• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Usain Bolt Won’t Run in UK Until Taxes Lowered

I assume that T&F is like golf in which there's one big event with the biggest purse and other smaller events with much smaller purses. I'm guessing that what he could make elsewhere that weekend would probably pay out less than he'd make after taxes in UK. TW can tell me if these assumptions are correct.

I assume that T&F is like golf in which there's one big event with the biggest purse and other smaller events with much smaller purses. I'm guessing that what he could make elsewhere that weekend would probably pay out less than he'd make after taxes in UK. TW can tell me if these assumptions are correct.

Bolt had threatened not to run in the Olympics unless the government gave tax amnesty for competitors, which they did. He had skipped the 2010 Aviva London Grand Prix for the same reason, running in Paris instead, for which he was paid $250,000.

What did the 2010 Aviva London Grand Prix pay?

French rates are a little lower than UK rates, but not significantly.

Well I'm not running in the US until Bolt runs in the U.K., when they lower their taxes.

Here's a real world example of someone saying they'll opt out of work because of prohibitive tax burdens.

Last time I checked, 50% of x > 0.

Yes, 50% of X > 0, but if the value to me of my free time > 50%X, then I'm not going to do it. I could go work at McDonald's every day after my regular job instead of being with my family, but I don't because I value my free time more than I value the $7.25/hour that I could make there. And that is the key concept in this argument. If you already make enough to give you the lifestyle you are comfortable living, then at a certain point your free time becomes more valuable to you than the after-tax value of the additional work. The lower the tax rate at that marginal position, the more likely the person is going to choose working over his free time.

Yes, 50% of X > 0, but if the value to me of my free time > 50%X, then I'm not going to do it. I could go work at McDonald's every day after my regular job instead of being with my family, but I don't because I value my free time more than I value the $7.25/hour that I could make there. And that is the key concept in this argument. If you already make enough to give you the lifestyle you are comfortable living, then at a certain point your free time becomes more valuable to you than the after-tax value of the additional work. The lower the tax rate at that marginal position, the more likely the person is going to choose working over his free time.

So lower tax rates is anti-family?

Back