• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

I'm enjoying the hell out of this new Danny Brown album.

cool concept for a series. in both of these videos based on the buildup it seems like the covers are going to be disasters but they really come together. makes me think the vocals are the hardest part though, since you have no idea how the words are supposed to fill the lines.

There is a great chapter in the book of Fast Times at Ridgemont High about Disney Jail that didn't make it into the movie. Two other casualties were the celibate soccer star Steve Shasta, and a great Frisbee (it's called a "disc.") scene.

Wasn't there a doc about Disney Jail recently? I need to remember to see that.

p sure we talked about "Alright" as the song of the decade around these parts

really overwhelming amount of content to have an opinion about, but so begins the end-of-the-decade lists

The album and the anime accompanying it are amazing. The evolution of Simpson by album is just incredible. He’s the most interesting player in the game right now.

He is going to do a big tour with Tyler Childers. He said that this album was made in '17 and that some of the songs have already evolved from the original recording. I'm curious to see where they are going to play their shows. On Joe Rogan's Podcast he said he wasn't a fan of outdoor amphitheaters because, "all the people up front are sitting down and there is a giant picnic going on in the back."

I used to run in the same circles as Sam and Gerrit of Future Islands back at ECU. Always fun to see where they ended up. I think Seasons topped one of Pitchfork's end of year lists. They used to play at some amazing art house parties back in the day. This concludes the one cool, RJ-esque music story that I have.

He is going to do a big tour with Tyler Childers. He said that this album was made in '17 and that some of the songs have already evolved from the original recording. I'm curious to see where they are going to play their shows. On Joe Rogan's Podcast he said he wasn't a fan of outdoor amphitheaters because, "all the people up front are sitting down and there is a giant picnic going on in the back."

Great news; hadn't seen that Joe Rogan announcement.

Totally agree with mako; I think he's the most interesting guy making music right now, but I've been a homer for a long time.

In other news, caught two great shows this week:

1. The Raconteurs at the Mission Ballroom - brand new, 4000 person venue in Denver. Really sets the standard for what a modern concert hall should be. The show was awesome - the band sounded fantastic, tons of energy. Jack White is a fucking machine - I've been a fan a long time, but never had a chance to see him in any of his iterations before. Dude just absolutely rips; bouncing around the whole time, singing, slaying his solos. Fucking great show; hope this resurgence of The Raconteurs sticks around a while. Also, the no phone thing was awesome; wish more places or artist would do this.

2. The Comet is Coming at Globe Hall - heady, cosmic jazz trio from the UK. Heavy synth/EDM with spacey tenor sax on top; hard to describe, but it was an absolute blast - non-stop dance party. Small, dark, dank room with maybe 150-200 people. These guys are wrapping up in the US over the next two weeks, but they were a hell of a good show. Would definitely see them again.

Fuck yes it does. Every Fairport Convention album through Full House rips, especially the last two with Sandy Denny - Unhalfbricking and Liege and Lief, although Full House might be my favorite because of the playing and the Mattacks/Pegg rhythm section. Those guys are my GUYS. And almost every offshoot of that band rips: Matthews Southern Comfort, Fortheringay (Sandy Denny's band post FC), Steeleye Span, Morris On, most of RT's Solo stuff and the Richard & Linda stuff. Bright Phoebus, the Sandy Denny solo stuff. I love it so much.

Richard Thompson is up there with the TOP top songwriters/players/influencers of the 20th + century for me.

Back