• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Usain Bolt Won’t Run in UK Until Taxes Lowered

LOL at calling what Bolt does for $20 million/year as "working". I realize that he puts a lot of effort into it (along with a lot of God-given natural ability)....but how does this "work" benefit society in any way? The answer is that it doesn't. If Bolt disappeared from the face of the earth, the world wouldn't miss his "work" the slightest bit. The guys who picked up your garbage this morning did more worthwhile "work" than Bolt has done in his life.

While I wouldn't miss Bolt. If other runners disappeared, I would miss it greatly.

LOL at calling what Bolt does for $20 million/year as "working". I realize that he puts a lot of effort into it (along with a lot of God-given natural ability)....but how does this "work" benefit society in any way? The answer is that it doesn't. If Bolt disappeared from the face of the earth, the world wouldn't miss his "work" the slightest bit. The guys who picked up your garbage this morning did more worthwhile "work" than Bolt has done in his life.

I'm mean, you can say the same thing about me though.

Should the companies that use his image to make money make that money instead of him?

Actually, yes. I seldom watch TV at all. As I've said, the last TV program I watched on any kind of regular basis was Hill Street Blues. Don't remember exactly when that was, you'll have to look it up. I'll give you a few examples: I've never watched a single episode of Cheers, Seinfeld, or whatever that show was called that Bill Cosby was in.....and I couldn't even tell you the name of a show or who was in it that has been on network prime-time TV in the last ten years or more....and probably much more.

The Cosby Show?

fucking whiner. Don't run in the UK, who gives a fuck? You run fast. Congratulations. Either carry a football into the end zone for the Jets or I don't give a shit where you run and for how much.

This is getting into interesting sociopolitical/philosophical territory. I am familiar with your sensibility that people shouldn't make more than they need to provide for themselves and their family, but are you suggesting someone's work should not be valued above a price point? That there should be a maximum allowable price on goods and services? E.g. no painting should sell for more than $x because the artist would make too much money. That's fascinating.

Fascinating? Maybe in 1848.

This is getting into interesting sociopolitical/philosophical territory. I am familiar with your sensibility that people shouldn't make more than they need to provide for themselves and their family, but are you suggesting someone's work should not be valued above a price point? That there should be a maximum allowable price on goods and services? E.g. no painting should sell for more than $x because the artist would make too much money. That's fascinating.

yes, he believes in an income cap. He calls it a "progressive tax system," but he is too stubborn to admit that he is arguing semantics. He wants to take money from those who he deems earn "too much" for it and give it to others. Income cap.

I debated it with him here:

http://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php?11939-The-Coming-Obama-Landslide-(Electoral-College)

I didn't know there was such thing as a misanthropic communist, but BFK proves me wrong again

Why should anybody be making money with it? If somebody is making $20 million....him or the company....that means that a lot of other people are having to pay too much money for something somewhere to pay for that $20 million.

what's "too much money"? i've never once complained about the cost of a ticket to the movies or a sporting event that i went to. that's probably because i dont recall someone standing next to me with a gun to my head making me go.

Well,we did have a fellow named "George" who ran here under similar conditions...

Whatever. Like I said, I have never watched a single episode.

(Didn't watch a single minute of the olympics either....and haven't for more than 20 years, at least.)

So your opinion of bolt is based on .....nothing other than being a crotchety old fart who hates everyone?

I heard about Bolt's income during the Olympics, but assumed that was from shoe contracts and other endorsements. So does he make that much from races alone? Seems like the Olympics and the World Championships are the only time you ever hear track and field mentioned.

Saw this in the WSJ this morning.. I felt the larger point was tax policy evidently can impact people's economic / work-related decisions. Seems there's been some level of debate on that around here. Here's (yet another) real world example of someone opting out of working because of prohibitive tax burdens. I totally get BKF's reaction given his personal politics :)

Here's a real world example of someone saying they'll opt out of work because of prohibitive tax burdens.

Last time I checked, 50% of x > 0.

OR he could go elsewhere and do the same thing and make more. You're assuming that if he skips a weekend in the UK he's taking the weekend off.

Back