• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

USA off the beaten path

moab is awesome. like jackson hole, though, if you are surrounded by amazing national parks it's hard for me to consider it off the beaten path.

Wondering what you liked about Yuma?
Old historic downtown, I liked the mix of Native American and Mexican history in the few museums I saw. I might be romanticizing it, I only spent a couple hours there.

moab is awesome. like jackson hole, though, if you are surrounded by amazing national parks it's hard for me to consider it off the beaten path.

I agree. It does not really fit. Fits cool town under 100K but definitely in the travel books.

This was my thought as I erased Moab.

Couple places I've never been but I think fit the bill:

Jim Thorpe, PA
stm4e85d6f761b3920110930.jpg

PC_astoria_with_salmon_canneries_ca1917.jpg

Couple places I've never been but I think fit the bill:

Jim Thorpe, PA
stm4e85d6f761b3920110930.jpg

Jim Thorpe is awesome. Right across the bridge is State Gorge Park, there is a hike called Glen Onoko. It's an awesome hike. I grew up on that trail, and proposed to my wife on top of the second waterfall:

79f6370733139da24c4924f9c7d81391.jpg

go visit the Austin Dam, in Austin, PA

web-dam-and-water.jpg

Austin Dam is another awesome spot.

Another place in PA:

World's End. It's a really rugged and dope state park:

9550ffe50c681c6c519d7b8f93eaac88.jpg

Last edited:
Another vote for Missoula. What an awesome town. Probably the only place that I would legitimately consider leaving my current location for.

Bozeman is better. Same vibe but closer to Yellowstone, hour from Big Sky and better fishing.

Ohiopyle, PA is a really nice small spot. Close to the Fallingwater House but really pretty area.

My hometown of West Jefferson, NC is really cute with some nice shops and really nice scenery. Leaves will be hitting peak in the next few days to a week from now.

Spent a nice long weekend with my wife in Cape Charles, VA last year. The drive down the MD/VA Eastern Shore from DC made it feel like a world away from everything, which was nice. I grew up about an hour away in Virginia Beach, but never had any reason to stop in Cape Charles on any drives up Route 13.

We had a couple of nice meals in the small downtown/waterfront area, and I'm sure there are more being developed. Stayed at a nice and ridiculously affordable B&B on a cliff above the beach/Chesapeake Bay, which was bordered by a national wildlife refuge on one side and a state park on the other. So other than two neighboring houses, we could explore miles of beach in either direction and never see another person. There are also plenty of other deserted beaches to explore in and around.

There are a ton of boating opportunities there if that's your thing. We took a kayak trip that stopped for a tasting at a winery. There is also a golf resort that we didn't visit.

Back