• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

Was listening to YYYEahs on the way to work today.

Miss those guys.

mosquito was one of the biggest disappointments of the last few years for me. still bummed that album sucked so much.

edit: I called it tarantula originally, that is how forgettable and bad that album was

mosquito was one of the biggest disappointments of the last few years for me. still bummed that album sucked so much.

edit: I called it tarantula originally, that is how forgettable and bad that album was

Yeah, sort of my point. Of all the great and ever v good bands of the say '05 - '12 Great Indie Bubble, probably 60% of the bands are done(or are done and dont know it), 35% are just putting out totally middling shit like YYYs, AnCo and even Yeasayer (as much as it pains me to say).

And there are probably maybe 5 bands or less that will/have graduated to being actual bands and not just bubble bands. I count Arcade Fire and Alt-J in these.

I just saw that Clap Your Hands Say Yeah are playing a bar, like a fairly shitty bar in Atlanta this month. Pretty sad.

Yeah, sort of my point. Of all the great and ever v good bands of the say '05 - '12 Great Indie Bubble, probably 60% of the bands are done(or are done and dont know it), 35% are just putting out totally middling shit like YYYs, AnCo and even Yeasayer (as much as it pains me to say).

And there are probably maybe 5 bands or less that will/have graduated to being actual bands and not just bubble bands. I count Arcade Fire and Alt-J in these.

I just saw that Clap Your Hands Say Yeah are playing a bar, like a fairly shitty bar in Atlanta this month. Pretty sad.

they sold out johnny brenda's tonight here

they just did a living room tour for like two years

i think if they were still interested in marketing themselves as a big band, they could do so

Need a ruling on Titus being a bubble band that's done/releasing middling shit.

Musicians/Bands from the '05 - '12 Great Indie Bubble that are still alive, artistically:
(bolding just bands)

I. Arcade Fire
II. Sufjan Stevens
III. Grizzly Bear
IV. Bon Iver
V. St. Vincent
VI. Alt-J
VII. Tame Impala
VIII. Sharon Van Etten
IX. Real Estate
X. Cloud Nothings
XI. Grimes

Questionable
Beach House?
M83?
The National?
Deerhunter?
Beirut?

IMHO, the best "punk" band from the 1976-1978 era.

Arguably, beat the Ramones to the punch and nevertheless not influenced by them as far as music history is concerned.

the-saints.jpg

Last edited:
Musicians/Bands from the '05 - '12 Great Indie Bubble that are still alive, artistically:
(bolding just bands)

I. Arcade Fire
II. Sufjan Stevens
III. Grizzly Bear
IV. Bon Iver
V. St. Vincent
VI. Alt-J
VII. Tame Impala
VIII. Sharon Van Etten
IX. Real Estate
X. Cloud Nothings
XI. Grimes

Questionable
Beach House?
M83?
The National?
Deerhunter?
Beirut?

I would add:

The XX

LCD Sound System and
Fleet Foxes

..might also make it. LCD obvs still sells out big shows but havent released anything new in a long while. Fleet Foxes have new music coming out soon, so will reserve judgment until then on whether they are dunzo.

I might cross off Cloud Nothings and Real Estate.

And Titus has always made good stuff and gotten basically no success for it except good reviews.

I would add:

The XX

LCD Sound System and
Fleet Foxes

..might also make it. LCD obvs still sells out big shows but havent released anything new in a long while. Fleet Foxes have new music coming out soon, so will reserve judgment until then on whether they are dunzo.

I might cross off Cloud Nothings and Real Estate.

And Titus has always made good stuff and gotten basically no success for it except good reviews.

????

Band of Horses is another pre-2010 indie band that seems to have lost it artistically.

YSYWM -- their last album was very good and well received critically.

That album just didn't do it for me. I did like it more than their prior album, but still a huge drop off from their early work IMO.

Last edited:
Casual Party was probably my favorite song of 2016. Mess Around was very catchy too.

But yeah, after those two, I thought the album was pretty meh.

In a Drawer is the best song on the album. Hag. Whetever, Whenever. Bunch of solid dad rock songs on that album.

Back