• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Utah and Colorado Skiing

My skis are probably 14 years old by now. In the market for the upgrade plus gonna grab a new snowboard this year as well.

My skis are probably 14 years old by now. In the market for the upgrade plus gonna grab a new snowboard this year as well.

See if you can find a pair of second hand Voikl Katanas in your size somewhere. They are a great all mountain ski. If you’re splitting time between skis and board, you may not need a brand new pair. I’m rocking Parlors these days because I still like to think I know what I am doing.

@Fishbelt Deac talks like a who has gone over a rock or two skiing Vermont in the spring. Mad River Glenn?

Searched briefly and saw @DeacDiggler mentioned Copper a few times - heading there in a couple weeks. Any recs on favorite runs or restaurants from Diggler or anyone else? I’ve never been.

There’s a decent BBQ place there, and a good whiskey/wine bar. There’s also a solid Irish pub kind of place.

As far as skiing, copper gets more difficult as you go west to east. Tons of good groomers off American Eagle and Super Bee. Don’t miss the backside on Mountain Chief and Blackjack.

My son just got a job out there so he will be working the lifts starting mid march - obviously I am going to need to go check on him!

Oh man, this tread has me wishing I didn't live in the mid-Atlantic. UT and CA are having record years, while not only has there been zero natural snow here, it's barely been below freezing to even make snow.

The snow reports are sounding good. I’m doing a couple of days at Deer Valley this weekend and a couple of days at Park City / Canyons next week.

Did a trip to Alta/Snowbird over Christmas and conditions were some of the best I've ever experienced...and it's only gotten better since then. What a season they're having in Wasatch and Sierra areas...

Not sure if I’ve ever been as cold as I was this afternoon. High at Copper was 8 degrees and it was damn windy. The 6 degrees this morning wasn’t nearly as bad since the wind hadn’t kicked up yet. Fun day despite the bone chilling cold - only about 2 inches in the past 24 hours, but lots of good stuff off Super Bee, which is conveniently about 100 yards from my condo.

Not sure if I’ve ever been as cold as I was this afternoon. High at Copper was 8 degrees and it was damn windy. The 6 degrees this morning wasn’t nearly as bad since the wind hadn’t kicked up yet. Fun day despite the bone chilling cold - only about 2 inches in the past 24 hours, but lots of good stuff off Super Bee, which is conveniently about 100 yards from my condo.

Youve never skied loveland then eh? ;)

SEND IT

I've only been to Copper a few times--and a long time ago--but the Reso Bowl is awesome for early morning freshies.

Did a trip to Alta/Snowbird over Christmas and conditions were some of the best I've ever experienced...and it's only gotten better since then. What a season they're having in Wasatch and Sierra areas...
Heading there this weekend with some '98 and '99 Deacs and DKEs. Any tips?

I skied probably 15 days at Snowbird/Alta the past two years, and am missing them dearly. Where are you staying? What type of skiers in the group? Looking for fancy or casual meals?

Do not miss Apres PBR pitchers (and potentially Alta Bombs, if you're into that) at Gold Miner's Daughter. The Tram Club at Snowbird is pretty cool in a dungeony kind of way. There's not a lot in the way of town/nightlife at either resort, but damn it might be the best skiing on earth.

While I'm on the thread, I'm tacking on 3 days of skiing next weekend at Winter Park after a work trip to Denver. Have never been and would appreciate tips on challenging terrain/snow quality and apres/dining spots. Staying in a cabin ~ 5 minutes from the slopes and will have a rental car. Kind of wish we were taking the train, but it doesn't run back to Denver on Monday when we fly out.

Leave early (like 6am early, maybe earlier) if you are not staying at the resorts. Little Cottonwood Canyon has routinely been closed this season for avalanche mitigation.

While I'm on the thread, I'm tacking on 3 days of skiing next weekend at Winter Park after a work trip to Denver. Have never been and would appreciate tips on challenging terrain/snow quality and apres/dining spots. Staying in a cabin ~ 5 minutes from the slopes and will have a rental car. Kind of wish we were taking the train, but it doesn't run back to Denver on Monday when we fly out.
It's split into 7 territories so there is something for everyone. If you're looking for groomers and park terrain, head to the Winter Park side. If you're looking for steep terrain, bumps and trees, you'll want to lap Mary Jane (Super Gauge and Panoramic Express Lifts). Cirque Terrain (Panoramic Express) is pretty unique - gives a 'backcountry' like experience while you're still inbounds.

For on mountain dining, we like: Derailer Bar, Pizza Pedlr, Waffle Cabin, and Doc's Roadhouse. On the Mary Jane side, Peps or Lunch Rock. Make sure you grab a Mary Jane Ale while you're on mountain. For off mountain dining, Hernandos and Deno's are WP classics.

For apres, we like to start at the Derailer Bar before taking the gondola up to Sunspot for a sunset drink / music.

I'm actually headed up there this weekend - looking forward to it!

Thanks for the recs. How will the weekend crowds be? That's my biggest fear with near-Denver resorts. We'll probably mostly stick to the Mary Jane side.

Thanks for the recs. How will the weekend crowds be? That's my biggest fear with near-Denver resorts. We'll probably mostly stick to the Mary Jane side.

Busy? Not sure how to answer - all the I-70 resorts are busy on the weekend. The Gondola backs up in the morning, but as long as you stay MJ side and/or mid-mountain you shouldn't have to wait too long. I can't recall a time where I've waited more than 15 minutes for a lift at WP.

I skied probably 15 days at Snowbird/Alta the past two years, and am missing them dearly. Where are you staying? What type of skiers in the group? Looking for fancy or casual meals?

Do not miss Apres PBR pitchers (and potentially Alta Bombs, if you're into that) at Gold Miner's Daughter. The Tram Club at Snowbird is pretty cool in a dungeony kind of way. There's not a lot in the way of town/nightlife at either resort, but damn it might be the best skiing on earth.
Thanks for the recs. We are staying in a VRBO house in Sandy. Mix of intermediate and strong skiers. We have dinner reservations at Prohibition on Thursday night, which is like a speakeasy restaurant, but otherwise open for whatever.

Back