• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

US Olympic Team Opening Ceremony Uniforms

WakeGal

Reaction score
Designed by Ralph Lauren:

olympics-300x400.jpg

The uniforms are getting criticism because people feel that the design is not "American" enough and because they were made in China. Harry Reid is asking for the team to "burn them".

Articles:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/13/sport/us-uniform-controversy/index.html?hpt=hp_c1
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...de-team-usa-olympic-uniforms/?test=latestnews

Just my opinion, but the uniforms reflect the clothing that is generally made by Ralph Lauren. There is no shock in the style. People throughout the US well Ralph Lauren and Polo clothes. I think its just a waste of time for people to ask that they be burned, destroyed, or replace.

Mods: Move this if it need to go to the sports board.

Wait... is there really a polo logo on the uniforms? If so that is stupid and should be replaced with a flag or something. Also, the berets are stupid as is having them made in China. Burning them is also a stupid thing to do.

Wait... is there really a polo logo on the uniforms? If so that is stupid and should be replaced with a flag or something. Also, the berets are stupid as is having them made in China. Burning them is also a stupid thing to do.

US doesn't pay for the uniforms. They are privately paid for, so there probably is a Polo logo on them.

In 2008, the uniforms had on the Polo logo and they wore berets too.

us-team-kobe-bryant-and-lebron-james.jpg

Ugh. I've never liked white pants, the berets are plain effin stupid and bojangle is correct about the Polo label.

I don't care for them. They look like school uniforms mixed with flight attendant uniforms. The hats are awful. The prominence of the Ralph Lauren logo is annoying. I didn't even realize they were made in China when I first saw them... that's just lame.

Yeah, the Polo logo is totally lame. I don't go for double-breasted sportcoats either. The beret is just plain stupid. Ralph is out of touch with this design. Americans don't typically spend the summer in the Hamptons wearing white bucks.

This is the look we should have been going for:

patriot-3038.jpg

agree with all of this. burning them is dumb, but yeah, those uniforms don't look even remotely american, and why the heck are we having our US Olympic apparel made in china?!

Are those the hats they wore in 2008? That is a newsie hat, which is still don't love but its better than those berets.

I hated the polo logo last time and I hate it this time. I get why they do it but I hate it.

The thing that irks me the most is the manufacturing of the uniforms in China.

The IOC has strict limits on logos on the uniforms at the Olympics. I personally have no problem with Ralph Lauren getting a logo on there. I'm sure that we'll see logos for Speedo, Nike, Adidas, etc. in all of the competitions.

US doesn't pay for the uniforms. They are privately paid for, so there probably is a Polo logo on them.

In 2008, the uniforms had on the Polo logo and they wore berets too.

us-team-kobe-bryant-and-lebron-james.jpg

That's not a beret. That's a driving cap.

It is a problem if, in looking at the picture in this thread, I can imagine the french flag being carried by the lead guy and it seems more fitting.

The IOC has strict limits on logos on the uniforms at the Olympics. I personally have no problem with Ralph Lauren getting a logo on there. I'm sure that we'll see logos for Speedo, Nike, Adidas, etc. in all of the competitions.

That's a good point. I don't know why the Polo logo bothers me and the others don't but your post makes total sense. Never thought of it like that.

Oh for sure, that is far from my biggest problem with the uniforms. Its about number 29 on the things that are bad.

The thing that bothers me about the Polo logo on the blazer is that it just looks bad. Nobody would buy a jacket with that big ugly logo on it. There is nothing fashionable about an ugly outfit.

"We take great pride in our Olympic athletes and try to watch them through as many of the trials as possible,” Pelosi told reporters during a congressional briefing. “I can’t wait to stay up all night to see as much as possible of them. We take such pride and they work so hard. They represent the very best and they’re so excellent, it’s all so beautiful.

“And they should be wearing uniforms made in America,” Pelosi said.

How late do you have to stay up to watch an event in London?

it does look very french/flight attendantesque. and not particularly in-style either. the ladies version looks very 80s with that swingy a-line skirt. a pencil would have been much more flattering/in-the-moment.

The Made in China bit doesn't really bother me. My clothes aren't made in the US for the most part. Ralph Lauren doesn't typically make his clothes in the US. Nike sure as hell doesn't make its clothes here. Why should I hold the Olympic team to an artificial standard?

Beyond that, most of the gear/equipment athletes use will be made in places like China, Bangladesh, and India in shitty, miserable conditions. Singling out PRL for this is silly. Especially in the context of basketball in which I doubt anything worn in the NBA is made in the US.

Beyond that, most of the gear/equipment athletes use will be made in places like China, Bangladesh, and India in shitty, miserable conditions. Singling out PRL for this is silly. Especially in the context of basketball in which I doubt anything worn in the NBA is made in the US.

That is a large part of my issue. The clothes are the clothes. To me they aren't a far stretch from years past. The thing is the US teams are privately funded, which means Ralph Lauren very likely donated something. For that the company has the right to put their logo on it and have it made anywhere. I just don't see why its a big issue this year, when it hasn't been in years pasts and the uniforms are fairly similar (at least to me)

As to those correcting my knowledge of hats - a hat is a hat to me. I can only tell you the names of a ball cap and a cowboy hat. Anything else, except those hats women wear to the Derbys, all look the same to me.

Last edited:
I personally, think that the uniforms look awful. Double breasted blazers? Really, bro? These aren't the '88 Olympics.

Back