• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UVA post game thoughts - venting or whatever

Does "the book" have a hard & fast rule on when the guy throwing the ball in should be guarded in end-of-game situations? I understand there being a difference in whether it's after a made basket and the passer can move. I'd always guard a stationery passer in that situation.

Does "the book" have a hard & fast rule on when the guy throwing the ball in should be guarded in end-of-game situations? I understand there being a difference in whether it's after a made basket and the passer can move. I'd always guard a stationery passer in that situation.

He wasn't stationary, so the book would typically value the extra defender over putting someone on the inbounder. Being up 2 instead of 3 would also lean extra defender to prevent a Laettner-style pass downcourt for a 2 point attempt. I wouldn't consider it hard and fast though - when you have a 7'1" guy like Moore available it would certainly be tempting to put him on the ball.

He wasn't stationary, so the book would typically value the extra defender over putting someone on the inbounder. Being up 2 instead of 3 would also lean extra defender to prevent a Laettner-style pass downcourt for a 2 point attempt. I wouldn't consider it hard and fast though - when you have a 7'1" guy like Moore available it would certainly be tempting to put him on the ball.

If the inbounder has to remain stationary, yes, if he can run the baseline not at much. Moore wouldn't be able to keep up a lot of guys running the baseline I don't think. We screwed up massively by letting them get such an easy pas to half court.

same night Wisconsin was up 3 on Indiana with about 3.5 seconds left after a made free throw i believe they full court pressed not guarding the inbounder and stole the ball after a short pass inbounds, game over.
Thats how you play to win and not play to not lose.
just my 2 cents

Not true at all. From day 1 I've said this team should be an NIT team, and if not that lands squarely on Manning. I've been critical of plenty of coaching moves so far. Bad lineups, lack of timeout usage, the misuse of Moore, the overplaying of VanHorn, the lack of preparation for Syracuse and lack of adjustments when Cooney started off hot.

But the posters who feel that coaches essentially play the games themselves - that coaching misses free throws and coaching blows defensive assignments and coaching misses open layups - I've played way too much organized basketball in my life to buy into that garbage. Sometimes players simply play poorly, and I really don't care how the anti-Manning folks try to label me. We built a big lead against a good team. Our offense was deliberate and efficient. We took away most of the things they like to do and made the game uncomfortable for them. There was a lot of good in that game before the meltdown, and it seems like certain posters want to believe when we're good the players are winning and when we're bad the coaches are fucking up. They want to see Manning stomping around and screaming at refs or he's not doing his job. They demand shit like moving Devin to the 3.

Sorry but a lot of it is laughable. Some of it like the above question and what ChrisL was posting about is interesting strategy and I enjoy discussing it. Generally a guy who's been in coaching for as long as Manning has is not going to do something that is just completely idiotic, no matter what certain posters believe.

You would think so, but then there was the last 2 1/2 minutes of the 1st half against Syracuse.

probably already mentioned, but "around the horn" had a buy or sell segment for Wake/UVA. The old guy who looks sickly(maybe bob plashke?) said Wake was begging to lose that game. Hey, at least we are getting publicity out of this debacle lol

"Wake Forest" is now a verb: :(

I think that it was Dakich last night calling the Oregon-Arizona game that warned Oregon not to "Wake Forest" the late game possessions in their win at Arizona.

"Wake Forest" is now a verb: :(

I think that it was Dakich last night calling the Oregon-Arizona game that warned Oregon not to "Wake Forest" the late game possessions in their win at Arizona.

Munsoned.

kingpin-makes-its-blu-ray-debut-on-october-14.jpg

Back