• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

US News Rankings: We're No. 28! Yay......at $75K a year?

There are several reasons why this is the case. First, residency is done through a match, so it's a very different process than applying for medical school. Second, the interview day is way more important, and it typically starts the night before with a dinner with current residents and then lasts the entire following day. A lot of the decisions are based on this visit (just as they are with faculty applicants). Third, all med students take Step exams, with scores that are heavily emphasized and used to compare students and their medical knowledge, so the school itself is less emphasized (though scores are going away for Step 1 starting in 2023, so the school may receive more emphasis (though what will likely happen is Step 2 will receive the increased emphasis)).

You are wasting your time explaining anything to that jagoff. He's just mad that he can't ban you for disagreeing with him like he could when he was the deaconsports.com hall monitor.

Last edited:
LOL. I'm coming around on this guy. So dedicated to the bit

he also got in to some good schools

point being that the med school admissions process seems pretty inconsistent

Nearly 20 years ago when I was applying, medical schools had the generic primary and then their own secondary applications (maybe still do?). A classmate and friend of mine got a letter from a school that not only declined to send her a secondary application, but the letter also went as far as to say that she should consider other career paths. She was accepted to multiple respectable allopathic schools during the same cycle, attended and graduated from one, and went on to graduate from a reputable residency. So yeah, inconsistent is a pretty good word.

I'm an academic physician that works on a medical school admissions committee.

Nice!

I am also a physician and find it hard to imagine that you somehow think where one does medical school and residency doesn't matter. And I suppose my experience of getting into and attending med school and residency may be different than what you typically see. But I know a lot of my fellow MD friends have similar stories to mine. But we may be atypical. :)

Last edited:
Didn’t you go to a small, regional med school and still end up in a fairly competitive specialty?

If this is meant for me, then yes. I did ECU for med school. And am now an otolaryngologist (ENT). Which is top 3-4 most competitive residencies. But my path to ECU and also to my residency was not a smooth one. Wake/Hugo Lane did less than nothing to help me get into med school.

Anyway I obviously work with other doctors all the time. As a surgeon there is no replacing the training and exposure that you get in residency. The things I did more of then I am extremely good at now. The things I did less of now require more thought and I may not even do them. The place where a person does residency (at least as a surgeon) absolutely matters and I can't really imagine someone who does what we/I do feeling otherwise.

Last edited:
Well, I meant Duke Medical School. I typically can't stand Duke but I have to admit if I see a Duke medical degree on the wall in the Doc's office I feel better. They are one of the best in the world, no doubt.
Until they catch you on fire.

Fuck duke

I'd walk straight out of the office if I saw a duke diploma in the wall

Didn’t you go to a small, regional med school and still end up in a fairly competitive specialty?

TR gets it. Once you get in to medical school, you are pretty much set. And one of the biggest keys to getting into medical school is going to a prestigious undergrad with connections to a medical school. I've interviewed thousands of applicants for medical school, residency, and fellowship, and this formula remains. In fact, the undergrad importance is actually increasing because of the growth of early assurance programs, which are only available to students at certain undergrad schools. Here is Wake's https://school.wakehealth.edu/Education-and-Training/MD-Program/Early-Assurance-Program

TR gets it. Once you get in to medical school, you are pretty much set. And one of the biggest keys to getting into medical school is going to a prestigious undergrad with connections to a medical school. I've interviewed thousands of applicants for medical school, residency, and fellowship, and this formula remains. In fact, the undergrad importance is actually increasing because of the growth of early assurance programs, which are only available to students at certain undergrad schools. Here is Wake's https://school.wakehealth.edu/Education-and-Training/MD-Program/Early-Assurance-Program

This is wild to me. And you've failed to really clarify your prior wild statement about where you go to med school and residency not mattering. I believe that you're a Neurosurgeon. That being the case I find it hard to imagine you don't think where you did residency for that matters. You think all programs are the same? They all meet minimum requirements but each has it's own unique flavor.

Further, you somehow think that it's a level playing field trying to get into a high powered residency from a small regional medical school as it is a high powered top tier med school? I'm going to guess from what you've said that you have no concept of what it's like at a public med school. I absolutely loved my time at ECU and am forever indebted to them for taking a chance on me. But if you think similar or even better Step I/II and grades at ECU will get me the same place as Duke or other top tier allopathic med school- then I've got not idea where you're coming from.

This is wild to me. And you've failed to really clarify your prior wild statement about where you go to med school and residency not mattering. I believe that you're a Neurosurgeon. That being the case I find it hard to imagine you don't think where you did residency for that matters. You think all programs are the same? They all meet minimum requirements but each has it's own unique flavor.

Further, you somehow think that it's a level playing field trying to get into a high powered residency from a small regional medical school as it is a high powered top tier med school? I'm going to guess from what you've said that you have no concept of what it's like at a public med school. I absolutely loved my time at ECU and am forever indebted to them for taking a chance on me. But if you think similar or even better Step I/II and grades at ECU will get me the same place as Duke or other top tier allopathic med school- then I've got not idea where you're coming from.

I think you’re misunderstanding my argument, which is probably my fault. Yes, training matters and residencies vary. But look at it like this - only 40% of applicants to medical school get accepted somewhere (some schools accept fewer than 5% of applicants) whereas 95%+ of med students get a residency. Even in the most competitive specialties, 75%+ get a position. So statistically the biggest challenge is getting into med school, which is why the undergrad matters so much.

You know what they call the guy that graduates last in his med school class?

Doctor.

Like most jobs, once you’re into medical school it’s mostly about how you perform (including getting along well with others) and connections you make. Of course it matters in some ways where you are. But if you’re successful anywhere you can do pretty much what you want, for the most part.

Haha, in my field the majority of graduates from PhD programs will never even get an *interview* for a shot at a permanent position.

Thus getting into medical school is sort of like a like a first job in your chosen field...apparently unlike pursing a PhD.

Haha, in my field the majority of graduates from PhD programs will never even get an *interview* for a shot at a permanent position.

Shoulda gone to Duke, bro.

Thus getting into medical school is sort of like a like a first job in your chosen field...apparently unlike pursing a PhD.
Except you are paying to go to medical school and in a phd program you are generally paid (though not well).
Shoulda gone to Duke, bro.
1) ew, no!

2) they're not doing any better.

Back