• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

USC AD Haden: Schools should 'prepare' for O'Bannon suit loss

Because, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, grad students don't get their housing, food, and healthcare covered by the school already. The stipend money is supposed to go pay for that stuff. Again I may be wrong, but I think that most scholarship athletes get more value as part of their current scholarships then the value of a grad student's stipend. As someone said, if you want to pay the athletes the monetary value of what the school is providing, but then charge them for the services themselves, that would be one way to do it, but then you have to worry about your 18-year-old PG blowing his rent money on tats and getting evicted the day before the big game. It may be a better way to handle it for a lot of kids, but it would also bring a host of problems for others.

Depends on the program, but a competitive package at many grad programs in the social sciences/humanities includes full tuition remission, waiving most administrative fees, health insurance + dental, and a stipend anywhere between $15k-$25k. Housing is rarely included, but occasionally concentrated off-campus housing is provided, as well.

ETA: Oh, and it's often guaranteed over 3-5 years, assuming you maintain the minimum requirements, rather than the sham of a scholarship system that exists at most NCAA institutions.

Last edited:
I can't remember if I posted this already here or not. If players want to get paid, fine. Then, they'll need to foot the bill for tuition, books, boarding, etc.

Bob Stoops on paying players
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...-75-salary-today-thinks-145012307--ncaaf.html

In an open market, I'd like to see him recruit with that offering. One of the outcomes of paying players is coaches salaries would get cut drastically. I think he knows this, and that is a perspective he doesn't want to be fed.

Or maybe he's just right. He also realizes that it could destroy the landscape of college football. There are only so many self-funded athletic departments out there, so what about the salaries of other coaches like Grobe if that's your concern? His salary is irrelevant.

I can't remember if I posted this already here or not. If players want to get paid, fine. Then, they'll need to foot the bill for tuition, books, boarding, etc.

Why would they need to foot the bill when students who are awarded scholarships based on other aspects of their skill sets do not?

Daily Show did a bit on the O'Bannon suit.

It was good. It blows my mind that people think it's fine for the NCAA to make money off somebody's likeness a dozen years after their eligibility ran out.

A recent story shows how shady the NCAA is and willing to capitalize off tragedy.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab-...le-of-why-ncaa-is-under-attack-210708122.html

ATLANTA – On Friday, adidas decided to pull a controversial T-shirt that used the story of Louisville guard Kevin Ware's shattered leg to promote its latest marketing slogan – a particularly loathsome move even for the shoe industry and college sports.

The shirt featured adidas' new mantra, "Rise To the Occasion." Only the "s" in "Rise" is shaped like a Louisville No. 5, the same number worn by Ware, who broke his leg in last Sunday's Midwest Region final. The number is also on the back of the shirt. You could buy one for $24.99.

Kevin-Ware-practice-jpg_220132.jpg

The Cardinals will wear a second shirt with the above slogan to honor Kevin Ware. (Getty)

Louisville acknowledged the "5" stood for Ware, which put the NCAA in violation of its own bizarre rules and opened itself up to potential legal action. So it's likely that legal liability – not found conscience – is what stopped sales of the T-shirt. USA Today first reported the decision to halt sales.

The fact that it took days to occur and no one at either Louisville or the NCAA was able or willing to halt the campaign immediately remains the story, though. The credibility damage was already done.
And it drives home why college sports through its forever arrogance has put its entire business model at risk as the potential landmark O'Bannon v. NCAA lawsuit churns on with the capability of sending everything into chaos. Rather than bend and seek compromise, it allowed a corporate partner to exploit a brutal injury of an unpaid "amateur."
-------------------------------

College football earns more revenue than the NHL. It is voodoo accounting and waste that prevents college football players from earning real salaries. Even with expenses college football was making a $1 billion dollar PROFIT on 2.2 billion of revenue in 2010 and since then TV revenue has skyrocketed. If the NCAA loses the BCS schools will break away to maximize revenue, and then football will pay its own players instead of supplementing country club sports like field hockey.
http://money.cnn.com/2010/12/29/news/companies/college_football_dollars/index.htm

We all agree that college football players bring in a ton of money. However, you're problem is always going to be Title IX. Which is gotta be tough for you guys that love victims.

College football earns more revenue than the NHL. It is voodoo accounting and waste that prevents college football players from earning real salaries. Even with expenses college football was making a $1 billion dollar PROFIT on 2.2 billion of revenue in 2010 and since then TV revenue has skyrocketed. If the NCAA loses the BCS schools will break away to maximize revenue, and then football will pay its own players instead of supplementing country club sports like field hockey.
http://money.cnn.com/2010/12/29/news/companies/college_football_dollars/index.htm

But what good does it do to look at Football profits in a vacuum? Any profit for football is what fuels the rest of the athletic department. If you take that profit to pay players then what happens to the other sports? Good lord, how many times has this been pointed out on this thread alone? Stop throwing bullshit stats like this out there without some explanation of how you would deal with the issues that have been spelled out over and over - title ix being but one of them.

This makes sense.

Also, doesn't a D1 athlete make more than your average professional AA/AAA baseball player when you consider room and board + some of the other benefits of scholarship athletes?? Always thought it was crazy how little those baseball players make unless they are in the Majors.

Back