• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Video Game Thread - $70 Zelda Expansion!

Only if you have a 4k tv or intend on getting one soon.

There are some cheap 4K TVs on the market now. Thinking about getting a PS4 Pro to not share with my boys.

So you can get an Xbox and a PS4 now for under $200? Is there a major reason to shell out for the more powerful versions of those consoles?

If you're asking that question, the easy answer is "no". The more powerful versions are for folks who care about 4K, or want better performance in games that have enhanced support, or whatever. They already know they want the more powerful one. If that isn't on your radar, don't worry about it and get a great deal on an Xbox or PS4. If you're deciding between the two, PS4 next year has Spiderman, Last of Us 2, and God of War as exclusives next year. All very good reasons to own a PS4.

Amazon has wolfenstein the 2 pack for 15, went with that

Hope you enjoy. A great deal on two really fun games. Old Blood doesn't have as much of the narrative that people really loved in New Order, so you might start with New Order even though chronologically Old Blood takes place first.

If you prepay for a year of Humble Monthly ($132) today, you get $20 in Humble Store credit.

That breaks down to $9.33/mo, assuming you use the $20 credit in the Humble Store, and their prices are usually as good or better than Steam anyway. And it's not only for new subscribers-- you can do this even if you already have an active sub.

this is my referral link (https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly?refc=75H3nS), but I might actually re-up early for the free $20 too

Last edited:
Costco has several Switch games for under $50 including Odyssey.

I get why it's a thing, but every time I have to buy a physical copy of a game and have it shipped to me for less than half the cost of just buyig a code to download it... I die a little inside.

I get why it's a thing, but every time I have to buy a physical copy of a game and have it shipped to me for less than half the cost of just buyig a code to download it... I die a little inside.

game prices are weird, man

i feel like digital prices have way deeper sales after a while, but for new games, yeah physical is always cheaper

It's nuts that Super Mario Odyssey cost the same as Super Mario Bros 2 did back in the day, $59.99.

It's nuts that Super Mario Odyssey cost the same as Super Mario Bros 2 did back in the day, $59.99.

That is pretty crazy. Inflation would about double the price, so games are half as cheap. I think people are just used to spending $50-60 per game, so that's set in stone.

Yeah. I read an article about this a few years ago. I think that was part of the explanation. Given advances in technology, that price point is probably more profitable than it was 30 years ago.

Yeah. I read an article about this a few years ago. I think that was part of the explanation. Given advances in technology, that price point is probably more profitable than it was 30 years ago.

Video games are a great deal as far as entertainment dollars go. $60 for dozens of hours of fun is great. I took my family to the movies and spent close to $100.

Dozens of hours of entertainment for one person versus a family though (just to point out not quite an apples to apples comparison)

A family of four can all play at the same time or take turns playing or watching one or two people play.

If you're asking that question, the easy answer is "no". The more powerful versions are for folks who care about 4K, or want better performance in games that have enhanced support, or whatever. They already know they want the more powerful one. If that isn't on your radar, don't worry about it and get a great deal on an Xbox or PS4. If you're deciding between the two, PS4 next year has Spiderman, Last of Us 2, and God of War as exclusives next year. All very good reasons to own a PS4.

Hope you enjoy. A great deal on two really fun games. Old Blood doesn't have as much of the narrative that people really loved in New Order, so you might start with New Order even though chronologically Old Blood takes place first.

Thanks will do

It's the opposite.

In general, advances in tech make it considerably more expensive to make a game these days, not less. It takes an artist a lot longer to make a character for Odyssey than it did for Super Mario Bros 2. Every increase in resolution we've gone through requires an increase in man hours/months. Art, design, animation, programming...

We made Morrowind with 30-35 people. Skyrim took 3 or 4 times as many people, plus outsourcing, for a game that cost the same $60.

Well keep in mind that platforms still take a big cut. Usually it's B&Ms undercutting prices, not digital.

For some good insight into the development of games and the costs that go with it I'd suggest reading the book Blood, Sweat, and Pixels by Jason Schreier. It covers the development of a lot of big name titles as well as indie games and talks about the difficulties in making a game. Definitely worth reading in my opinion.

Back