• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Video Game Thread - $70 Zelda Expansion!

Two years ago I talked with Joshua Johnson, then from NPR 1A and now on MSNBC. He’s a big video game nerd. I was playing Spider-Man at the time because he highly recommended it on 1A. He raved about Detroit Almost Human and told me I had to play it. I was also surprised by the reviews so I never picked it up.

Glanced through a bunch of reviews - seems like there was a lot of backlash over the slave-focused story, which given the times I get why it was a loaded subject to tackle. Plus there was a lot of vitriol over the QuickTime/button mash events. I guess I didn’t love those parts but given the genre they didn’t feel criminal. But outside of that the acting and characters were great, plot was solid, the amount of depth to the world and the options for every chapter unfolding - I thought it was extremely entertaining. Paused playing God of War for it.

I've probably played about 15 - 20 hours of Tribes of Midgard, and although it's not what I expected, I'm really enjoying it.

While the video in the link above gives a decent overview, there are some things about it that it doesn't mention. So here is how I would describe it: A roguelike game (each game session is destroyed once you've either beaten the game, your base is destroyed, or you give up) with Hades-like combat where you travel around the map mining/collecting resources to give yourself upgrades (like Valheim). Each "night" ghouls make an attack on your base. If your base dies, you lose. Every 4 days or so, a Titan will begin making their way to your base. If it ever reaches your base, it kills it in a matter of seconds. Your job is to power up enough to where you can find and defeat the final boss without losing your base to these attacks. Up to 10 people can play in any session, and there are 8 classes. I think each class is really well constructed (at least the ones I've unlocked) and provide unique value to the team.

It's only $20 on Steam and I've had a good time learning it. It may grow a little repetitive over time, but I'm hoping with these sorts of graphics and the style of map generation that they will be able to add meaningful expansions quickly.
Been playing Tribes as well and having a blast. It's really tough at first, but there's a lot of tricks that kinda end up trivializing things so be careful about spoilers it there if you're thinking of picking it up. I still haven't beaten the last boss but it gets a lot easier once you figure out wtf you're doing.

Agree that it has a lot of potential and could be a game that's fun to come back to when they release new modes or seasons or whatever.

Just got the end credits in Hades. That was a satisfying ending. Gonna keep upping my heat level though.

Just got the end credits in Hades. That was a satisfying ending. Gonna keep upping my heat level though.

I still poke at this every so often on Switch. I think I'm around 20 clears at this point, and thinking I'm not too much further from the epilogue. Then maybe I'll start over on Xbox.

Last edited:

I'm pretty much addicted to this game. Took me like 65 runs just to beat him, then once I was over that mental hurdle I beat him right after. This might be in my top 10 list of all time. There's so much content and it's a lot of fun experimenting with different weapons and boons

I'm pretty much addicted to this game. Took me like 65 runs just to beat him, then once I was over that mental hurdle I beat him right after. This might be in my top 10 list of all time. There's so much content and it's a lot of fun experimenting with different weapons and boons

You should give Dead Cells a try.

Anyone follow the development of Praey for the Gods? There really isn’t much news but first time I saw a game I was excited for (since it just looks like a Shadow of the Colossus clone) that then seems like it’s in development hell and there is no real information as to when it will actually release

Very curious to hear if Deathloop is as good as some of the reviews suggest and if it’s accessible/enjoyable for casual gamers or more of a heavy lift. Anyone get it yet?

Very curious to hear if Deathloop is as good as some of the reviews suggest and if it’s accessible/enjoyable for casual gamers or more of a heavy lift. Anyone get it yet?

No, but I’m intrigued. Still have a bit to do to plat AC Valhalla. Might do Deathloop if FC6 isn’t out by then.

The reviews seem amazing. Not sure if I’ll get it but I’m interested. I haven’t played a few games I thought I’d play so I’m not sure if I’m focused on other things right now or those games just didn’t hook me in. I’m also not too big on first person games.

The reviews seem amazing. Not sure if I’ll get it but I’m interested. I haven’t played a few games I thought I’d play so I’m not sure if I’m focused on other things right now or those games just didn’t hook me in. I’m also not too big on first person games.

Yeah, like I recognize that Fallout is an amazing game, but I don't have the time for something that complex and for long each play session is. Hades, on the other hand, was great. I was never Playstation guy so I'm still working through all the free games I missed that come free with the PS5 (going through God of War at the moment) and still have Miles Morales to get through. Thought Uncharted might be next but it looks like they're upgrading it shortly for PS5 so I'll probably wait on that one. Deathloop might be up next...

I don't mean this to sound cocky or anything, but I'm curious what makes the game so difficult for anyone in particular? I beat Hades on maybe my 7th run, and then around 20 runs I was beating him almost every time. I've got 100ish runs right now with I think somewhere around 65 clears. The only runs I ever lose are using the fists, I'm pretty bad with those.

And Dead Cells is very good as well. Hades is one of my probably top 5/10 games of all time now, but Dead Cells is very good.

damn, son.

i only beat the game (end credits) because I played on God mode, which made it way more fun for a time-strapped dad

I'm up to at least 10 in every weapon. Not way up there, but still only ever lose with the fists really.

Dang. My limitation is the Titan Blood. I try to buy it every time it's available at the end.

It took me maybe 20 runs to beat the game, but I beat it about half of my tries now.

Hey DC - Why no Deathloop on PC GamePass? I know it's a PS5 exclusive for console, but the PC version is also out.

Did anyone else hit up Amazon's "New World" open beta over the weekend? I was only able to put about 5 or 6 hours into it, so never really got into PVP, but it seemed like a pretty standard grind for leveling. It's hard for me to play a game like that without comparing it to WoW, so I won't try. It seems very similar except for a few things:

1: Any projectile and most spells must be aimed/are skill shots.

2: The crafting is more enjoyable (to me) since it takes a tad longer, and the results are random. As far as I could tell, you don't just craft an item and it has set stats. It's a random roll every time, which can be enjoyable or infuriating depending on what you like.

3: I had just joined a faction when I had to stop, and I never got to run any PVP, but in general it seemed like your faction would work to accomplish quests or tasks within a given area to earn that area's influence (think more like the later WoW expansions). I don't have much experience with that sort of PvP, so I'm hoping someone here can elaborate on what that's like.

4: There don't appear to be any set classes. Any character can do anything based on the level of their weapon/armor. That level is simply determined by how often you use that weapon. Want to be a hammer wielding Warrior/bruiser? Use your hammer to level it up and unlock its abilities. Want to be a healer? Level up the healing staff. You can't instantly switch in a battle or anything crazy like that, but if you want to run a raid as the warrior, just equip your warrior gear and so on.

All in all, I'll probably buy it because I'm kind of looking for a casual game to level up and then dip into PVP from time to time. I can't speak at all to the balance or actual PVP experience though, and the reviews I've read aren't wild about the end of game raids/dungeons.

Back