• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Unpopular opinions

I like IPAs, Porters, and Stouts.

I keep trying to like Sour beers and it just isn’t happening. I enjoy the first few sips and then can’t finish it.

I like IPAs, Porters, and Stouts.

I keep trying to like Sour beers and it just isn’t happening. I enjoy the first few sips and then can’t finish it.

there are a couple of sours I like, like New Belgium's Sour IPA but that's likely due to the hoppiness. Wicked Weed has their Funkatorium sours place here and I've been a few times and all the ones taste very similar. No way to tell that this one has raspberry and this one has mango and lychee.

there are a couple of sours I like, like New Belgium's Sour IPA but that's likely due to the hoppiness. Wicked Weed has their Funkatorium sours place here and I've been a few times and all the ones taste very similar. No way to tell that this one has raspberry and this one has mango and lychee.

Epic Brewing has a great sour IPA - called "Tart n Juicy" - if you can find it on the east coast.

Also, at least historically, all stouts are porters but not all porters are stouts. "Stout" referred to the strength, much like ordering a "bitter" in the UK will still indicate a particular style of ale.

I'd think they're probably differentiated now, but I'm not entirely clear how. I don't think it's consistent

But yeah, I'd never call a Guinness Stout a porter

Also, at least historically, all stouts are porters but not all porters are stouts. "Stout" referred to the strength, much like ordering a "bitter" in the UK will still indicate a particular style of ale.

I'd think they're probably differentiated now, but I'm not entirely clear how. I don't think it's consistent

But yeah, I'd never call a Guinness Stout a porter

Ipas are easy to brew because the hop levels cover up imperfections, that’s probably why every new brewery popping up makes them. Plus they’re fucking delicious so maybe theyre also giving people what they want so they can actually sell some beer.

I’m shocked that catamount has the palate of a teenager though, really I am. I agree with most of you though, I can enjoy pretty much any beer style but sours I don’t enjoy a lot (but I’ll drink them). I also find sweet styles like heavily fruited ales or chocolate stouts are generally gross because they’re way too sweet.

I can enjoy pretty much any beer style but sours I don’t enjoy a lot (but I’ll drink them). I also find sweet styles like heavily fruited ales or chocolate stouts are generally gross because they’re way too sweet.

this is me except i sometimes want a chocolate stout for dessert

Maple is the worst flavor to put in a beer. Always tastes artificial and makes the beer way too sweet.

Porters, brown ales, Ambers, and stouts are fucking great.

I'm with birdman on IPAs-good, but 80% of your taps containing IPAs is excessive. There are not nearly enough lagers, probably because brewers think they are boring or something. My 5 go-to styles are porter, marzen, stout, schwarzbier, brown ale. I'm a sucker for many of the gimmicky flavored stouts/porters, but sometimes a plain English porter or Irish stout hits the spot.

Assuming catamounts last line refers to hefeweizens, I'm with him on that one. Never got into those. I'll drink pretty much anything else, though I've burned out on sours lately.

I like the non-wheat sours

I've complained about the dominance of IPAs several times -- I guess it's the easiest to brew re: margin of error or something

it's probably been more than 5 years since I picked up a six-pack of a stout or porter

IPAs are great because they can vary so widely. I can't detect the differences between pilsners, lagers or belgians, etc. - they basically all taste the same to me. IPAs have ruined them for me.

I really only drink IPAs, imperial stouts, and occasionally something like a corona or a coors light if I just what something watery and refreshing.

non-wheat sours are my new go-to. yum

seems to me that it's pretty easy to avoid any particular style of beer. just stop buying IPAs if you don't like them

non-wheat sours are my new go-to. yum

seems to me that it's pretty easy to avoid any particular style of beer. just stop buying IPAs if you don't like them

Not that easy when IPAs take up a ton of taps and shelf space. Your options for non-IPAs are more limited.

I like the non-wheat sours

I've complained about the dominance of IPAs several times -- I guess it's the easiest to brew re: margin of error or something

it's probably been more than 5 years since I picked up a six-pack of a stout or porter

you liking an IPA would be off brand

Back