• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

Really enjoyed the new Arctic Monkeys on first listen today. Whoever said David Bowie lounge music really nailed it.

Just watched a fun "best of show" from Infinity Hall on PBS. It had Melissa Etheridge. my boys from America, Rusted Root. It finished with Fountains of Wayne. Los Lonely Boys and Joss Stone. That was a cool way to close a compilation.

Digging the new Beach House; Arctic Monkeys not doing it for me; Courtney Barnett good but not great

Day 1 at Newport Folk Fest looks fucking awesome:
Jason Isbell
Margo Price
Wood Brothers
Sturgill
Tyler Childers

This Serge Gainsbourg dub record is out there, mannn. Sounds great. Fantastic cover. Worth checking out.

R-543291-1236350214.jpeg.jpg

Glenn Snoddy passed away at age 96. Why is this important to the music world? Anybody like the sound of Keith Richard's guitar on the song "I Can't Get No) Satisfaction?" That song was the first big hit recorded with a Fuzz-Tone FZ-1 box, and Glenn Snoddy was the man who built it.

He was a sound engineer in Nashville. Something close to the fuzz tone sound happened when a power amp transformer was dying during the recording of Mary Robbin's "Don't Worry." Some other musicians heard and liked the sound, and wanted to use the sound. The amp died. Glenn Snoddy used the defects he found when he took the now dead amp apart to build an electronic device that could duplicate the sound from it. Only he put a pedal switch on it so the player could turn the fuzz on and off.

Gibson marketed the device as the Maestro Fuzz-Tone FZ-1. Others followed with similar electronic sound altering boxes. Thus we have the "dirty" or fuzzy guitar sounds on many records today.

Glenn Snoddy also built one of the first stereo recording consoles in the early 1960's. He was the engineer on Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire album in 1963, an early stereo recording. He hired a wannabe songwriter as his studio janitor. Guy's name is Kris Kristofferson. That put Kris in a position to pester studio clients to listen to his stuff. Glenn Snoddy opened Woodland Studio, where he recorded and produced multiple hits from many bands during the 1970's.

Here is the link to his full obituary in the Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...d043e33f1dc_story.html?utm_term=.e2eb5a084515

Lately I've been into albums with people in forests or clearings or meadows on the cover.

New Kanye dropped today. Actually really good, which is a huge relief. Unless I missed something obvious, he doesn't really mention any MAGA shit, which makes me think it was just a publicity thing. He does dedicate a song to reframing his bipolar disorder as a superpower, though. I dig it.

I will probably not listen to the Kanye, but that description of the bipolar song reminds me of Dismemberment Plan.

New Kanye dropped today. Actually really good, which is a huge relief. Unless I missed something obvious, he doesn't really mention any MAGA shit, which makes me think it was just a publicity thing. He does dedicate a song to reframing his bipolar disorder as a superpower, though. I dig it.

I didn't realize until today that G.O.O.D. is dropping five 7-song albums in five weeks, all produced by Kanye. Last week was Pusha-T, today Kanye, next week Kanye-Kid Cudi, then Nas and Teyana Taylor. Perhaps old news, but new to me.

I'm not a big fan after two listens. Might just be because I've been listening to Daytona for a week and it is a better version of a very similar thing.

Back