• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Unofficial Wake @ VaTech Thread. 9pm fox sports south and ESPN3

I realize that you are trolling and being sarcastic, but the truth is that Coach Knight almost never blamed officials for a loss. As a matter of fact, I followed IU games closely for more than 20 years and I can't remember any loss that Coach Knight blamed on officials. I'm sure he disagreed with a call from time to time...but there is a difference between occasionally disagreeing with a call and spending the entire game....game after game....where perceived officiating bias against your team is the entire focus of your viewing. If you have supporting data where Bob Knight blamed any loss on officiating, please post it.

You can't be serious....Bob Knight was the worst at blaming officials for losses in an implied fashion (i.e. throwing chairs on the court)

Going forward we beat Syracuse, Clemson, FSU, Georgia Tech, State, BC, ND, Va Tech, and get one win in the ACC Tournament. That gets us into the Big Dance.

I think this is pretty close, but I think we lose two of those must wins and pick up 1 win out of Duke, UNC, Miami, or UVA putting us squarely on the bubble

I think this is what it has come to now for the next four games….

1) Beat Syracuse

2) If you win 1 out of the next 3 vs. UNC/Miami/Virginia you keep the hopes of NCAA Tourney alive.

3) If you win 2 out of the next 3 vs. UNC/Miami/Virginia then you'd be one of the last in the field at that point in the season.

If we don't beat Syracuse, then season could take a turn for the worst. It's def. still on the table to make the tournament, as I thought we'd be 2-3 in the ACC over the first 5 games, but after that it's going to be up in the air. The loses vs. Louisville, Duke, Xavier, and Vandy aren't going to hurt. VT and Richmond could come back to do damage by the end of the season if we can capitalize over the next 4 games.

Nobody is going to gift us an NCAA tourney bid. If Devin and CMM want to experience they are going to have lead their team to more wins the anyone should reasonably expect.

In 95, IIRC we were 5-4 had just lost to FSU, we ran off 7 in a row including beating #2 UNC at Chapel Hill. Childress drove that team to the conference championship. This team needs to pick itself up and deliver something that no one expects them to do.

Nobody is going to gift us an NCAA tourney bid. If Devin and CMM want to experience they are going to have lead their team to more wins the anyone should reasonably expect.

In 95, IIRC we were 5-4 had just lost to FSU, we ran off 7 in a row including beating #2 UNC at Chapel Hill. Childress drove that team to the conference championship. This team needs to pick itself up and deliver something that no one expects them to do.

I just got the chills, pun intended, thinking about that run.

Somewhat random, but right now Thomas is averaging 16.9 PPG and 10.4 RPG. If that holds through the rest of the year (could be tough as he continues to play in the ACC), he will be the 9th player in the ACC in the past 20 years to average those numbers. He is very underrated. If you throw in 2+ APG, he joins Tim Duncan (x2), as the only player in the ACC in the past 20 years to have those numbers.

I think this is what it has come to now for the next four games….

1) Beat Syracuse

2) If you win 1 out of the next 3 vs. UNC/Miami/Virginia you keep the hopes of NCAA Tourney alive.

3) If you win 2 out of the next 3 vs. UNC/Miami/Virginia then you'd be one of the last in the field at that point in the season.

If we don't beat Syracuse, then season could take a turn for the worst. It's def. still on the table to make the tournament, as I thought we'd be 2-3 in the ACC over the first 5 games, but after that it's going to be up in the air. The loses vs. Louisville, Duke, Xavier, and Vandy aren't going to hurt. VT and Richmond could come back to do damage by the end of the season if we can capitalize over the next 4 games.

agree, though I'm more bearish now on our chances to dance unless we drastically improve on D.

Cuse a must win. We see how important it is to protect your home floor in conference.

NCAA Tournament or Bust

giphy.gif

http://www.chron.com/sports/college...of-incidents-involving-Bob-Knight-1849372.php

The 1998 incident to name just one.

