• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

US Airstrikes Hit a Doctors Without Borders Hospital

avalon

Antwan Scott
Reaction score
Doctors Without Borders Says U.S. May Have Committed War Crime

Summary - early Saturday morning, US airstrikes hit a Doctors Without Borders hospital in Afghanistan, killing 13 staff members and 10 patients, including three children. Doctors Without Borders is now leaving the area.

Doctors Without Borders Says It Is Leaving Kunduz After Strike on Hospital

The closing of the hospital will leave not only the residents of Kunduz, but also those of neighboring districts and provinces, with scant medical care. It was the only free trauma care hospital in northern Afghanistan, according to Doctors Without Borders. The group said that in 2014 more than 22,000 patients received treatment at the hospital and more than 5,900 surgical procedures were performed.

Afghan officials claim there were Taliban fighters on hospital grounds, which the hospital is denying.

Afghan response to hospital bombing is muted, even sympathetic

The tempered tone here comes as Afghan politicians and military leaders are growing increasingly anxious over President Obama’s pending decision about whether he will stick to his pledge to withdraw all remaining 9,800 U.S. troops from the country by the end of 2016.

As Obama’s decision draws closer, Afghan politicians are growing more cautious in how they respond to alleged American blunders, observers say.

Civilians 'accidentally struck' in Afghan hospital bombing, U.S. commander says

"We have now learned that on October 3, Afghan forces advised that they were taking fire from enemy positions and asked for air support from U.S. forces," he said. "An airstrike was then called to eliminate the Taliban threat, and several innocent civilians were accidentally struck."

I miss rj. I wish he were around to defend this.

1. Why are we still doing airstrikes in Afghanistan? There is nobody there that is a threat to us

2. Why is the U.S. military putting out there that Afghan forces requested the strike there as if that is a defense? You still have the obligation to do some due diligence on where you're dropping your bombs

Is this the first time one Nobel Peace Prize winner has bombed another?

Probably, although I immediately thought of Kissinger and Le Duc Tho. Still, I don't know if the US bombed North Vietnam after October 1973.

A couple of other items:

1. The bombing was an accident, a very tragic accident

2. Many felt at the time that Obama got his peace prize, he had done little to deserve it

3. Doctors without borders, on the other hand, deserves all the prizes and support it can get

Probably, although I immediately thought of Kissinger and Le Duc Tho. Still, I don't know if the US bombed North Vietnam after October 1973.

A couple of other items:

1. The bombing was an accident, a very tragic accident

2. Many felt at the time that Obama got his peace prize, he had done little to deserve it

3. Doctors without borders, on the other hand, deserves all the prizes and support it can get

He still hasn't done anything to deserve it. The award is a joke.

I remain confused by the logic that it's OK to defend civilians by bombing civilians because the bad guys are close by.

LK, do you mean the Nobel Peace Prize itself is a joke or simply the decision to award it to Obama? Just need clarification.

This is really bad. Condolences to those who were lost. This is the weight of the presidency. It seems we are behind this, but I hope that we aren't. Would be a tragic mistake to make and would cost the Democrats 35,854 seats in the House.

I remain confused by the logic that it's OK to defend civilians by bombing civilians because the bad guys are close by.

LK, do you mean the Nobel Peace Prize itself is a joke or simply the decision to award it to Obama? Just need clarification.

I'm guessing the latter. He essentially got it for being President Not Bush Lite.

The awarding of it to Obama.

Obama pretty much agreed when he accepted it.

Obama got it because he was the first black president. I don't blame him for accepting it. I wouldn't have turned it down either.

Le Duc Tho didn't accept his. I guess Obama needed the money more.

Or not, since the money was donated to charity and never actually accepted by Obama. Special rule for Nobel (and others, like the Pulitzer) prize winners under the Code to allow you to direct where it goes to charity without taking it into income.

Last edited:
You don't turn down the Nobel Peace Prize. Sorry, but that is ridiculous. There is no way he deserved to win it, but that isn't his fault.

It will be interesting to observe what (if any) the political fallout is from this. If it is true that we bombed a hospital, we better have some good intel for it. If it was an accident it is going to turn (or at least it should) turn into a complete mess for the administration. If Rand Paul can't seize the momentum from this then I don't know if he ever will. It is a picture perfect opportunity for him (and for Bernie Sanders) to gain momentum.

Back