• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Unpopular opinions

It's the perfect take for this thread. I bet if you polled every active user you'd get less than 1% agreement.

And that was a great FB as well. Rinfrette was only behind Mughelli and Bohannon.

I wish we had and used the FB again.

Me too. That's the kind of out-of-the-box thinking I wish our current HC had. Either ground and pound from the I or go Air Raid. This line-up in the exact same sets that 75 other FBS teams use, doesn't work when you have inferior talent.

It's the perfect take for this thread. I bet if you polled every active user you'd get less than 1% agreement.

Sure, but it's so out there that you question whether SDeacz actually believes it. It's like saying He Who Shall Not Named deserved a few more years or Trump is a great President -- seems like the right take for this thread, but no one in their right mind believes it.

Isn't SDeacz a former All ACC Football player for the Deacs?

He probably knows something(a lot) that we don't.

Maybe Lobo is a genius but had reigns on him the whole time.

Isn't SDeacz a former All ACC Football player for the Deacs?

He probably knows something(a lot) that we don't.

Maybe Lobo is a genius but had reigns on him the whole time.

I point stuff like this out frequently. Of course in this case it could simply be loyalty or it could be that our entire coaching staff in every sport has bought into the LOWF culture. But more likely things are more complex than "it was working! why didn't we keep doing it!" or "the D-line should take up a three-point stance" or "why are we always running out of shotgun" etc. Very few people on here actually know as much as they think they do.

I point stuff like this out frequently. Of course in this case it could simply be loyalty or it could be that our entire coaching staff in every sport has bought into the LOWF culture. But more likely things are more complex than "it was working! why didn't we keep doing it!" or "the D-line should take up a three-point stance" or "why are we always running out of shotgun" etc. Very few people on here actually know as much as they think they do.

Serious answer: You are absolutely right.
Message board answer: He was a punter. Of course he was going to love Lobo !!

A buddy of mine was a football player and he described Lobo as a genius. I dunno.

Anytime a football player evaluates anyone's mental acuity, I know I'm all ears.

Anytime a football player evaluates anyone's mental acuity, I know I'm all ears.

135585.jpg

This may be a repost but if you have a cold no matter how small. Shut it down. No public appearances for you.

Do not let heathens, like Townie, convince you otherwise.

If some one does transmit, show them the hate.

Serious answer: You are absolutely right.
Message board answer: He was a punter. Of course he was going to love Lobo !!

LOL.

A buddy of mine was a football player and he described Lobo as a genius. I dunno.

If he truly said he was almost a rocket scientist, he definitely isn't a genius.

Are Lobo and the Air Force staff feeling some heat? Air Force is 3-4, 2-4 when he tweeted this.

Last edited:
The dude decided it would be a good idea to spread a FB out wide for an entire season with the best QB in program history - sometimes a RB/TE at the same time - and thought our best chance at success with Tanner Price was an option offense. Sounds like head coach material to me.

Yep, that's it. I don't even know what this means.

Lobo ran a jumbo spread formation in which a FB and/or TE were split wide for about half of a season.

I think the idea was that the FB and/or TE could block the smaller CBs and free up the edge for rushers. Of course, it left Skinner to be a sitting duck and the CBs were too quick for the jumbos to block.

Last edited:
So I know little about Offensive Schemes, but probably more than most. Just not an expert. I know that Lobo was a REALLY great Oline coach. He was a great motivator, kept guys accountable, no excuses, no BS. He took bad offensive performances very seriously, never blamed anyone, just worked harder. He was really a genius, and probably outsmarted himself sometimes.

I think he would have been a great HC for that reason. I honestly don't know enough about offensive scheme to say whether or not his play calling abilities were ACC level, I still maintain that the plays the boards (and mostly Ph) point too as an awful call in the Purdue game, which is where the Lobo bitching started, wasn't a bad call, but really really poor execution against a superior opponent. But I think he'd have been a great HC. Maybe he doesn't call plays as a HC? I don't know. But the traits that I've seen in successful HC's, Lobo had, and would have succeeded. The jury is still out on Clawson for me. twice in the game, We absolutely botch the execution on 3rd or 4th down plays. And he's SCREAMING at the ref. How about talk to Ruggiero, Wolford, the oline about their execution. There were absolutely some bad calls on borderline plays in this game. But he needs to be a HC, not a fan screaming at officials when the OC and offense folds in tight spots.

Lobo ran a jumbo spread formation in which a FB and/or TE were split wide for about half of a season.

I think the idea was that the FB and/or TE could block the smaller CBs and free up the edge for rushers. Of course, it left Skinner to be a sitting duck and the CBs were too quick for the jumbos to block.

It also creates match up Problems. Tereshinski, et al on smaller corners were an option for 50/50 balls, which Skinner threw too many of, especially against Navy.

Back