"1998 — Is fined $10,000 by the Big Ten for berating referee Ted Valentine, whose officiating Knight calls "the greatest travesty" he had seen in his coaching career. Knight receives three technical fouls and is ejected by Valentine during the second half of a loss to Illinois. Advances to second round of NCAA tournament before loss to Connecticut."

A couple of others too:

"1983 — Knight criticizes Big Ten officiating by standing at midcourt and cursing at Big Ten Commissioner Wayne Duke, who is in the press box. Two days later, Knight assails the referees for the "worst officiating I have seen in 12 years.""

"1986 — Receives technical foul for shouting at the officials during a game against Illinois, then kicks a megaphone and admonishes Indiana cheerleaders for disrupting a free-throw attempt by Steve Alford."

Knight coached at Indiana for 29 years. Those things you listed hardly rise to the charge of "blaming officials for a loss". Do you know why Knight got those last two technicals against Illinois in 1998? I'll give you a clue: It didn't have anything to do with the game itself. His player (I think it was Luke Recker, but I'm not 100% certain on that) was laying on the floor hurt under the basket & Valentine called a technical on Knight for coming on the court to check on his player's injury. And when Knight complained about that technical, Valentine called another one on him. That didn't have anything to do with how fouls were being called in the game.

And the technical for kicking the megaphone resulted from Knight being upset with the cheerleaders....not the officials.

And I didn't say that Knight has never complained about a particular call....only that he's never blamed officials for a loss. If this is all you have for 29 years of coaching at Indiana, you haven't got much in terms of Bob Knight problems with officials. (You might also be surprised to learn that Knight consistently ranked near the bottom of Big Ten coaches every year for assessed technical fouls. There are so many media-driven myths about Bob Knight that you could never correct all of them.

Anyway, this is completely unlike many posters on this board who constantly complain....endlessly....about calls in every game, blaming a permanent bias against WF in almost every WF loss.

The bottom line is that winners look for ways to win, while losers look for excuses to lose. And nowhere is that losers' mentality more evident than among the WF fans on this board. It has become almost comical....as certain as the sun rising in the east. They feed off each other with their own little pity party during every game....endlessly going back & forth about almost every call made against WF. Reading posts on WF game threads would have one believe that everyone was certain that there was an official referees' bias against poor little WF. That attitude seems to have been engrained into WF fans' psyche now....at least those who post on this board. And until that losers' mentality is broken, all WF is going to do is keep on losing.

Last edited:
Knight coached at Indiana for 29 years. Those things you listed hardly rise to the charge of "blaming officials for a loss". Do you know why Knight got those last two technicals against Illinois in 1998? I'll give you a clue: It didn't have anything to do with the game itself. His player (I think it was Luke Recker, but I'm not 100% certain on that) was laying on the floor hurt under the basket & Valentine called a technical on Knight for coming on the court to check on his player's injury. And when Knight complained about that technical, Valentine called another one on him. That didn't have anything to do with how fouls were being called in the game.

And the technical for kicking the megaphone resulted from Knight being upset with the cheerleaders....not the officials.

And I didn't say that Knight has never complained about a particular call....only that he's never blamed officials for a loss. If this is all you have for 29 years of coaching at Indiana, you haven't got much in terms of Bob Knight problems with officials. (You might also be surprised to learn that Knight consistently ranked near the bottom of Big Ten coaches every year for assessed technical fouls. There are so many media-driven myths about Bob Knight that you could never correct all of them.

Anyway, this is completely unlike many posters on this board who constantly complain....endlessly....about calls in every game, blaming a permanent bias against WF in almost every WF loss.

The bottom line is that winners look for ways to win, while losers look for excuses to lose. And nowhere is that losers' mentality more evident than among the WF fans on this board. It has become almost comical....as certain as the sun rising in the east. They feed off each other with their own little pity party during every game....endlessly going back & forth about almost every call made against WF. Reading posts on WF game threads would have one believe that everyone was certain that there was an official referees' bias against poor little WF. That attitude seems to have been engrained into WF fans' psyche now....at least those who post on this board. And until that losers' mentality is broken, all WF is going to do is keep on losing.

