• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Unpopular opinions

Lobo ran a jumbo spread formation in which a FB and/or TE were split wide for about half of a season.

I think the idea was that the FB and/or TE could block the smaller CBs and free up the edge for rushers. Of course, it left Skinner to be a sitting duck and the CBs were too quick for the jumbos to block.

Also, the orbit sweep works a lot better with a FB or TE crack blocking a LB, instead of a WR. There's definitely some good reasons for it.

Sure it has some merit, in theory, but it didn't work. And we squandered one of our most talented teams in program history, at least partly, because of it.

I don't think trying to make Tanner Price an option QB has any merit at all. In 2012, he had 77 rushes for -26 yards. What an elusive dude! So the next year, we decide to run him 123 times for 240 yards. Josh Harris - a physical freak despite his issues - had only 2 more carries than Tanner Price (for twice as many yards).

People forget that Josh Harris had a cup of coffee in the league. Dude psyched himself out but was a freakish athlete.

How could Lobo have been such a good OL coach if we didn't have good OL aside from inheriting Caldwell's players?

Proof, pudding, and such.

Tractor-trailers and other large freight vehicles should be banned from the roads during rush hour.

How could Lobo have been such a good OL coach if we didn't have good OL aside from inheriting Caldwell's players?

Proof, pudding, and such.

Ray McCartney, Army Cheater with Elrod, and WF recruiting coordinator. Easily the worst coach at wake, very unlikable, and the first face that greeted every recruit that walked through the door. Absolutely on Grobe for not changing that up.

Besides that, 4 NFL lineman, that I can recall coached by Lobo, recruited by Grobe's staff? DeGeare, Looney, Justice, Vallos?

We couldn't recruit. We stopped getting the diamonds in the rough like Skinner, Curry, Barclay.

As much as I'm a Lobo apologist, I'd admit he was bad before In-N-Out is overrated, though.

Also, I believe with the advances in technology, especially video easily sent to coaches, it's a lot harder for undiscovered players to remain undiscovered. I remember spending hours trying to get 4 clips of punts onto a VHS tape, then copying that tape 40 times to send to coaches in 2002. Now, you can get 1000 times the quality, and send to every coach in the US, with a cell phone, as long as it takes to write in an email address.

I think it's indisputable that there is more info available and that more people get seen. But having access doesn't mean all those people are seen. If instead of having 50 videos of punters, you now have 700, many coaches (if not not most) won't get through all 700.

There will be fewer falling through the cracks, but the volume of tapes means some will still be missed.

I think it's indisputable that there is more info available and that more people get seen. But having access doesn't mean all those people are seen. If instead of having 50 videos of punters, you now have 700, many coaches (if not not most) won't get through all 700.

There will be fewer falling through the cracks, but the volume of tapes means some will still be missed.

I agree that every coach doesn't watch film of every player available in the US.

Also, I believe with the advances in technology, especially video easily sent to coaches, it's a lot harder for undiscovered players to remain undiscovered. I remember spending hours trying to get 4 clips of punts onto a VHS tape, then copying that tape 40 times to send to coaches in 2002. Now, you can get 1000 times the quality, and send to every coach in the US, with a cell phone, as long as it takes to write in an email address.

I completely agree. I got into an argument with lectro about this several years ago. The Fresh Deacs era was ages ago before the social media era. It was possible to stock a defense with under recruited talent back then.

Seems to be possible today at times as well at some positions. Bates decommitted from Toledo and had most interest from Wake, Toledo, and Iowa State.

I couldn't even get through the first episode of Mindhunter because the acting and dialogue was so bad.

Seems to be possible today at times as well at some positions. Bates decommitted from Toledo and had most interest from Wake, Toledo, and Iowa State.

That's a local MAC offer and a P5 offer. Sure he's better than that but he didn't really fall through the cracks like Curry, Skinner, and Boo.

That's a local MAC offer and a P5 offer. Sure he's better than that but he didn't really fall through the cracks like Curry, Skinner, and Boo.

This should go to the sports board, think there is already a couple of threads for it.

Baseball was much better when the players were juiced up. Sports would be better if athletes were all juiced up.

Back