• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UVA post game thoughts - venting or whatever

Deac83

Reaction score
- the irony of this game is that it was probably our best all around game, unfortunately we didn't keep it up past 37 minutes
- what these players have not learned is you haven't arrived until the job is done. Freshmen I can understand, the problem is that the upper classmen have no experience with success so they are having similar feelings as the frosh (the DT quote 'we are/should be #15 was telling - I'm not blaming him for this especially since he's the main reason we are competitive this year).
- what I hope the frosh learn, is what DM said post game. I hope this loss burns and burns deep. At best we were a bubble NCAA team so if they have to learn the lesson, I want them to learn it this year. I want BC to remember this loss when we are up in Cameron in his Sr. year and he cuts their heart out on their home court.
- after the last three games (Syr, UNC, Mia) I think the vast majority would not have believed this team had the heart or capability to show up for this game much less play as well as they did. I know no moral victories and I'm not trying to paint it that way, but the second thing this team needs to learn from this game is if they play within the scheme and play a little defense they can compete with almost any team.
- ETA - FWIW listening to DM on the post game it sounded like he really needed a hug, and since I'm not a hugger that saying a lot coming from me. My feeling was he was trying to be rational but really wanted to just say 'wtf I can't believe we blew that'. As opposed to our previous so called coach, I believe he really cares and cares about his players. If the team believes that they will not quit on him.

Last edited:
So, I see last night did really happen and wasn't a bad dream as I hoped.

Teams need to learn to win.

Nothing says more about our mentality than what Cody said after the game: "We thought we had it won." How long has this kid been playing in the ACC?

Bzdellick was 17-51 (25%) in the ACC. So far, Manning is 6-20 (23%) in the ACC.

It will be interesting to see how this thing plays out in the next couple of years.

It will be interesting to see how this thing plays out in the next couple of years.

Only you would be taking up for [Redacted], if you're going to take up for him, learn to spell his name.

Only you would be taking up for [name redacted], if you're going to take up for him, learn to spell his name.

The spelling was intentional. Before, the mods had rigged the board in some way so that if you used the correct spelling, it would replace it with "name redacted". Is that little trick no longer in effect? (Kind of a shitty thing to do....but hardly surprising, considering the source.)

ETA: Evidently, by looking at your post now, nothing has changed.

Last edited:

Not that comparing anything to Bz is useful to anyone, but if you are going to do it at least show his first two years vs Danny's instead of his full body of work

We have a lot of winnable games in Feb. We'll see if the team packs it in and stops caring or pulls out 6 or so like they should.

The spelling was intentional. Before, the mods had rigged the board in some way so that if you used the correct spelling, it would replace it with "name redacted". Is that little trick no longer in effect?

ETA: Evidently, by looking at your post now, nothing has changed.

It still replaces it and you're still a moron, yes nothing has changed.

Not that comparing anything to Bz is useful to anyone, but if you are going to do it at least show his first two years vs Danny's instead of his full body of work

We have a lot of winnable games in Feb. We'll see if the team packs it in and stops caring or pulls out 6 or so like they should.

I said that we will have to see how this thing plays out in the next couple of year. The jury is still out on Manning, obviously.

Here is one of our main problems. Our two leaders (Devin and CMM) are awful free throw shooters. Our good free throw shooters (Crawford and Dinos) aren't all that clutch and are young. I have no doubt Crawford is going to be a clutch free throw shooter, but it is hard to do that as a freshman when you have had a failure. Doubts start to creep in. 7 missed free throws (including the front end of a 1-1), two turnovers, and a terrible foul call on Dinos (should have been a foul on UVA...potential 4 point swing) and it adds up to a crushing loss.

I only saw the second half, but what I saw was a solid basketball team. Tough last 1:30, but we played well enough to win, just don't have the leaders to finish off the game. Even in several of our wins we cut it close at the end. Need Crawford to grow into the type of player that can go get the ball and make the free throws. Brutal loss.

Here is one of our main problems. Our two leaders (Devin and CMM) are awful free throw shooters. Our good free throw shooters (Crawford and Dinos) aren't all that clutch and are young. I have no doubt Crawford is going to be a clutch free throw shooter, but it is hard to do that as a freshman when you have had a failure. Doubts start to creep in. 7 missed free throws (including the front end of a 1-1), two turnovers, and a terrible foul call on Dinos (should have been a foul on UVA...potential 4 point swing) and it adds up to a crushing loss.

I only saw the second half, but what I saw was a solid basketball team. Tough last 1:30, but we played well enough to win, just don't have the leaders to finish off the game. Even in several of our wins we cut it close at the end. Need Crawford to grow into the type of player that can go get the ball and make the free throws. Brutal loss.

We don't have that "give me the damn ball" player in crunch time. Hopefully given time that guy on the bench that was probably our best ever "give me the damn ball" player, can mentor one of our guys into that role.

I was pissed for about a second, then realized that game was such a typical Wake Forest game. Part of me had a feeling we were going to lose like that when Crawford missed the first. Have I always been cynical, or has Wake Forest basketball made me cynical?

I was pissed for about a second, then realized that game was such a typical Wake Forest game. Part of me had a feeling we were going to lose like that when Crawford missed the first. Have I always been cynical, or has Wake Forest basketball made me cynical?

Wake Forest sports in general would make anyone cynical and when Crawford missed the first, the vision of UVa making a 3 at the buzzer went thought my head and then I watched it play out.

What the hell was Wilbekin doing on that last play? I just watched the replay and he just trots along like 15 feet from the guy catching the ball at half court and allows the unimpeded pass to the guy that made the shot. All we had to do was push up a little and make them throw a shorter in-bounds pass and then contest the dribble/pass a little to waste a second or so - game over...

That banked-in 3 reminded me of the banked-in 3 by some no-name freshman in the Ok. St. game in the Meadowlands so many years ago now. We need a new slogan - "Wake Forest Fandom - It Hurts So Good!"

Believe me, you're a moron for a lot of reasons other than if you can spell or not.

Nice diversion....and you know what they say about opinions. The fact remains that you were completely unaware of why I used the spelling that I did. Try thinking outside the box occasionally.

Also, regarding my defense of Bzdellick. He had an extra tough job....he was having to try to coach basketball and clean up the swamp that Dino left him at the same time.

What the hell was Wilbekin doing on that last play? I just watched the replay and he just trots along like 15 feet from the guy catching the ball at half court and allows the unimpeded pass to the guy that made the shot. All we had to do was push up a little and make them throw a shorter in-bounds pass and then contest the dribble/pass a little to waste a second or so - game over...

So many deer-in-headlights moments down the stretch.

Another great one if you watch the replay was Crawford's "turnover" after the steal. While it wasn't a smart pass by any stretch, Codi could have absolutely gotten it as it was kinda between him and Wilbekin. But you can see he's just kind of running away from the play wanting no part of clutch anything, doesn't try to help Crawford, so he just lets it float by him and it's picked off before it can get to Wilbekin. Same with Dinos - you have one of our best free throw shooters deferring to Devin Thomas to shoot them.

Wilbekin didn't close out on Brogdon despite 5 seconds left and them needing a 3. Didn't pressure the pass even after they caught it at half court. Didn't work very hard to get open or be the one to shoot free throws down the stretch. Deer-in-headlights across the board.

Back