• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Video Game Thread - $70 Zelda Expansion!

Just kind of insane you don't think of the last two Zelda's as RPGs when they incorporate so many heavy RPG elements (almost annoyingly so tbqh), feel like you just can't admit to yourself you might actually like RPGs 😂

just proves that nintendo makes mistakes
Or they're trying to sell as many games to as many different gamers as possible.

"I like RPGs. Is this an RPG?"

"Sure, kid. That'll be 70 bucks."

I can buy that TOTK has more RPG elements than BOTW due to fusing weapons, but I wouldn't call either RPGs.

By the way, I used a Zora longsword fused with one of the high attack lynel parts to battle a lynel in the rain last night and it leveled up to 118 damage.

Just kind of insane you don't think of the last two Zelda's as RPGs when they incorporate so many heavy RPG elements (almost annoyingly so tbqh), feel like you just can't admit to yourself you might actually like RPGs 😂

Skyrim is an RPG. You make a character and...play the role

LOZ is about adventuring as Link, a character you control but make no story decisions for

Skyrim is an RPG. You make a characterr and...play the role

LOZ is about adventuring as Link, a character you control but make no story decisions for
Oh so Witcher isn't an RPG?

You don't have to be able to customize the character for a game to be an RPG, I think we're beyond that.

You guys doing a kazillion dungeons to make your character more powerful and get more hearts/stamina or whatever + gathering all sorts of shit and crafting potions and foods to increase stats/resistances while also leveling up your armor and gear to make them more powerful: "nah this isn't an RPG"

Oh so Witcher isn't an RPG?

You don't have to be able to customize the character for a game to be an RPG, I think we're beyond that.

but, very specifcially in Witcher's case, the character choices you make significantly affect the game

again....making choices that affect your character is one of the core mechanics of an RPG

Skyrim is an RPG. You make a character and...play the role

I've seen articles about how many romances you can have in Baldur's Gate and Starfield. But Link can't just hook up with Purah.

You guys doing a kazillion dungeons to make your character more powerful and get more hearts/stamina or whatever + gathering all sorts of shit and crafting potions and foods to increase stats/resistances while also leveling up your armor and gear to make them more powerful: "nah this isn't an RPG"

so you consider like...Forza an RPG?

Only if you think of cars as people 🤔
Turbo Teen Transformation GIF - Turbo Teen Transformation Car GIFs

but, very specifcially in Witcher's case, the character choices you make significantly affect the game

again....making choices that affect your character is one of the core mechanics of an RPG
Ha, I don't think that's a hard requirement either, otherwise you can't call World of Warcraft an RPG, you don't meaningfully make choices that affect the game in that world, you just do what the story quests/etc guide you to do.

are the Assassins Creed games RPGs?
the last 2-3(?) in the series I bet would 100% fall into that bucket yes, but I've only read about them haven't played em yet, I remember reading specifically how they were trying to become RPGs vs early iterations of the game

I've seen articles about how many romances you can have in Baldur's Gate and Starfield. But Link can't just hook up with Purah.
romance-having isn't an RPG requirement either, again, otherwise the most popular MMORPG in the world the last 20 years wouldn't qualify

I've sometimes thought of Zelda as a kid's first RPG. It's gotten good enough that it is engaging and difficult for adults too, but it definitely sometimes feels like the Mario of RPGs where it is a good, fun, well signposted intro to a whole genre of games. Kids who play Zelda grow up and play Skyrim because they've gotten used to combat and crafting systems.

I've sometimes thought of Zelda as a kid's first RPG. It's gotten good enough that it is engaging and difficult for adults too, but it definitely sometimes feels like the Mario of RPGs where it is a good, fun, well signposted intro to a whole genre of games. Kids who play Zelda grow up and play Skyrim because they've gotten used to combat and crafting systems.
yeah it's a great game for kids, that's why PH's little video-game-baby-brain loves it :troll:

Back