• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

US News 2024 Rankings (Wake #47)

For sure. Spanish was one of my majors and once you got to the upper level courses they basically involved 10-15 students discussing Spanish language literature in Spanish. If the class size went to 30 or 40 this setup wouldn't be possible, at least not in a way where you'd derive the same benefits for language acquisition.

Spanish minor here. Tough courses.

The last Latin class I took to fulfill my major requirement was comprised of the professor (chair of the foreign languages department at the time), and me. In that class I largely translated English prose into Latin. Expectations were obviously high. My professor (who remains a valued friend), took his BA, MA, and PhD from Yale in Latin. An erudite chap, if ever there was one. It was a formative and rewarding experience. Talk about small class size!

That’s basically an independent study. Large public schools also have independent studies.

I think colleges have becomes their own worst enemy. The non stop building and spending money has gotten college tuition to out of control levels. Even people with the means to pay are now asking themselves if 4 years studying English, political science, or literature is worth 325K of after tax money??? It is really not a surprise that state schools that offer a better value are climbing the rankings. And the majors that actually train a specific skill are way more valuable in the real world now. Hence the shift towards valuing research and the future. Public schools used to teach cursive and latin too....Now that seems ridiculous. The schools that continue to rely on the old school liberal arts arenas are going to become more and more irrelevant as time goes on. I think the schools that thrive will be the ones that focus on technology, engineering, medical fields and other actual professional skills going forward. I know myself as a Wake liberal arts alum I would not want any of my kids majoring in an old school liberal arts subject.

The focus on STEM and deemphasis on social sciences and humanities (except as a path to law school) leads to a society of unchecked tech like AI and social media with little consideration of the consequences.

I think folks greatly overrate the day one career preparedness that a STEM or business-related degree has over say a history degree or other liberal arts degree.

Shit I was an accounting major and i went straight to work in public accounting - doesn’t get much more day 1 professional skills relevant than that. The coursework from college was like 10% of what made the first year successful, maybe less. Beyond that it was being able to figure things out (critical thinking) and clear and accurate written communication. That’s probably the same for most jobs tbh. If you can’t learn quick and write well you’re fucked.

STEM is now STEMM because medicine felt left out of the acronym club 😭😭😭

I think colleges have becomes their own worst enemy. The non stop building and spending money has gotten college tuition to out of control levels. Even people with the means to pay are now asking themselves if 4 years studying English, political science, or literature is worth 325K of after tax money??? It is really not a surprise that state schools that offer a better value are climbing the rankings. And the majors that actually train a specific skill are way more valuable in the real world now. Hence the shift towards valuing research and the future. Public schools used to teach cursive and latin too....Now that seems ridiculous. The schools that continue to rely on the old school liberal arts arenas are going to become more and more irrelevant as time goes on. I think the schools that thrive will be the ones that focus on technology, engineering, medical fields and other actual professional skills going forward. I know myself as a Wake liberal arts alum I would not want any of my kids majoring in an old school liberal arts subject.
I majored in psych at WF to make grades to get into WF law. A WF dean told me take something easy. It wasn’t easy, but business graded so low that I stood no chance at law school with that major. Heck, I might have flunked out.

I have multiple friends from Wake Forest whose kids go to Alabama. Some are average students, some could have gotten into Wake. The thing is, if you can get into Wake, you can go to Alabama for next to nothing.

Also, The Bama campus is every bit as nice as Wake's. The buildings are all new or as good as new, and the grounds are meticulously well maintained. Not to mention, the stadium and basketball arena are on campus. The main difference is the scale of the buildings is entirely different, including the $13 million, $39,444-square foot, Phi Mu sorority house. And Tuscaloosa is a decent little town.

I have multiple friends from Wake Forest whose kids go to Alabama. Some are average students, some could have gotten into Wake. The thing is, if you can get into Wake, you can go to Alabama for next to nothing.

Also, The Bama campus is every bit as nice as Wake's. The buildings are all new or as good as new, and the grounds are meticulously well maintained. Not to mention, the stadium and basketball arena are on campus. The main difference is the scale of the buildings is entirely different, including the $13 million, $39,444-square foot, Phi Mu sorority house. And Tuscaloosa is a decent little town.
Plus, Alabama is ranked #44 in US News and Wake is #47. They probably won't even notice that is #44 in state schools (and #170 overall).

Plus, Alabama is ranked #44 in US News and Wake is #47. They probably won't even notice that is #44 in state schools (and #170 overall).

And there you have it. Confirmation that USNWR is reliable.

Alabama is ranked #91 among public universities.

They're tied with Cal State Bernardino, Florida A&M, Kansas State, and the University of Hawaii at Manoa.

Alabama is ranked #91 among public universities.

They're tied with Cal State Bernardino, Florida A&M, Kansas State, and the University of Hawaii at Manoa.
My mistake. Alabama is also #153 in best value (Wake is #64).

Back