• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Utah and Colorado Skiing

Skis question

I skied for two of the last three seasons up here in the PNW before busting my collarbone mountain biking and missing this one. Completely fell for the sport. Had been using some 2017 Blizzard Regulator 165s (they're 94 width) that I bought off my ex because they were all-mountain and pretty easy to turn etc. Was talking to a rep in a shop last weekend and he suggested I move up to around a 180/100 size. Looking for something suitable for an intermediate skier who wants to have fun tackling the whole mountain. I'm not as concerned with straight up speed on groomers.

After reading around, looking like two promising options are the Atomic Bent 100 and ZAG Slap 98 (newer, less well-known). Both would be around $500 without bindings during the post-season sales. Any opinions or other options to look into?

Skis question

I skied for two of the last three seasons up here in the PNW before busting my collarbone mountain biking and missing this one. Completely fell for the sport. Had been using some 2017 Blizzard Regulator 165s (they're 94 width) that I bought off my ex because they were all-mountain and pretty easy to turn etc. Was talking to a rep in a shop last weekend and he suggested I move up to around a 180/100 size. Looking for something suitable for an intermediate skier who wants to have fun tackling the whole mountain. I'm not as concerned with straight up speed on groomers.

After reading around, looking like two promising options are the Atomic Bent 100 and ZAG Slap 98 (newer, less well-known). Both would be around $500 without bindings during the post-season sales. Any opinions or other options to look into?
I don't know those skis specifically, but I went with K2 Mindbenders (1 ski quiver) and was really happy with them this year. I would imagine they are another option comparable to what you listed in terms of price and performance.

How tall are you? 165 to 180 is a decently large jump.

I have some atomic maverick 95s that I like enough. They’re a little chattery over hard pack.

I also have some k2 mindbenders 85s that are a little skinny to be an everyday ski but if I found a deal on 99ti I’d sell the mavericks in a heartbeat.

Skis question

I’m not familiar with the Zag but based on you being an intermediate, I’m not sure a freeride ski like the Atomic would be best. The Zag is also only 98 under foot which is fine for most stuff except won’t be a great powder ski. If you’re not going for first tracks this wont be much of an issue.

I’m not familiar with the Zag but based on you being an intermediate, I’m not sure a freeride ski like the Atomic would be best. The Zag is also only 98 under foot which is fine for most stuff except won’t be a great powder ski. If you’re not going for first tracks this wont be much of an issue.
I think 98 is plenty fine for a one ski quiver. It can definitely handle powder imo.

Can definitely understand analysis paralysis. I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever I get, just may as well make a good decision instead of a bad one

Skied the Dynastar M Cross 88s for a day or two this season and absolutely loved them. Wouldn't be good in anything more than boot high powder, but a great all mountain ski. Super light/springy for bumps and trees and plenty carveable.

Back