• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Unofficial Wake @ VaTech Thread. 9pm fox sports south and ESPN3

Can we drop the NCAA pipe dream? It was never going to happen, and I think everybody here would've been shocked if it happened coming into this season. We are simply not a very good or smart b-ball team. Even when we win, it is often in spite of ourselves and it is always ugly. We might see the NIT. Might. That is a successful season if we can pull that off. If we don't and end up somewhere around .500, I think that would be where most expected us to be going into the season.

Coming into the season, yes. But when you beat Indiana, UCLA and LSU on the road with no "bad" losses OOC, expectations change.

Plus real chances to win vs. X, Louisville and (maybe) Duke.

I have no idea why he threw the chair (although he had already been T'd up at that point of the game and a few questionable calls had gone against IU early) but players from the team said they weren't surprised he threw it because he did it all the time at practice (the record was 52 chairs in one practice).

So maybe it wasn't about the officials and was just another symptom of ol' Bobby being utterly batshit crazy and in need of meds and/or psychological counseling.

Every Big Ten Conference basketball game between NCAA national championship contenders is an experience, a happening, and a must-see event. The buzz begins the morning of the game, whether it's in Bloomington, Columbus or Ann Arbor. The intensity grows as the clock moves toward game time. By early evening, students, administration officials, coaches and players are ready to burst.

So when Bob Knight's Indiana Hoosiers took the court against Gene Keady's Purdue Boilermakers on February 23, 1985, electricity permeated throughout jam-packed Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Indiana. The NCAA Tournament was coming up, only a couple of weeks away. So every victory was vital, every performance had to be nearly flawless.

But on this chilly winter night in Indiana, the Hoosiers were flawed, not flawless.

THE MOMENT

The Boilermakers seize a quick lead that rapidly balloons to an 11-2 embarrassment for the Hoosiers on their own floor. It's only four minutes into the contest, and Knight, whose temper tantrums and vile antics have earned him as much attention as his many victories, was seething. You can sense something bad is going to transpire, especially when Knight flies off the bench when a foul is called on Hoosiers guard Steve Alford with 15:59 left in the half.

Fifty-eight seconds later, when a foul is called against Indiana's Marty Simmons, Knight vehemently protests again as he stalks the sidelines -- yelling, pointing, fuming. Then, as Purdue inbounds the ball, another foul is called on Indiana, this time on Daryl Thomas. Knight goes absolutely ballistic, cussing and shrieking at the officials. He is finally hit with a technical by referee Fred Jaspers. Enraged over his team's lackadaisical start and the officials' calls, Knight loses it. He turns toward the Hoosiers' bench, fuming, wanting to take out his rage on someone, something, anything. Instinctively, he picks up a folding chair from the Hoosiers' bench, and just when you think he's going to slam it into the floor, he hurls it across the court, to the utter shock and disbelief of everyone watching.

The chair is heading right toward the wheelchair section of the arena, sliding, twisting and turning across the court, a site so outlandish and so unusual that it's like a mirage. Everyone in Assembly Hall, other than Knight, is incredulous. Knight's own players and staff have seen his uncontrollable rage before -- usually at closed practices. But this is an actual game, being played in front of thousands of people in the stands and many more on TV.

"I was shocked," Purdue's Steve Reid would say later. "I've never seen anything like this happen before."

Last edited:
Every Big Ten Conference basketball game between NCAA national championship contenders is an experience, a happening, and a must-see event. The buzz begins the morning of the game, whether it's in Bloomington, Columbus or Ann Arbor. The intensity grows as the clock moves toward game time. By early evening, students, administration officials, coaches and players are ready to burst.

So when Bob Knight's Indiana Hoosiers took the court against Gene Keady's Purdue Boilermakers on February 23, 1985, electricity permeated throughout jam-packed Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Indiana. The NCAA Tournament was coming up, only a couple of weeks away. So every victory was vital, every performance had to be nearly flawless.

But on this chilly winter night in Indiana, the Hoosiers were flawed, not flawless.

THE MOMENT

The Boilermakers seize a quick lead that rapidly balloons to an 11-2 embarrassment for the Hoosiers on their own floor. It's only four minutes into the contest, and Knight, whose temper tantrums and vile antics have earned him as much attention as his many victories, was seething. You can sense something bad is going to transpire, especially when Knight flies off the bench when a foul is called on Hoosiers guard Steve Alford with 15:59 left in the half.

Fifty-eight seconds later, when a foul is called against Indiana's Marty Simmons, Knight vehemently protests again as he stalks the sidelines -- yelling, pointing, fuming. Then, as Purdue inbounds the ball, another foul is called on Indiana, this time on Daryl Thomas. Knight goes absolutely ballistic, cussing and shrieking at the officials. He is finally hit with a technical by referee Fred Jaspers. Enraged over his team's lackadaisical start and the officials' calls, Knight loses it. He turns toward the Hoosiers' bench, fuming, wanting to take out his rage on someone, something, anything. Instinctively, he picks up a folding chair from the Hoosiers' bench, and just when you think he's going to slam it into the floor, he hurls it across the court, to the utter shock and disbelief of everyone watching.

