• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Value of used car

ilovewfu

Reaction score
I'm selling my 2003 Tahoe. What's the best way to find out what it's worth, aka what I should sell it for? When I google it, a bunch of different sites come up and some of them want to charge me for an estimate. Thanks for the help.

kbb.com will give a good estimate

eta: tsy beat me by a couple seconds

Also, go to cars.com and autotrader.com and ebay/craigslist and see what others are selling similar year/conditions for.

because of the thread huh. took a look around and didn't like what you saw. here's to the boards helping doing some good!

Also, go to cars.com and autotrader.com and ebay/craigslist and see what others are selling similar year/conditions for.

Along this same line, just because that may be what its worth, they might not be selling price that they're going for. Usually its a little lower than the price. 90s era Hondas are actually going a little above KBB price because the demand for fuel efficient cars is up.

My offers for most of the easy places to sell the car have been around 60% of KBB value (autotrader/carmax) etc.

If you're putting it on Craigslist, check out what other people are asking for similar cars. Nothing is worse than that one dude who is like $2K more expensive than everyone else for no apparent reason.

Very helpful advice. Thanks, everyone. FYI (pronounce "fwhy"), the reason I'm selling it is b/c I'm going to be living in D.C. and a big-ass Tahoe will be impossible to park, and it'll just get the shit beat out of it.

My offers for most of the easy places to sell the car have been around 60% of KBB value (autotrader/carmax) etc.

My experience as well. Depending on how much the car is worth overall, the 40% hit can be worth it. I sold my last car to Carmax and got almost exactly 60% KBB value, but I wasn't buying a new car and I didn't want to deal with all of the crazies on Craigslist. I just wanted to be done with it.

Very helpful advice. Thanks, everyone. FYI (pronounce "fwhy"), the reason I'm selling it is b/c I'm going to be living in D.C. and a big-ass Tahoe will be impossible to park, and it'll just get the shit beat out of it.

People laugh at the tiny-ass cars that my wife and I drive, but we can park virtually anywhere. And in less than 3 weeks we are moving to a street-parking only house, so the smallness is going to pay off even more. Where in DC you moving?

People laugh at the tiny-ass cars that my wife and I drive, but we can park virtually anywhere. And in less than 3 weeks we are moving to a street-parking only house, so the smallness is going to pay off even more. Where in DC you moving?

definitely recommend. I hate parking with my car, and its just a normal sized sedan.

My experience as well. Depending on how much the car is worth overall, the 40% hit can be worth it. I sold my last car to Carmax and got almost exactly 60% KBB value, but I wasn't buying a new car and I didn't want to deal with all of the crazies on Craigslist. I just wanted to be done with it.

i did the same.

why i love my lady's old camry. runs everytime i want it to, and i dont give a shit when someone bumps the bumper.

Moving into a brownstone on one of the little streets near 18th and T. Right near Lauriol Plaza. Super tight parking.

Moving into a brownstone on one of the little streets near 18th and T. Right near Lauriol Plaza. Super tight parking.

Yeah, parking around there isn't awesome. Good call getting rid of the Tahoe.

NADA is supposed to be more accurate than KBB from what I'm told.

NADA is supposed to be more accurate than KBB from what I'm told.

NADA usually gives estimates on the high end of the spectrum. So unless you are talking to a delusional BMW owner, asking NADA price is going to be a tough sell.

I'm selling my 2003 Tahoe. What's the best way to find out what it's worth, aka what I should sell it for? When I google it, a bunch of different sites come up and some of them want to charge me for an estimate. Thanks for the help.

take it to carmax and get them to appraise it.

(or use kelly blue book)

Back