• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

I love Jimmy Herring and have enjoyed him throughout his career. The guy is unreal. But he overplays the Panic gig IMO. I mean that's his style and I get it, and I enjoyed the shows with him, but he is just too much. Houser's style was just like butter.

Didn't realize Todd was out. Bummer. I haven't heard the replacement, but his solid 2 and 4 throughout was cool and was one of the WSP signatures. And I am a fan of busy drummers.

I can respect that. I agree that Jimmy's talents are better suited for more exploratory playing than Panic.

BTW, here is WSP and CRB just ripping up a New Speedway Boogie a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:
It's been a long time since I've seen North Mississippi Allstars and they were with Anders Osborne. They were really fun last night.

Been on a big Beach Boys kick:

Just so many beautiful 2 minute pop masterpieces throughout their catalog. I feel you, Brian Wilson.

ETA -- Mike Love is still an asshole.

I'm trying to bookend this Waxahatchee show Saturday night by seeing Pipe before and Dex Romweber doing a late night Flat Duo Jets set after. If I time this right (and there is space in the bar where Dex is playing after the Wax. show) it could be pretty tight.

Last edited:
Here's a funny story: In college I set skis up at the Beech Mtn. rental shop and when Panic came to play at App they all came up to ski and came through the line and we set their skis and my buddy sold them some weed. I went out to take a run and found Nance on the side of the slope all splayed out from a crash just laying there giggling. The end.

New Lord Huron album available on Amazon Prime streaming, just saved me 14 bucks

Ticketmaster sucks

Yet, I was somehow able to score two tickets to see the STONES in Raleigh

One more item off the bucket list

Here's a funny story: In college I set skis up at the Beech Mtn. rental shop and when Panic came to play at App they all came up to ski and came through the line and we set their skis and my buddy sold them some weed. I went out to take a run and found Nance on the side of the slope all splayed out from a crash just laying there giggling. The end.
Awesome
Pumped to see them play Jazzfest in a few weeks!

Ticketmaster sucks

Yet, I was somehow able to score two tickets to see the STONES in Raleigh

One more item off the bucket list
We got ours through the AMEX presale. My wife is really excited as she has never seen the stones before.

Nice long piece on my main man Julian Casablancas in Noisey.

http://maybeyoulivetwice.noisey.com/

lede-image-crop.gif

Opening "band" for Neutral Milk in Gboro may have been the worst thing I've ever heard in my life. I literally wondered if the lead singer was autistic at one point.

Equivalent of a private christian middle school garage band fronted by a 50 year old woman with a strong south Boston accent

Been on a big Beach Boys kick:

Just so many beautiful 2 minute pop masterpieces throughout their catalog. I feel you, Brian Wilson.

ETA -- Mike Love is still an asshole.

That song stands as an ongoing challenge to songwriters everywhere. It's just confounding and defies convention to switch keys every two seconds like it does. When people say they don't get or like the Beach Boys, I completely understand. But when they say they don't understand the respect given to them, they need to be pointed to this song. In a time when we use words like brilliant and genius a bit too liberally, it definitely applies here.

Back