The chair is heading right toward the wheelchair section of the arena, sliding, twisting and turning across the court, a site so outlandish and so unusual that it's like a mirage. Everyone in Assembly Hall, other than Knight, is incredulous. Knight's own players and staff have seen his uncontrollable rage before -- usually at closed practices. But this is an actual game, being played in front of thousands of people in the stands and many more on TV.

"I was shocked," Purdue's Steve Reid would say later. "I've never seen anything like this happen before."

I hope you didn't post that to try to support your notion that Knight wasn't a whiny, ill-tempered, bully, douchebag.

I hope you didn't post that to try to support your notion that Knight wasn't a whiny, ill-tempered, bully, douchebag.

I posted it as a response to ironwill's statement that Knight threw the chair to protest the officials causing him to lose the game.....when they were only 5 minutes into the game when it happened.

The point being that ironwill had no idea what the circumstances were surrounding that incident. He was just repeating in mynah bird-fashion what the media had drilled into his head over many years.

ETA: 21 years ago this month, I drove 1,300 miles (round-trip) in the middle of a 17-inch Midwest snowstorm just to meet the man for 20 minutes and watch a Friday night practice session in Assembly Hall. They weren't even playing a game. So I seriously doubt that anything anyone on this board says is going to shake my support for the man.

Last edited:
I posted it as a response to ironwill's statement that Knight threw the chair to protest the officials causing him to lose the game.....when they were only 5 minutes into the game when it happened.

The point being that ironwill had no idea what the circumstances were surrounding that incident. He was just repeating in mynah bird-fashion what the media had drilled into his head over many years.

Well, you've certainly illustrated hot much of an uncontrollable hot-head Knight is then, because it would take exactly that to be that out of control that early in the game to do that.

Can we drop the NCAA pipe dream? It was never going to happen, and I think everybody here would've been shocked if it happened coming into this season. We are simply not a very good or smart b-ball team. Even when we win, it is often in spite of ourselves and it is always ugly. We might see the NIT. Might. That is a successful season if we can pull that off. If we don't and end up somewhere around .500, I think that would be where most expected us to be going into the season.

This is the post to make after we lose our next 4. Going 1-1 against VaTech/Syracuse was the expectation - and we could still beat Syracuse. To get back on track we need to steal one from Miami, UVA, or UNC. UVA's been hot and cold and we have them at home.

Not over yet.

Coming into the season, yes. But when you beat Indiana, UCLA and LSU on the road with no "bad" losses OOC, expectations change.

And they could very easily change again. If they don't beat Syracuse on Saturday, they could easily wake up on February 1st with an ACC record of 1-8.

This is the post to make after we lose our next 4. Going 1-1 against VaTech/Syracuse was the expectation - and we could still beat Syracuse. To get back on track we need to steal one from Miami, UVA, or UNC. UVA's been hot and cold and we have them at home.

Not over yet.

We needed to go 2-0 against Va. Tech and Cuse I think. Cuse is definitely beatable but I have visions of us struggling against their zone.

I have to agree with this. Unless these guys pull off a miracle, we are done here

We needed to go 2-0 against Va. Tech and Cuse I think. Cuse is definitely beatable but I have visions of us struggling against their zone.

Eh, not really. Potential non-ridiculous outcome - wins against Syracuse, Notre Dame, Clemson, GaTech, NCState, BC, VaTech rematch, Notre Dame rematch. 9 wins, that drops every game against ranked teams and a couple extra. Still possible without anything really crazy happening.

I don't think it will, but losing on the road to VaTech didn't just end our season. Syracuse is as close to a must-win as NC State was though.

THE MOMENT

Most people do not care about basketball in Columbus and Ann Arbor.

I can assure you that far more people care about basketball in Columbus & Ann Arbor than care about basketball in Blacksburg & Winston-Salem.

Having lived in Ann Arbor and Winston-Salem, and currently living in Cincinnati (1.5 hours south of Columbus), that's not really true. Ohio State fans are notorious for caring only about football. Ann Arbor, people care, but basketball reigns supreme in North Carolina.

I'll bet Collins's lack of fundamentals drive that old man crazy! Seriously, are we watching the same game?

Collins is really productive, but he's just not ready to play consistent minutes yet and he proves that game-after-game.
He scored 2 points on a nice move in 2 minutes of play. What did he fuck up so badly during the other 1:48?

Whatever bro. Posters like PHdeac are capable of forming thoughts on Wake basketball that are more in depth than "We suck because CMM SUCKS!!!!!111!1!!, please transfer!111!!!!!"
I didn't think you could understand deep thoughts, being from that community college of cullowee.

Back