• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Unpopular opinions

i assumed craft cocktails were those that are made up by the bartender, not 'Manhattan but this time we use nontraditional ingredient(s)!"

Harshing on both Cap'n Crunch and Triscuits in the same post? I don't know how popular or unpopular in general those sentiments are, but I'm defs on the exact opposite end of that debate.

whoa now. cap'n crunch is one of my favorite cereals, but it tears my mouth up like crazy. i know others have experienced that as well, so i just used it in comparison/comparability to the effect of triscuits.

I have to laugh when some bar full of mustachioed bozos in vests talks about their "craft cocktails". Every fucking cocktail is a craft cocktail unless it's dispensed out of a frozen machine.

new restaurant formula:

-spartan/minimalist/industrial vibe with lots of edison lightbulbs
-naming convention of ____ & ______ (the ampersand is critical; it's best if the two words are only MAYBE tangentially related)
-"local fare"
-"craft cocktails and beer"

...don't get me wrong, I'll eat at them and most are pretty good, but damn if it isn't all eyeroll-worthy.

Triscuits aren't even close to Cap'n Crunch when it comes to fiberglass-like quality.

Sounds like you have a weak mouth, leebs.

new restaurant formula:

-spartan/minimalist/industrial vibe with lots of edison lightbulbs
-naming convention of ____ & ______ (the ampersand is critical; it's best if the two words are only MAYBE tangentially related)
-"local fare"
-"craft cocktails and beer"

...don't get me wrong, I'll eat at them and most are pretty good, but damn if it isn't all eyeroll-worthy.

I'm waiting for the farm-to-table competition to start publishing actual distances. Our farms are only an aggregate of 63.5 miles away, those punk ass bitches up the street are sourcing at 83.2, suck our carcinogens, rubes. Nevermind that the farms around here grow in shit soil and polluted water, hence why everyone started buying from Iowa in the first place, but we source local so eat it because it simply must be better.

i assumed craft cocktails were those that are made up by the bartender, not 'Manhattan but this time we use nontraditional ingredient(s)!"

Yeah this. My girlfriend is the manager of a tasting room at a local distillery and created the whole menu and updates it every two to three months completely from scratch. There are some cocktails that are classics but every thing that's sold is either a natural product or made by the distillery. I think that's pretty definitionally a "craft" cocktail even though I understand that 2&2 takes umbrage with the ubiquity of the word and maybe not specific use.

There was a series about food in the Tampa Bay Times about a year ago that exposed a lot of "farm-to-table" myths. They found restaurants would start using locally sourced food and then stop dealing with the farmers, but still list their farms as suppliers.

There was a series about food in the Tampa Bay Times about a year ago that exposed a lot of "farm-to-table" myths. They found restaurants would start using locally sourced food and then stop dealing with the farmers, but still list their farms as suppliers.

yeah it was a pretty revealing piece. basically certain restaurants would sell dishes than a farm would be able to produce that year so it was impossible that farm was the sole supplier.

i mean, menus are expensive to print, man

The stuff about farmers markets was very interesting too. Publix is headquartered in Lakeland which is about 30 min from Tampa. Any local produce that makes it to a farmers market has probably been rejected by Publix. They're the primary produce buyer in the area.

Add me to the list of folks who generally ignore the craft cocktail section of the menu. Not necessarily from overuse of the term but because upon examination of the ingredients they often translate to "a lot of really sweet stuff that will overpower the base spirit."

whoa now. cap'n crunch is one of my favorite cereals, but it tears my mouth up like crazy. i know others have experienced that as well, so i just used it in comparison/comparability to the effect of triscuits.

seems like you were putting triscuits in the bottom tier simply because it has the same mouth feel trait as Cap'n. Maybe not. Either way, Triscuits are a top tier cracker.

Back