a secret?

He's always left systems better than he received them. How can we really say that he wouldn't done as well with Colorado as his replacement did there last season?

Why do you lie!? But srsly, Bzz had no long term impact on Air Force, and Colorado is still not good enough to make the NCAA tournament. It's hard to even associate the current Colorado team with Bzz, because they run a new system which emphasizes rebounding. Even your standards for future success are weak and sad. Without any other evidence, your faith that Bzz will be successful with his '12 class, can only be based on the fleeting success he had with Carmelo Anthony.

Last edited:
Air Force actually started declining as soon as he left and he is blamed for not recruiting much during his couple of years there.

Last year's OOC was more difficult. We played Zaga, Richmond, Xavier and VCU which were all tourney teams. Outside of possibly Seton Hall, we haven't played a tourney team this year.

Why do you lie!? But srsly, Bzz had no long term impact on Air Force, and Colorado is still not good enough to make the NCAA tournament. Even your standards for future success are weak and sad.
[Redacted] had literally 1 meaningful recruiting class with Air Force.

He improved Colorado to the extent that they were a 24 win team in a major conference the year after he left, a team made up nearly entirely of his players (about 80% of the minutes last year were returning players). There is no way of knowing how good Colorado would have been long-term had he stayed there. He improved the program considerably, certainly considering they were 7-20 the year before he took over.

Back