• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Video Game Thread - The Last of Us = GOTY

The only time I "noped" out of a game was the original Silent Hill. Early on, there is a scene where you are being chased down a narrow alley by a bunch of demon baby things with no idea where you need to go. Eventually, I did go back and get through that part, but it completely freaked me out the first time I played it.

There are some pretty gruesome images in Cosmology of Kyoto that made me stop playing. Sanitarium can get creepy, but nothing too bad.

I've never played Harvester, but that shit looked BRUTAL.

Just googled those two games..... uhhhhh.... da fuq did I just look at?

The first F.E.A.R. was an unexpected spooky shooter, but I don't remember putting down the controller.

I was just creeped out a lot throughout the game.

Just googled those two games..... uhhhhh.... da fuq did I just look at?

Cosmology is a fantastic mid-90s adventure game filled with Buddhist rites and lore. There's no plot. You basically wander around Kyoto in the year 1000 and interact with a seemingly infinite amount of characters: old, poor, sick, rich, pious, possessed.

If you die, you'll end up at a different level of reincarnation and have to pass through "hell" before you can be reborn. Those scenes got to me. Over time you learn mantras and items that protect you from death, but there's no real end game - just really beautiful art and dialogue. Especially if you're interested in Buddhism.

Harvester is just a crappy 90s PC gore-fest.

They're one of the only companies in the industry that can keep something quiet this long and then drop it within 6 months. It wouldn't be all that surprising.

For what it's worth, they did a pretty bad job keeping it quiet. There has been talk about Fallout 4's development for 2+ years now, and it's all turned out to be pretty accurate...

So whats the expert advice on playing through Witcher 3? This is my first Witcher title. I messed around last night and got to the part where you get a contract to kill the Griffin. Played a game of Gwent and just messed around other than that. Do I stay on the beaten path or go out and explore? I did have some luck in searching a dead man and finding a key to an underwater chest that yielded some pretty good loot (in my rookie opinion) so I'll have to go back tonight and see what all I got from that.

my first Witcher game, too. I basically checked out all the ?'s and did the side quests. Definitely learned a bit, especially about combat. Then i finished the griffen battle and moved on.

The crafting/alchemy mechanics are simple but a little overwhelming at first.

I'm playing on the 2nd hardest difficulty (where you cant meditate to heal) and bumped up my toggle sensitivity a little bit. I'm finding it difficult to not lose a lot of health in small simple battles so I may tone it down a notch on the difficulty

yeah, after i did a ton of side quests i started to get the hang of combat:

1) throw on the shield before entering combat, then switch to the fire or force 'sign' b/c your sign stamina will regenerate quickly as you enter combat
2) use B (dodge) all the freaking time, like after every attack combo. bad guys attack on a line and you can easily circle/strafe them. Rolling moves you too far away
3) isolate and eliminate. attacking a group and just hammering a guy while you get surrounded is immediate death.

we'll see what happens when I move out of the intro map, though.

I'm playing on the 2nd hardest difficulty (where you cant meditate to heal) and bumped up my toggle sensitivity a little bit. I'm finding it difficult to not lose a lot of health in small simple battles so I may tone it down a notch on the difficulty

Same here and I'm loving the difficulty level. Combat is a real challenge. And you need to preserve yourself so you don't spend all your coin on food replenishing yourself all the time.

I also really like the crossbow how you have to take time to load it rather than it just being some instant aim thing. That Griffin battle was no simple hack and slash fest on this difficulty level.

Last edited:
The game is very pretty and deep. I'm having some trouble with the combat. Keyboard and mouse combat is just unworkable, so I hooked up a controller and that's better. Unfortunately my Assassin's Creed muscle memory keeps interfering. I think that griffin killed me a dozen times or more before I finally got past it. I have it on "blood and bones" as well and may need to bump it down so it's more fun and less grind.

The game is very pretty and deep. I'm having some trouble with the combat. Keyboard and mouse combat is just unworkable, so I hooked up a controller and that's better. Unfortunately my Assassin's Creed muscle memory keeps interfering. I think that griffin killed me a dozen times or more before I finally got past it. I have it on "blood and bones" as well and may need to bump it down so it's more fun and less grind.

So you keep walking into a group of ten enemies and expect nine to gather round and watch while you attack them one at a time :thumbsup:

Gonna start a new thread that this one can merge into so we have title control.

Pretty clear crafting is hugely important. I do like that once you make some number of bombs/oils, you replen all of them by meditating to long as you have strong liquor in your inventory. Bombs and oils have dramatically changed combat for me. Once I found enough materials to make a few of each, dealing with groups in combat because far easier.

I also use the same steps in combat that ImTheCaptain mentions above.

Finally started playing The Witcher 3. Game of the year so far in my opinion. It's like a combination of Skyrim and Red Dead Redemption with a bit of WOW and The Last of Us thrown in.

Back