• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

pandora and spotify are probably good starts if you have bands or even songs you know you like. their recommender engines have gotten pretty strong. we can try some suggestions if you maybe give a genre or a few bands?

I have Pandora on my phone but never use it (I haven't used Pandora since college - 2001/2002 timeframe). I've heard it's gotten a lot better. I've never heard of spotify...is it an app like Pandora?

Spotify has a radio function like pandora, but it also allows you to build a library of songs and playlists similar to iTunes (though a streaming library, not an owned mp3 library). It also has a pay structure like pandora in that there are free and pay options for both. The pay pandora option removes ads and allows you to skip as many songs as you want, and the pay spotify is for mobile access.

alright townie i am going to the titus show tonight. i fully expect to see you there.

Junip also playing here on Sunday night. Man I love Union Transfer.

Sorry to discdude if I just bailed last night. I have a vague memory of getting in a cab.

Sweet show tho.

Also during that show I'm pretty sure Patrick kicked a member out of the band.

Any tips for seeing a show at the Charlotte Uptown Amphitheater? Parking, concessions, etc?

Any tips for seeing a show at the Charlotte Uptown Amphitheater? Parking, concessions, etc?

What show?

There's a big lot out back near VBGB. Parking is generally easy, although I've never been to a sold out show there. Seats and then a decent lawn. Concession area off the side of the stage. Food, canned beer, draft beer, etc. Typical show prices. I'd hit up VBGB either before or after the show. Great beers and outdoor patio.

Sorry to discdude if I just bailed last night. I have a vague memory of getting in a cab.

Sweet show tho.

No worries man, although we did note your quick disappearance.

The show was legit. Pretty wild night. I am recovering at the beach as I type.

Impressions of Charlotte Amphitheater:

(1) The XX are fucking awesome live. Holy shit. Totally surpassed my expectations. Best show I've seen in a while.

(2) That place is LOUD. When Grizzly Bear first took the stage, I was like, woah. Loud. Waaaaaay louder than Raleigh.

(3) Much smaller, less airy, more contained than Raleigh, but pretty neat how they have that whole little music area with the Fillmore right there and a bunch of outdoor bars and stuff.

(4) Our seats were bad ass. 2nd row of reserved seating, dead center.

(5) Back to the XX, I went in figuring that either Jamie XX or the chick would sort of be the main stage presence, but instead it was the bass player, Oliver. He looked like a cross of Michael Pitt from Boardwalk Empire and the dude from Arcade Fire. He killed it.

Anyway, a good time was had by all. Nice Valentine's Day gift from me to the wife. I would definitely come back to the venue. And the XX now get "do not delete" status on my personal DVR list of bands I will see live in the future whenever they come through. No questions asked, you just go.

Almost forgot:

(6) Virtually no reefer in the crowd. I swear you'd likely smell more grass at an Elmo Comes Alive concert in Raleigh than I smelled at this show.

Early reviews for Yeezus are out this weekend. They are glowing.

This review is a particularly fun read, and I agree with just about everything based on what I've heard from the album so far.

Yeezus is fantastic.

I've also read a couple pretty negative reviews from places I respect:

@cmgzine
Yeezus is just a disgusting album. Everything about it reeks of half-assedness & arrogance. Dude has a personality disorder. I fear for him.

@cmgzine
May the backlash of this album be swift and angry, and may he make his most populist album ever as a result.

Back