• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

Anderson.Paak is playing Art of Cool this weekend in Durham -- along with a bunch of other hot acts like McFerrin's kid you posted before and Kamasi Washington. I need to listen to this and some of that other stuff and decide if I want to go, but I think I have other shit going on, unfortunately, and need to save cash. Durham on the INCLINE.

Paak and Kamasi are great. Paak gonna be at Pitchfork one day. Missed Kamasi on his pass through Chicago in the winter though. You familiar with his latest? Really good.

Just checked that fest and it looks awesome. Love The Internet and Thundercat too.

One of the strongest festival lineups I've seen for my tastes.

New music festival. Called 'Desert Trip'.

screen-shot-2016-05-03-at-9-16-42-am.png

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/05/coachella-organizers-officially-announce-megafest-desert-trip/

Last edited:
Paak and Kamasi are great. Paak gonna be at Pitchfork one day. Missed Kamasi on his pass through Chicago in the winter though. You familiar with his latest? Really good.

Just checked that fest and it looks awesome. Love The Internet and Thundercat too.

One of the strongest festival lineups I've seen for my tastes.

I listened to some Kamasi because you guys were talking about it a few months back -- I dug it. Yeah, this is a cool festival: this is the third year, but they really killed it with the booking this go round. I say it's cool even though I've never been, but it's a great idea and I've only heard good things about the festy and what they do throughout the year with other events in the area.

Hmmmm, I'm actually supposed to be in Durham Friday night for a screening of Blue Velvet near where Art of Cool is happening -- Anderson.Paak and Kamasi are both Friday night. Maybe I will wander and see if I can get a taste.

Listening to new James Blake. There is a siren thing in "Timeless" that is annoying as fuck and sounds like a fire alarm and it goes on for like 2 minutes and is terrible. Otherwise, the album seems pretty good and doesn't really plow any new ground. If you like James Blake, you'll probably like this album. If you don't like James Blake, you probably won't like this album.

Any of you hip hop heads know Skepta? My Philly DJ buddy is talking about his latest.

Two new tracks have been enjoyable thus far. Looking forward to the album. The tour locations were a bummer, but not a surprise.

I really need to see them again. One of Say Hey wife's friends nearly ruined the only time I've seen them, all hammered and hanging on me, screaming Fake Plastic Trees in my ear.

Listening to new James Blake. There is a siren thing in "Timeless" that is annoying as fuck and sounds like a fire alarm and it goes on for like 2 minutes and is terrible. Otherwise, the album seems pretty good and doesn't really plow any new ground. If you like James Blake, you'll probably like this album. If you don't like James Blake, you probably won't like this album.
I sorta like "Timeless", but yeah, that siren is abrasive.

The album as a whole seems a lot closer to his s/t than Overgrown, which is to say that he seems more interested in exploring space as a singer/songwriter than in creating bangers like "Digital Lion".

That being said, "I Need A Forest Fire" and "Noise Above Our Heads" are flameemoji.bmp

Edit: A prime example of my point here comes in the title track, immediately following these two (and in general, the second half of the album is wayyyy stronger than the first half). It occupies this weird spot between a would be barbershop quartet (if all four people were James Blake) and a neo-soul jam. I haven't had a chance to unpack much lyrically, but three albums in, it still blows my mind how much Blake gets out of using his voice as a primary instrument.

Last edited:
Back