• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

US AIR - The Worst

Well I just had to spend the night in Miami last night due to American cancelling a flight. Most miserable half day of work I could possibly imagine today.

Taking a flight from Albany to Charlottesville the night I finished the bar exam. There were 5 other guys on the Albany to Charlotte leg that went to UVA and had been taking the bar exam.

I had it perfectly planned. I'd arrive in Charlottesville at 10:45 and my brother was picking me up with a cocktail in the car and heading straight to bars.

Well we got delayed coming out of Albany and I talked to the flight attendant and mentioned how many guys were on the plane (that I knew of) going to Charlottesville. She said there was a chance they would hold it. I didn't get my hopes up.

We land in CLT and haven't quite missed the plane and they had told the other plans we were landing. I sprint from one side to the other and get there in time to see them close the door of the plane. The gate agent tells us that Charlottesville is doing work on the runway and can't hold any planes.

Me and the guys have the option to get a "discounted" hotel and take the next flight in the morning. We opt to rent a car and drive five hours. I get back to my apartment at 4AM stone sober. Go to the airport to get my bag the next day and ask about the construction the night before. There wasn't any.

I was robbed of my post bar exam celebration.

I fly US Air the most frequently, and it really is terrible.

You'd think that with all this negative publicity coming out lately (and there has been a lot), they would put out commercials/press trying to revamp their image. Maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem like they're trying? I'd be worried about my job if I was an employee of US Air

After Southwest grabbed up the AirTran traffic, there's no reason for me (out of Nashville) to ever fly US Air again. I'm really happy.

US Air sucks, but so does every other carrier.

I fly quite a bit and do have to agree that their flight attendants seem to be the least friendly.

Continental is the only airline that has lost my bags.

Jet Blue pwns. Good deal of leg room, DirecTV, good snacks and service. Always try to fly Jet Blue if I can.

I have disliked US Air ever since the bought out Piedmont.

US Air is so terrible.

I was in Vegas for my bro's bachelor party during the first weekend of March Madness. Flight was supposed to leave Sunday night from Vegas to Phoenix, and then red eye from Phoenix to to D.C.

Of course, the plane has a mechanical failure. I call their number to schedule another flight the next day. Not until I get to the desk to get a hotel voucher do I find that the woman on the phone got me a flight for Tuesday, not Monday. They somehow were able to fix it, but God, they're awful. I plan never to fly them again.

Only positive was that while waiting in line to get the voucher, I started talking to some poli sci professor from Univ. of Illinois. He saw my Wake shirt, and said that 30 years ago, a colleague of his from Univ. of Wyoming got a job at Wake, and everyone at Wyoming was real proud of him. Turns out it was Allen Louden, who I never had in class, but have heard is an awesome dude. Small world.

What's funny about US Airways is that it's like they're intentionally shitty. Take last week, for example. I had to connect through Charlotte and my first flight was delayed. I get off the flight with a number of other passengers and there is no one there. I mean, no one. No agent, no monitor, no announcements, nada. A group of us has to run over to a monitor way down the terminal to find out if our connections have left and where they are. Had this been Delta (as crappy as they can be), there would have been a gate agent waiting there and a monitor with the connecting flights for all passengers affected.

So, I miss my connection and end up getting on a later flight. I always have a rollerboard carry on, as well as a wheeled case that holds my computer and a piece of equipment that I sell (a medical device that can't be checked). I always put it under my seat. Always. I don't cheat by putting two bags in the overhead bin unless a flight is completely empty. As I board the plane, a flight attendant literally jumps in front of me and tells me I have to check my rolling case. I tell him that it will fit. "No it won't," he says. I proceed to tell him that I fly two or three times a week and it's never been a problem - it always fits under the seat, even on regional jets. "Sorry, sir, it won't fit." He tries to grab it from me - no joke. I explain to him that it's an expensive medical device and it will indeed fit (which it did). The dude literally followed me onto the plane. Seriously?

This airline absolutely blows.

I'm totally not surprised to see USAir topping this list, nor to see JetAir near the top.

The only thing worse than USAir in Charlotte is USAir in Philly.

My uncle used to work for them and referred to them as Useless Air

Flying USAir this afternoon. :rulz

My two airline horror stories in the past year were from the airline. One was similar to Cav's where I ended up missing my connection to HHI for ITC's bachelor party weekend.

The other involved some bitch behind the counter who spent 5 minutes asking me questions about my flight, then glanced at her watch and said, "Oh, it's 44 minutes before takeoff now. You can't check your bags unless it's 45 minutes before your flight."

I was livid, especially because I was flying across the country to go camping. I had to carry all my gear onto the plane and had to leave the camping knife my dad had given me at security.

The kicker was that there was a brutal storm going on at the time, which the lady at the counter must have known, and we took off two hours late. So the bags clearly could have been loaded onto the plane.

Luckily for me, my girlfriend, who was with me at the time, doesn't take this kind of stuff lightly. She wrote a string of letters to the airline and got us each $200 vouchers. Still pissed about that knife, though.

I got a voucher for my situation and then when I used it a month later they charged my credit card the full amount and it took several hours of phone calls and then about a week and a half to get my money back.

Back