• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Unofficial 2011 NCAA Tournament Thread

Disagree, bro. Butler and VCU aren't two of the four best teams in the country. But to each their own; it's what makes sports fun.

The top teams didn't get cheated, they all lost. I would rather let the teams play it out, instead of letting computers decide it.

Last edited:
Ohio State is definitely one of the 4 best teams in the country. College basketball is just a really high variance game

No way in hell Stevens or Shaka go 8-24 with any group of players.

What about with some players that don't buy into their systems?

I suppose both would have had UNC in the Final 4 last year instead of the NIT.

Disagree, bro. Butler and VCU aren't two of the four best teams in the country. But to each their own; it's what makes sports fun.

Yes, they are. You say they aren't because you don't believe they are and your way of judging who is best relies on what teams did a month ago over what they've done over the last 2 weeks.

What about with some players that don't buy into their systems?

I suppose both would have had UNC in the Final 4 last year instead of the NIT.

Good coaches get players to buy into their system. Bad coaches complain that players don't buy into their system.

If you truly believe that VCU and Butler are two of the four best teams in college basketball, you are dumb.

CRYHAWK.gif.pagespeed.ce.0w6mxes__z.gif

If you truly believe that VCU and Butler are two of the four best teams in college basketball, you are dumb.

What's your evidence that they're not?

There's a system that puts the 68 best teams together and lets them play a schedule. Butler and VCU are two of the only undefeated teams.

It's pretty hard to argue that Butler and VCU are two of the best 4 teams in the country. I love the NCAA tournament and I love upsets, but they are upsets for a reason. There was less than a 50% chance VCU wins that game today. Way less. I'd say probably around 20%. Kansas could not hit anything all day. That happens to good teams every once in a while. If they played a best of 7, it is very hard to argue that VCU would be able to keep up that kind of 3 point shooting and Kansas to keep up that kind of horrible shooting.

1 individual game tells you very little about who the better team is. You should know this better than most PH. With the NCAA tournament, we have a terribly miniscule sample size. If the exact same teams played the tournament 20 times, there would be different final fours all over the place. VCU almost lost the playin game against USC, and Butler almost lost to ODU. The NCAA tournament involves a shit ton of luck and as whoever above said, it does not necessarily reward the best teams in the country

I hear this argument every year from those who don't support low or mid majors in the tournament. How would you change it then? Scrap all automatic bids? Let a computer ranking pick the "best 65" teams? Change the tournament from "single elimnation to double elimination"?

1 individual game tells you very little about who the better team is. You should know this better than most PH. With the NCAA tournament, we have a terribly miniscule sample size. If the exact same teams played the tournament 20 times, there would be different final fours all over the place. VCU almost lost the playin game against USC, and Butler almost lost to ODU. The NCAA tournament involves a shit ton of luck and as whoever above said, it does not necessarily reward the best teams in the country

How would you change it then?

I hear this argument every year from those who don't support low or mid majors in the tournament. How would you change it then? Scrap all automatic bids? Let a computer ranking pick the "best 65" teams? Change the tournament from "single elimnation to double elimination"?

It's not about whether or not it should be changed. I love it just the way it is. But it's really just a terrible argument from a mathematics and logic standpoint to say that the best 4 teams in the country make the final four every year.

Back