• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Unpopular opinions

It just occurred to me how loathed Leslie would be on these boards, since she was the biggest Joe Biden fan around.

When you wonder who helps make NCIS the number one watched show, people like 2&2 is the answer.

My wife and I also watch it. It doesn’t take a whole lot of effort which is generally what I’m looking for when I get home from work.

Lots of good shows thrown out here, I'm somewhat miffed by a few omissions listed below in order of egregiousness

Community
Letterkenny
Schitt's Creek
Brooklyn Nine-Nine

For the "Parks and Rec - GOAT" crew, what are your thoughts on the first two seasons? The first season is objectively bad, especially when stacked up against the show's prime.

30 Rock might be the only post-2000 comedy that doesn't have a major flaw, but you could even argue that it didn't really get going until season 2.

I'd make an argument for Detroiters, but it's much easier for a two-season show to be good than a longer one.

I assume sketch comedy shows don't count, because if so, Key & Peele wins.
The Chappelle Show was the best sketch comedy show of all time, that one isn't even really close.

Lots of good shows thrown out here, I'm somewhat miffed by a few omissions listed below in order of egregiousness

Community (eh)
Letterkenny (haven't seen)
Schitt's Creek (good call)
Brooklyn Nine-Nine (good call)

For the "Parks and Rec - GOAT" crew, what are your thoughts on the first two seasons? The first season is objectively bad, especially when stacked up against the show's prime.

30 Rock might be the only post-2000 comedy that doesn't have a major flaw, but you could even argue that it didn't really get going until season 2.

I'd make an argument for Detroiters, but it's much easier for a two-season show to be good than a longer one.

I assume sketch comedy shows don't count, because if so, Key & Peele wins.

Season 1 was only the first 6 episodes. Plenty of comedies take 6+ episodes to get going. The big problem with Season 1 was that Leslie was just a female Michael Scott and it kind of suffered from what wore on The Office during the last few seasons of the show. Just people giving weird looks in response to a very annoying person who is in charge for some reason. The other problems were that they didn't really know what to do with Andy or that lame guy who disappeared from the show. I did a rewatch of Season 1 many years ago and thought that the last ep of the season was a good sign of what was to come. Then Season 2 started with the gay penguins ep and it started its subtle political bent and became an all-time great show by Season 3.

They figured out that the show would be funnier if instead of being incompetent, Leslie should be very good at her job but just too much for everyone around her. Then they installed Jerry/Garry/Gerry as the character who got picked on instead of Leslie and things rounded out. Keep in mind, I don't like Amy Poehler. She annoys me to no end in everything except Parks and Rec where I love her as Leslie Knope.

30Rock was good, but it relied a lot on Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin. A lot of the other characters fell flat often. Near the end, the show just lacked direction.

I'll throw in Southside on Comedy Central as an early contender for the best comedy of the 20s.

Last edited:
yeah, there are some borderline "comedies" and I don't have a strong enough grasp of TV vocabulary to know if there is a distinction between sitcoms and comedies, but Atlanta and High Maintenance are two personal favorites

and Archer is defs on the list if animated is included

The first handful of seasons of Archer are perfect.

The Highwomen is a fucking joke and every one of their singles is terrible. Amanda Shires would be scraping for rent every month if she weren’t married to Jason Isbell.

The League is probably the only one. I noticed the other day, when of course recording BH90210, that I hadn't haven't had any show in the DVR series manager since then.

Speaking of unpopular opinions, The League is basically a 30 minute Bud Lite commercial, so only occasionally funny.

Back