• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

US News Rankings: We're No. 28! Yay......at $75K a year?

#anecdotes but my buddy was summa cum laude majoring in Bio at Wake with above average test scores and got straight rejected by some pretty middle-of-the-road med schools
Damnnnnn. That’s brutal. What’s the deal with job, though? Seems if medical students pass their board specialization exam they can have a good career.

Exactly. Had he done the same at NC State, ECU, High Point, Elon, etc he would be straight rejected by all medical schools.

Uh Rafi bringing HEAT

Maybe he is overly defensive of the athletic department. I don’t know or care because I don’t really pay attention. But it is a fun little board amusement that he always had to defend himself against charges that he worked for the athletic office and this whole time he was an academic physician. It took Covid to bring out the truth.

Damnnnnn. That’s brutal. What’s the deal with job, though? Seems if medical students pass their board specialization exam they can have a good career.

he also got in to some good schools

point being that the med school admissions process seems pretty inconsistent

Law school admission are probably the most consistent of the bunch. The LSAT is 90% of an application.

I think dental schools are probably pretty random - they have the DAT, but I don't think it represents as much of the applicant as LSAT:Law schools.

Uh Rafi bringing HEAT

Maybe he is overly defensive of the athletic department. I don’t know or care because I don’t really pay attention. But it is a fun little board amusement that he always had to defend himself against charges that he worked for the athletic office and this whole time he was an academic physician. It took Covid to bring out the truth.

The only person that's cleared him from working for the AD is fucking TurfToe and they both claim to be epidemiologists or some bullshit like that. Hold up, let me pm my boy locomotivebreath and I'll get back at you with the deets.

Med schools do interviews, which adds some variability to the process (though schools are trying to standardize the interview approach and the pandemic is accelerating that). But really it is just that med school admissions are extremely competitive.

Every school is different, but they basically use a combo of MCAT and GPA to exclude a large number of applicants. For those that pass the initial step, schools then look at the undergrad the student attended (especially if it is the same as the med school), their overall GPA, their science GPA, their MCAT score, and their interview.

The undergrad premed advising also plays a big role in students being accepted. Schools with successful premed advising will get a large number of students into medical schools because they know how the system works.

For all these reasons, it is very beneficial to attend a small, highly ranked undergrad that is associated with a medical school, if one wants to go into medicine.

The only person that's cleared him from working for the AD is fucking TurfToe and they both claim to be epidemiologists or some bullshit like that. Hold up, let me pm my boy locomotivebreath and I'll get back at you with the deets.

Please notify me if I pass the clearing process.

Would someone with a WSJ (the NY one, not the "we lay off our Wake Forest correspondents" one) subscription be kind enough to share Wake's ranking:

Would someone with a WSJ (the NY one, not the "we lay off our Wake Forest correspondents" one) subscription be kind enough to share Wake's ranking:

Wake 64

Duke 5
Vanderbilt 17
Emory 24
UNC 33

UVA 51

Lehigh 58
Davidson 59
University of Richmond 59
Texas Austin 61
Vassar 62
Bates 63

Last edited:
Everything Rafi posts is to glug glug on Wake Forest, maybe its because its the only world he knows but think about the praise for the benefits of attending a small highly ranked undergrad associated with a medical school, how many schools does that encompass, a handful? Even the mention that once you are in medical school it doesn't matter where you attend. There is always a hierarchy and where you went to medical school matters, hence the Ross university joke. Why mention this, maybe its because Wake's medical school isn't all that highly ranked.

Everything Rafi posts is to glug glug on Wake Forest, maybe its because its the only world he knows but think about the praise for the benefits of attending a small highly ranked undergrad associated with a medical school, how many schools does that encompass, a handful? Even the mention that once you are in medical school it doesn't matter where you attend. There is always a hierarchy and where you went to medical school matters, hence the Ross university joke. Why mention this, maybe its because Wake's medical school isn't all that highly ranked.

Maybe Wake's med school isn't all that highly ranked, but the human body is pretty similar all around the world and, as a wise man once said, "It's all pink on the inside."

Everything Rafi posts is to glug glug on Wake Forest, maybe its because its the only world he knows but think about the praise for the benefits of attending a small highly ranked undergrad associated with a medical school, how many schools does that encompass, a handful?

There are 155 MD schools in the US. Off the top of my head, this applies to about 25 schools.

No opinion on Rafi.

Lou Gossett, Jr. aka turftoega, however, is the biggest fucking loser douchebag cunt on the entire board.

Even the mention that once you are in medical school it doesn't matter where you attend. There is always a hierarchy and where you went to medical school matters, hence the Ross university joke.

There are several reasons why this is the case. First, residency is done through a match, so it's a very different process than applying for medical school. Second, the interview day is way more important, and it typically starts the night before with a dinner with current residents and then lasts the entire following day. A lot of the decisions are based on this visit (just as they are with faculty applicants). Third, all med students take Step exams, with scores that are heavily emphasized and used to compare students and their medical knowledge, so the school itself is less emphasized (though scores are going away for Step 1 starting in 2023, so the school may receive more emphasis (though what will likely happen is Step 2 will receive the increased emphasis)).

Back