• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Unpopular opinions

Where do we draw the line? Lunch with former co worker who is opposite sex? Drinks after work with good friend of opposite sex from school and or co worker? Dinner with good friend of opposite sex who is married and you’re also married?

Next you’re gonna tell me it’s too far to be naked in bed with someone of the opposite sex who isn’t your significant other. God damn Puritans on here playing Mother May I

Where do we draw the line? Lunch with former co worker who is opposite sex? Drinks after work with good friend of opposite sex from school and or co worker? Dinner with good friend of opposite sex who is married and you’re also married?

Like this would ever happen to you.

My god, you guys suck.

Yes I can have interactions with the opposite sex without (using PH sensationalized language) "Pulling my penis out".

It removes a potential issue, and the issue doesn't have to be sex. For example, IF My wife is busy with the kids, doesn't talk to me as much or at all during this season of life. I really like talking to Jane Doe at work, I'll see if I can have lunch with her again. Or even confide emotionally about issues in my life with her, instead of my wife. I value and prioritize my relationship with my wife, over all others, that includes emotional relationships. I can speak, interact with women, especially when it comes to work settings just fine. The specific example was a 1-1 meal, which isn't necessary. Other's can be there, or we can have the conversation in the office. I realize in our culture, Lunch business meetings with a supervisor, or co worker of the opposite sex are common. So is divorce. I don't really care what you all choose to do. But it's what My wife and I have discussed that we think is a reasonable boundary to protect our marriage, even if it's a little "over the top" in your opinion.

How do you even function day to day if you can't handle 1-1 interactions with someone of the opposite sex? Get it together geez

The example was a meal, not interaction. And I never said I couldn't "handle it." But the meal isn't necessary, so I forego meals with the opposite sex.

Last edited:

This is probably moot for me. Drinks after work wouldn't happen because with the kids, working out, work schedule, I barely have enough time to talk to just my wife about something not relating to the kids as is. I wouldn't want to take more time away from that so that I could "catch up" with a friend. I'd rather catch up with my wife, if I have the time.

Good friend, opposite sex, married. I think we'd just get the spouses to come? I don't see why I would ever be in a situation where I said "I'll tell my wife to stay home, you tell your husband, and we'll just have dinner together." Plus I don't think I have any good female friends that are not a mutual friend of both my wife and I, so my wife would want to get a sitter and come anyway.

Work lunch, if it's work related, lets talk about it in the office. If it's not, lets invite other people.

To each their own.

I'm pretty sure 50% of marriages end because it's a crappy marriage. Not that a spouse has a friend, co-worker etc of the opposite sex that they may see socially or work related alone sometimes. I happen to think not having relationships outside your marriage makes that marriage harder. Puts more pressure on the spouse to be everything for each other leading to resentment, lack of "self" etc. Also makes it more likely "you" will have a tougher time saying no if something ever presents itself.

To each their own.

I'm pretty sure 50% of marriages end because it's a crappy marriage. Not that a spouse has a friend, co-worker etc of the opposite sex that they may see socially or work related alone sometimes. I happen to think not having relationships outside your marriage makes that marriage harder. Puts more pressure on the spouse to be everything for each other leading to resentment, lack of "self" etc. Also makes it more likely "you" will have a tougher time saying no if something ever presents itself.

Do you think you have to have alone time with someone to have a relationship with them?

I have plenty of relationships with males and females outside of my wife. I've spoken to many of them one on one. I don't have 1 on 1 meals with them. I don't think that puts pressure on my marriage. I don't think I need to practice saying no to opportunities to make sure I don't have a tough times saying no if an opportunity presents itself.

Last edited:
I just had a lunch with a hot, unmarried former coworker -- somehow managed not to pull out my donger. Close call though.

Yeah I mean you don't even allow yourself to get lunch with a coworker?

This stuff blows my mind, I thought it was just Diggler and Pence but adding another and it seems like the percentage that believe this is way higher. America, so sexually repressed.

Clarify: you mean for everyone or for adults? I think Halloween is great for kids. When grown ass adults start having costume parties and shit, that's where I draw the line.

Costume parties were a lot more fun when we could get away with wearing offensive shit.

I work downtown and so do most of my friends either from law school or former jobs. We meet up for lunch in one-on-one settings frequently. Chat about work, life, shoot the shit, whatever. Similarly, once every couple weeks I plan to meet up with people sometimes only one other person can come (most of my friends in this area/former co-workers are female). My girlfriend doesn't work downtown so she wouldn't come downtown just to meet us.

On the flip side, my girlfriend works in a heavily male-dominated industry and frequently gets lunch, dinner, or drinks with male co-workers. Hell twice this week she went out to dinner with a male just the two of them - one a former coworker, one a mentor type.

I'm not judging anyone, but I'm definitely with Louis Gossett - had no idea this was a thing at all. I mean this is absolutely wild. Makes me wonder what other stuff people do that I have no idea about.

I work downtown and so do most of my friends either from law school or former jobs. We meet up for lunch in one-on-one settings frequently. Chat about work, life, shoot the shit, whatever. Similarly, once every couple weeks I plan to meet up with people sometimes only one other person can come (most of my friends in this area/former co-workers are female). My girlfriend doesn't work downtown so she wouldn't come downtown just to meet us.

On the flip side, my girlfriend works in a heavily male-dominated industry and frequently gets lunch, dinner, or drinks with male co-workers. Hell twice this week she went out to dinner with a male just the two of them - one a former coworker, one a mentor type.

I'm not judging anyone, but I'm definitely with Louis Gossett - had no idea this was a thing at all. I mean this is absolutely wild. Makes me wonder what other stuff people do that I have no idea about.

Yeah, that's great it works out for you and your SO. I guess that's the important thing, whatever or however you manage your relationships, is your business, and really shouldn't bother anyone else. I don't think it's a bad thing to have a meal with opposite sex one on one.. It's something my wife and I have discussed at length, and decided that was best for us, mostly because it's unnecessary. I haven't had any of my relationships diminish because I don't have a meal one on one with someone.

Last edited:
Back