• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Unpopular opinions

well looks like we have another 1,000 ph posts coming

I've barely participated in this discussion.

Ph, you probably know more about Star Wars and definitely more about Marvel than me, but the comparison seems apt to me. Star Wars releases used to be a big deal, now they’re annual. They were once serialized around a central story and now there are spin-off hero title stories. It used to be campy fun and now it’s the biggest actors in the world doing winking innuendo and bad dad jokes and representation politics. Maybe it isn’t a perfect like for like but they’ve definitely found a formula that works for fan service and the masses.

If you're talking about the sequel films (Force Awakens, Last Jedi, Rise of Skywalker), I'd say the big problem is that they didn't "Marvel-ize" for the reasons I stated. That's why the sequels were generally a critical and box office disappointment. But I guess you're right as well if your problem with both is the frequency of the films.

If you're talking about The Mandalorian, yes, Star Wars has cracked the Marvel formula by making TV episodes somewhat similar to how the MCU mirrored a 22-episode season of a TV show. Jon Favreau jumpstarted the MCU with Iron Man and he helms The Mandalorian. The future of Star Wars may be on Disney+ all together.

If you're talking about the sequel films (Force Awakens, Last Jedi, Rise of Skywalker), I'd say the big problem is that they didn't "Marvel-ize" for the reasons I stated. That's why the sequels were generally a critical and box office disappointment. But I guess you're right as well if your problem with both is the frequency of the films.

I also mean Rogue One and Solo, which seem very Marvel-like to me, trying to spin off standalone stories or characters.

I also mean Rogue One and Solo, which seem very Marvel-like to me, trying to spin off standalone stories or characters.

Marvel generally introduces characters in solo or team films and then brings them all together. The only real after the fact spin offs were the Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter TV shows. I guess you could say Spiderman and Black Panther were spin-offs from Civil War but those films were already in the works.

Most people I’ve seen believe Rogue One was the best of the five recent films partly because the characters were so detached from previous films but the story fit in well.

one thing that's like Marvel/comic books is that they're now bringing Star Wars characters back that were thought to be dead like Palpatine, Maul, Boba Fett.

Rogue One is probably the third best movie in the whole Star Wars franchise, behind The Empire Strikes Back and A New Hope.

Comparing it to how an awuful film like Venom fits into the Marvel Universe is silly.

Rogue One is probably the third best movie in the whole Star Wars franchise, behind The Empire Strikes Back and A New Hope.

Comparing it to how an awuful film like Venom fits into the Marvel Universe is silly.

Venom isn’t in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

None of it is great cinema and I wasn’t making a value judgement, just explaining my comparison.

If Rogue One were a sci-fi movie set in a non-Star Wars universe, it would be considered even better. It’s a legitimately good film.

Well speaking of the Marvelization of Star Wars, they’re in the midst of announcing about a thousand new shows coming to Disney+

Townie would slit his throat seeing the upcoming Disney+ "Originals" that include The Mighty Ducks, Turner & Hooch, a Beauty and the Beast prequel, and Big Shot that imagines if 1980s Bobby Knight was kicked out of the NCAA and forced to be a high school girl's basketball coach played by John Stamos. Gen X is replaying our childhood and young adulthood.

LOL. Zac Efron in Three Men and a Baby the series.

They've got documentaries about Giannis and CP3 coming out though.

Last edited:
Maybe this is an unpopular opinion but I really hate the animation they use for the Star Wars series.

The Force Awakens is 4th in all time box office. Not sure how that is a "disappointment".

The Force Awakens is 4th in all time box office. Not sure how that is a "disappointment".

Because Rise of Skywalker made barely over half that four years later. Not how you want to close out a huge franchise.

People showed up in huge numbers to see Star Wars return and the numbers fell off significantly.

Last edited:
He cherry picked it but that one movie was clearly not a box office disappointment. Silly argument though.

MCU does a great job at what they do. Its not CINEMA!! but with modern streaming and outlets like Netflix and others I hope, eventually, those quirky, worthwhile CINEMA!! movies and TV get a shot.

Back