• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Value of used car

Question: once in undergrad, someone clipped the shit out of my car when it was parked one day and destroyed the passenger side mirror. I got a used one from a junkyard and had it installed at a Chevy dealership. It works and looks fine, so it's not a problem, but will this show up if they get a carfax or whatever? Should I ask them to consult the car fox instead?

My method of selling my last two cars:

Go to CarMax, get offer. Go to Kelly BB and Craigslist/Ebay for true max value.

Pick a number higher than CarMax, lower than BlueBook, and post in craigslist, assuming the differential is worth the effort. Deal with email only, weed out non-serious buyers immediately, set up one day and have the top 3 come drive the car. Stress to all that it's first come first serve.

In both cases I got significantly more than CarMax with very little time commitment ($3k minimum). Couple hours of internet work and one day of test drives. Sold it to the first person to drive it both times. Just be upfront and explain why you priced it where you did, tell them it's not negotiable because you know it's a fair price, show them the carmax report to assure them it's in good shape.

Question: once in undergrad, someone clipped the shit out of my car when it was parked one day and destroyed the passenger side mirror. I got a used one from a junkyard and had it installed at a Chevy dealership. It works and looks fine, so it's not a problem, but will this show up if they get a carfax or whatever? Should I ask them to consult the car fox instead?

If you took it to a dealer, yes it will be on the Carfax- depending on when it happened. Obviously things done pre-Carfax aren't there. Duh.

i doubt its on carfax as an accident. it may be on carfax as going to the dealership for service, but the accidents that show up on carfax are accident reports from the dmv.

What difference does it make? It broke and you fixed it. BFD. I'm pretty sure that original mirrors aren't a big selling point.

Very helpful advice. Thanks, everyone. FYI (pronounce "fwhy"), the reason I'm selling it is b/c I'm going to be living in D.C. and a big-ass Tahoe will be impossible to park, and it'll just get the shit beat out of it.

But if you get rid of the Tahoe, how will people in DC know you are a Republican?

Has anyone gone through Phil Baharned? I hear he can really sell a car.

I always park my used cars out in front of our office at Market and Tate with a For Sale Sign. Usually sell them in a day or two.

Back