No, that was only after a very short google search and those are only the instances of complaining and blaming officials that were so severe he was punished. I realize that your man-crush (unless it's goes beyond that, which in today's society isn't that big a deal by the way) makes you blind to what a whining, douchebag he is though.

You can't be serious....Bob Knight was the worst at blaming officials for losses in an implied fashion (i.e. throwing chairs on the court)

You are totally ignorant with that statement. In the first place, you used the term "chairs"...as in plural....when it only happened one time in Knight's career. Really lazy on your part. Secondly, Knight made that admittedly regrettable move to fire up his players more than to criticize the officials. It happened very early in the first half of the game against Purdue....so Knight could hardly have been that upset yet with officials, and certainly not to blame them for a loss when the game had barely begun. He was upset with the early play of his team.

The problem with people & Bob Knight is that the media pumps all this stuff into people in order to sell newspapers, magazines, etc.....and the lazy fans just swallow all of it hook, line & sinker with confirming the veracity of what was said or written, or the circumstances in which it happened.

I've learned to discount anything anyone says about Bob Knight who says something like: "He's the guy who throws chairs on the court." That's a dead giveaway that someone has just had his mind programmed by a manipulating media.

Yeah it's much easier to just go find the kid who got choked, watch video on mute of Bobby K acting like a petulant child, seek out your own eyewitnesses of him dropping pants at Puerto Rico on the way out, etc.

Yeah it's much easier to just go find the kid who got choked, watch video on mute of Bobby K acting like a petulant child, seek out your own eyewitnesses of him dropping pants at Puerto Rico on the way out, etc.

Look you dumbass, the media had it out for Coach Knight and all that crap about throwing chairs and choking players was just made up. The fact is he was taking food and water to the deprived people in Puerto Rico, but you don't want to hear that, you just want to believe the videos of him saying things, throwing things and choking people that the media totally fabricated.

I have no idea why he threw the chair (although he had already been T'd up at that point of the game and a few questionable calls had gone against IU early) but players from the team said they weren't surprised he threw it because he did it all the time at practice (the record was 52 chairs in one practice).

So maybe it wasn't about the officials and was just another symptom of ol' Bobby being utterly batshit crazy and in need of meds and/or psychological counseling.

I have no idea why he threw the chair (although he had already been T'd up at that point of the game and a few questionable calls had gone against IU early) but players from the team said they weren't surprised he threw it because he did it all the time at practice (the record was 52 chairs in one practice).

So maybe it wasn't about the officials and was just another symptom of ol' Bobby being utterly batshit crazy and in need of meds and/or psychological counseling.

You ignorant fool, he was simply providing a chair to an elderly person across the court that was having to stand because an opposing fan had stole their seat.

Last edited:
Somewhat random, but right now Thomas is averaging 16.9 PPG and 10.4 RPG. If that holds through the rest of the year (could be tough as he continues to play in the ACC), he will be the 9th player in the ACC in the past 20 years to average those numbers. He is very underrated. If you throw in 2+ APG, he joins Tim Duncan (x2), as the only player in the ACC in the past 20 years to have those numbers.

What Devin can't do for us is go into that shell he went into at this stage last season. He was averaging a double-double and one of the few guys in the country doing so. He was a certain 1st or at least 2nd team All-ACC. He then had games of 4 or fewer points and became non-existent. He had so many of them that he got 0 votes for all-conference which means he was not even honorable mention.

knightchair.jpg

I've always thought maybe he was just practicing his golf swing, nice backswing and follow through in those pictures.

Can we drop the NCAA pipe dream? It was never going to happen, and I think everybody here would've been shocked if it happened coming into this season. We are simply not a very good or smart b-ball team. Even when we win, it is often in spite of ourselves and it is always ugly. We might see the NIT. Might. That is a successful season if we can pull that off. If we don't and end up somewhere around .500, I think that would be where most expected us to be going into the season.

Back