• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Utah and Colorado Skiing

Sounds like a lot of pansies that can't handle the SB/Alta terrain IMHO and would have to ski the same 5 blue/green runs the entire trip.

I do think Aspen/Snowmass might have the best combination of quality terrain, decent (not elite) snow, and great nightlife/restaurants in the country. Tough to beat 4 mountains all on the same pass <30 min apart, and without the miserable Vail/Breck area crowds.

Steamboat was awesome. New gondola and lift infrastructure make the mountain flow super smoothly. Only 2 lift lines longer than 10-15 min in 3 days, and the vast majority 0 min. Got about 3 feet of snow right before we got there and ~5 inches of fresh 2 of the 3 ski days.

Weird that none of Steamboat is above tree line, but the Christmas Tree Bowl area has some of the hardest, if not the hardest, in bounds terrain I've skied in CO. Skied some of the brand new Mahogany Ridge terrain which was cool, but didn't make it into Fishcreek Canyon, as that required a 30-40 min hike out.

Would highly recommend the Trailhead Lodge, the mountain village was great, and Steamboat is a classic mountain town. Our last dinner at The Laundry was one of the best meals I've had anywhere in a long time.

Didn't make it out to Steamboat this year, love that place! No more week-long February breaks.

But doing an upcoming long weekend at Tremblant as consolation for no trip out west. Anyone have any insider tips on Tremblant?

@YoungBuck95 - what's the snow situation in SLC/UT right now? It's dumping on the front range - several resorts couldn't even get open today due to conditions. I looked into taking the Amtrak to Winter Park today with the kids, but the train was cancelled due to conditions. Roads have been an absolute mess, too.

@YoungBuck95 - what's the snow situation in SLC/UT right now? It's dumping on the front range - several resorts couldn't even get open today due to conditions. I looked into taking the Amtrak to Winter Park today with the kids, but the train was cancelled due to conditions. Roads have been an absolute mess, too.
As @BirdinBama said, it’s been pretty active. I do think we’re coming up on a dry (and potentially warm) spell though.

Two weekends ago, we got 3 runs in at DV & dipped at 11am. Wind was crazy and had closed all but 3 lifts at DV. iirc, snowbird never opened and all the other resorts only had a few lifts spinning.

Took my youngest out for a few laps today at Eldora (first time) and we had a blast. It was easy to get there and back home so for Sunday after lunch laps, it was perfect.

Back