• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

I want to give it ten more listens, but it's so good. So fucking good. I love this album. By far their easiest to enjoy. I feel like critics won't like it, though. I would have thought, seeing as how it's been streaming for a good 12 hours now, that Pitchfork would have named it Best New Music already.

Seems that way so far, I'm really digging it.

I was not a Grizzly Bear fan and did not like their last album, but am legit liking this one. More guitar, less Glee.

Droste's tunes can be very Glee-y, for sure, but he's kind of a Glee-y guy. Does he bust out the auto harp on this one? I thought that indie list you posted a while back was pretty hilarious, even though I like a couple bands on it, Grizzly Bear being one of them. I'm interested in hearing this new record.

What is the Usic thread's favorite Andrew Bird album?

Mine is probably a tie between The Swimming Hour (when he was still with Bowl of Fire) and Mysterious Production of Eggs. I haven't been crazy for any of his albums since then

New Avett officially out today. Currently, all their shit including The Carpenter is on Spotify. I like it more on the second listen...except Paul Newman. That song sucks.

What is the Usic thread's favorite Andrew Bird album?

Mine is probably a tie between The Swimming Hour (when he was still with Bowl of Fire) and Mysterious Production of Eggs. I haven't been crazy for any of his albums since then

Mysterious Production of Eggs.

30 years ago on Labor Day Weekend Steve Wosniak funded the US Festival.

Not a bad line-up:

Friday, September 3
Gang of Four
The Ramones
The English Beat
Oingo Boingo
The B-52's
Talking Heads
The Police

Saturday, September 4
The Joe Sharino Band
Dave Edmunds
Eddie Money
Santana
The Cars
The Kinks
Pat Benatar
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

Sunday, September 5
Breakfast with the Dead | Grateful Dead
Jerry Jeff Walker
Jimmy Buffett
Jackson Browne
Fleetwood Mac

New Ryan Bingham record has been streaming on Spotify since Thursday. The songs aren't as well written as his previous efforts but I like the sound. He mentioned he had trouble playing the depressing songs from Junky Star night in and night out. There are a few misses on this album but all in all it's a nice mix of new and old which makes for an enjoyable listen.

Lumineers are fantastic and that song is good and funny. We've all been in some situation like that.

The lead singer is the older brother of one of my law school buddies...one of the guys on my softball team.

Lots of good stuff on Spinner this week.

New Band of Horses, Ben Folds Five (!), and lots more.

Lots of good stuff on Spinner this week.

New Band of Horses, Ben Folds Five (!), and lots more.

What a disappointment that new BoH record is. Total 70s soft rock style. What happened to those guys? Perhaps it was because they signed a major label contract. Who knows? But dang what a lazy record.

What a disappointment that new BoH record is. Total 70s soft rock style. What happened to those guys? Perhaps it was because they signed a major label contract. Who knows? But dang what a lazy record.

Yea I don't think there's ever been a band I wanted to like more and been continually disappointed with than Band of Horses. They had their awesome debut and then quickly ran out of ideas. They've just gotten worse and worse. Had some randomly high hopes for this one, but I only made it about 4 tracks in before giving up.

Yea I don't think there's ever been a band I wanted to like more and been continually disappointed with than Band of Horses. They had their awesome debut and then quickly ran out of ideas. They've just gotten worse and worse. Had some randomly high hopes for this one, but I only made it about 4 tracks in before giving up.

The Ford commercial with The Funeral did them in.

Back